campaign auto repair suggestion

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

campaign auto repair suggestion

Post by Bethrezen »

hi all

I know that in a skirmish game players are able to research auto repair tech so that there units/buildings will automatically repair if they take damage so long as there not there not otherwise occupied with orders and what I'm wondering is would it be possible to add this to the campaign game because given the games pathing issues repair trucks are completely ineffective because

a.) undamaged units are to stupid to move out the way so the repair truck can get to damage units
b.) because of the first issue they're unable to manoeuvre which is a result of pathing issues
c.) given the 2 previous issues the range on the repair beam is way to short to effectively maintain a group of units in the field
d.) repair turrets are to slow when it comes to repairing critically damage units

given this the simplest way to correct this flaw is to simply remove repair turrets from the game and replace them with auto repair however leave the repair towers as these are still needed

I know that you don't like messing with the campaign to much but realistically this isn't going to unbalance anything its simply a quality of life improvement and one that I think pumpkin would have made them selves if only they had actually though of it

failing this until such a time as the pathing issues can be sorted out make the range on the repair turrets bigger something on the order of maybe 10 tiles in diameter this would allow a pair of repair trucks to effectively maintain large groups of units in the field without encountering the afore mentioned issues.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: campaign auto repair suggestion

Post by NoQ »

I know that you don't like messing with the campaign to much but realistically this isn't going to unbalance anything its simply a quality of life improvement and one that I think pumpkin would have made them selves if only they had actually though of
I'm quite sure that such change would encounter a lot more opposition than has been there in the recent "let autorepair work while moving" flame war (the latter hardly affects campaign and was barely notice-able anyway; seeing mg viper wheels auto-repair in level 1 is an instantly visible drastic change).
speedsterharry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by speedsterharry »

Bethrezen wrote: failing this until such a time as the pathing issues can be sorted out make the range on the repair turrets bigger something on the order of maybe 10 tiles in diameter this would allow a pair of repair trucks to effectively maintain large groups of units in the field without encountering the afore mentioned issues.
Hi,

I'm really not a pro at WZ, but I don't think having a large very offensive group with near invulnerability is desirable. I'm pretty sure making the repair turrets more effective would ruin the balance.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

What will happen with the units, assigned to a commander with repair at medium damage order? It would be chaotic with the auto repair function. On the way to the repair fac. the autorepair will show the unit "oh-its ok, again back to the commander", then he will get a hit from the enemy and again back to the repair-fac.........forward-back a.s.o
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

What will happen with the units, assigned to a commander with repair at medium damage order?
well I'd have to go in to skirmish mode to try that one out to see what would happen but the point is taken although I'm not sure it would be nearly that bad given that units most of the time cant fall back anyway because of the games pathing issues at least in the campaign any way because units cant pass through each other when they get stuck

besides that's simple to deal with any way just make it so the auto repair only triggers when the units is idle the way I see this working is like when repair turrets repair them selves you set the units to hold ground and let them go idle if you take them out of idle by telling them to do something like move or attack the auto repair switches off so it doesn't interfere with normal operation of the unit same holds true if the computer starts an automatic action like returning enemy fire when attacked the units is kicked out of idle and thus auto repair switches off
I'm really not a pro at WZ, but I don't think having a large very offensive group with near invulnerability is desirable. I'm pretty sure making the repair turrets more effective would ruin the balance.
the point is taken but you are failing to take in to account that the computer would have auto repair as well so realistically it wouldn't really change the balance if anything it might actually make the game a bit more challenging because npc units are harder to kill especially if like nexus units in gamma campaign the computer actually gets a clue and uses the retreat at medium damage command because right now about the only thing that makes the computer even remotely dangerous is lancer / tank killer / scourge missile units or vtols with AT weapons or long rage artillery realistically any other units will get eaten for breakfast by a squad of anti tank units

right now a couple of squads of lancers on tracks with heavy bodes lead by an experienced commander will steam roll almost every level of the campaign and I know this to be true because this is exactly I how beat most levels save for the small handful of levels where you need to take a bit more care like the start of nasda control on beta 7

as for artillery that is simple enough to counter just use CB towers/turrets with your own long rage artillery either that or take out there scanners cant kill what you cant see and doing so renders even the most powerful artillery impotent

vtols on the other hand are not nearly so simple to counter and can wreak utter havoc even on skills players especially when equipped with antitank weapons bombs are nice but there to slow and get eaten by AAA and for taking base I actually find phosphor bombers more effective even though phosphor bombs arn't any where near as powerful but realistically if you cant actually get to the target because your to slow it doesn't matter how powerful your bombs are which is where phosphor bombers have the advantage
I'm quite sure that such change would encounter a lot more opposition than has been there in the recent "let autorepair work while moving" flame war (the latter hardly affects campaign and was barely notice-able anyway; seeing mg viper wheels auto-repair in level 1 is an instantly visible drastic change).
far enough but you have to keep in mind auto repair wouldn't repair any faster then the repair turrets do now and repair would only be active while the units is idle so as to avoid the yo yo issue mentioned by montetank so I don't actually think balance wise it would be any different then toting along a mobile repair unit or 2 to keep your squad up while you are in the field this simply eliminates the irritation and frustration of repair units not being able to repair units due to defective pathing code

think if it this way lets say for the sake of argument that repair units could move through other units so the possibility of getting stuck and not being able to reach damage units is gone how would that be any different than units having auto repair which is the same thing about the only difference is that all your units would repair at the same time rather then one by 1 but that's easy enough to account for balance wise any way
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

I moded my campaign not only to enclude autorep but any tech i want.
Attachments
wz2100-20151119_005951-CAM_2B.png
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G