64bit Build?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
nulldev
Greenhorn

64bit Build?

Post by nulldev »

From what I have experienced, dedicated 64-bit builds allow the program to use up more ram and make calculations faster correct? Why do you not have a 64-bit build in when most of the computers these days run 64-bit Windows?

For example: 64-bit Java is quite faster than the 32-bit Java.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: 64bit Build?

Post by Jorzi »

In its current state, warzone will never use more than maybe a gigabyte of memory (even in a 5v5 archangel-fest)
64 bit means only one thing: you can use more than 4GB (2GB for windows) of total memory space. It doesn't inherently give more performance, and you get the hassle of trying to find 64 bit versions of all the libraries.

So yeah, not worth it.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Add this to FAQ maybe?...
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Jorzi wrote: 64 bit means only one thing: you can use more than 4GB (2GB for windows) of total memory space. It doesn't inherently give more performance, and you get the hassle of trying to find 64 bit versions of all the libraries.

So yeah, not worth it.
That is partially true.
In x86-64 land, you got more registers. The more registers you have, the more the compiler can use them instead of using RAM (stack) for variables (and some other stuff).
That means, that a good compiler can make some things faster if compiled under a 64bit scheme.
Not everything will be faster, since this is very specific, for example, loops or functions calls that have lots of variables can be converted to use registers instead of the slower stack based method.
That means, it might be possible to have 64bit builds that are faster than the 32bit versions, but, again, it depends on how well the compiler optimizes stuff.

At this time, there is no cross-compiler that can handle everything we need for 64bit installs. They are working on it, and are almost there (last I looked, about 85% done to making a 64bit clean build chain).
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

last I looked, about 85% done to making 64bit clean
So we could at least make 54 bit builds now?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

stiv wrote:
last I looked, about 85% done to making 64bit clean
So we could at least make 54 bit builds now?
or 128bit builds in a future! XD

P.S. Btw, could the AMD's GPU PerfStudio tool be useful for wz's performance tests? :ninja: