Commander mechanics

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Ranger
Greenhorn

Commander mechanics

Post by Ranger »

Maybe it would be better if commanders did not 'take over' the control of assigned units completely (being as bad as they are at this currently) but rather function as follows:

1) Have units still assigned to them (just like now).
2) Provide bonuses to units that are assigned to them as long as those units stay within certain radius from commander. ( Alternatively, no 'assigning' but the bonus is only received by limited number of units around commander. )
3) Assigned units are still controllable by player.

:idea: :idea:
Tux101
Greenhorn

Re: Commander mechanics

Post by Tux101 »

The current system is like that. Just right click on a unit to iduvidually select it. I disagree with the radius though. In game it would be very tedious and it would stump newbies (stump them even more) and wouldn't they commander have radio contact with that unit?
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

Joining. Per slave retreat health level would be good, because it may depend on its max health and speed. User commands like movement are done immediately, than unit returns to commander commands. If retreats by health is triggered during user command, unit returns to commander control.
Hm, in this case there should be some another convenient way to release unit from commander.
Those, who sacrifice culture for bit of freedom don't diserve any.
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

Forgot one thing: current behavior of controlled engineers is awful — they are always staying on the way, doing much less work, than they being free. It would be better if they always try to target any reachable unit, just like turrets do. Or at least commander could carry about to get some units out of its way. Finally what about backward movement?
Those, who sacrifice culture for bit of freedom don't diserve any.
Tux101
Greenhorn

Post by Tux101 »

Yes. If you get a commander stuck in a choke point and try to pull back, everything gets stuck there. It's really annoying especially if you lose units too. Maybe instead of folowing the comander we could just tell all the units to move to the same point as the commander is heading towards?
rayfxrazorz
Greenhorn

Post by rayfxrazorz »

Earlier I just experienced some crazy thing with a Commander and 5/6 units assigned to it. I put them on a 'PATROL' order, you know to make them move between 2 points. And they all split up, spread out explored far beyond the area which I had selected, and actually started to Purse the enemies right the way into their bases, non stop. And the Commander left alone in center of map. It was not right!
I would think, if I set Commander on Patrol, back & forward between to basic points, the Commander would move & the Assigned units would follow, & stay in same area. no?
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Yes, but i can`t understand why you use commanders in skirmish games? It is better to play with groups of units. Commanders in campaign are fine. But in campaign there is no need for the patrol. In skirmish games commanders are useless, not only in my opinion.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

That's because commanders follow the Peter principle.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Cyp wrote:That's because commanders follow the Peter principle.
XD
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
rayfxrazorz
Greenhorn

Post by rayfxrazorz »

Post by montetank » Today, 09:01
Yes, but i can`t understand why you use commanders in skirmish games?
The reason to use Commanders in Skirmish games is, because they are actually more hardy / tougher, can take a few extra hits, they draw fire away from your other units, AND as is explained in the Campaign mode story... The use of this technology is of our highest priority ! They control attacking & aiming better (automatically), especially when a group of units comes towards you. AND, they also climb the rank ladder faster & help spread ranking rewards to other units more evenly. Higher ranking units are tougher! And when you Research the Upgrade to Commander turret IV, the laser beam also zaps their energies. Never-mind assigning factory production to them (Although I think you can assign factory production to groups too?). So many more benefits rather than groupings I found.

:lecture: TRY IT AND SEE ! :lecture:

Laughing at the Peter principle... hehehe.. :lol2:
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

rayfxrazorz wrote:
:lecture: TRY IT AND SEE ! :lecture:
There is no need to explain the functions of the commander. I don`t play since yesterday :wink:
There are very many reasons not to use commanders in MP or against Nullbot. List all them beyond the scope of this page.
But i am sure, you will find out by yourself. I must admit that I know of no one who would be brave enough to use commanders in MP against human players. Against Nullbot? Ok-if you want... 8)
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

My research shown commanders need to be somewhat 25% more tanky to be viable in serious PvP games.

Otherwise they are pretty fun but not competitive as is.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

overall I think commanders are fine the way there are about the only real problem with the commanders right now is simply the way the movement of attached units is handled but this should be simple to fix if you just do as Tux101 suggested
Maybe instead of attached units following the commander we could just tell all attached units to move to the same point as the commander is heading towards?
basically the commanders say as is except they no longer take over the movement of attached units meaning that attached units continue to move the same way they would if they where unattached and you simply selected a group of units and told them to move somewhere
Vlad123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vlad123 »

I think you should solve the "problem of the jam" when you have to go through a narrow ... in other situations the commander is "stupid" you have to drive step by step to go around the area to put it before the troops (in me has happened at least 2-3 times and I started the campaign (stand at 3-4 mission against "Collective") after years that do not play WZ2100 (computer horrible, 512 MB of RAM, no 3D card ... even a Tablet was more powerful than my old computer!)