A couple of oddities found while playing

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
RBL-VipeR
New user

A couple of oddities found while playing

Post by RBL-VipeR »

I played WZ in the 1.1x days, alpha/beta tested a lot of mods/maps and was one of the top 10 players back in the day and have rediscovered the game with much enjoyment and excitement that it has once again captured my attention. First thing, thanks for the time and effort put into the game, overall, it is a better and more fun experience. I find myself using cyborgs, flamers, pulse laser hardpoints and a lot of other newly balanced/introduced items.

I have 2 main items I wish to bring to your attention:

1. There is a minor thing that creates a lot of frustration I believe has something to do with a memory leak or inefficient code lines or introduction of a new feature, which may all be related, that creates a very odd lag with the following actions:
  • Creation of new units archetypes
  • Selection of Factories and Research centers
  • Selection of which item to research
  • The selection of which units to build for each factory & the reoccurring production amounts
  • Directing a group of units, or single unit, to a specific location
I find myself having to click multiple times to get the above items to work, and in the instance of selecting where my units need to go, it takes upwards of seconds for them to move. In the old 1.0x and 1.1x days, this use to be instantaneous. It's really frustrating knowing you could possibly lose a match because of this lag - to a point where a person wants to rip out their hair and toss a keyboard, because it happens every time one of the above actions is made.

2. The balance of archangels in relation to the rest of the WZ universe. Yes, they have always been one of the meccas of the higher researched items. However, in any game that goes longer than say about 45 minutes, this item becomes so strong because of it's characteristics, the only way to counter it is VTOL, and if the opponent uses AA, it becomes such a drawn game of impending doom for the one side the game is not fun at all (even for the winning side - confirmed) after these were made, for the following reasons:
A. Their infinite range, and
B. Their perfect accuracy.

A large group of dragon bodies (one of the hardest items to research & most power consuming items) get just torn up by these because they have both items A. & B. If there were a limited range or an accuracy factor on these after a certain range, I really feel it could not only balance Archangels a bit but also make the game more fun by giving the people under the "the gun" (so to say) a slight fighting chance with tanks rather than accepting the fate of being widdled down for an hour.

Conceptually:
- Long range artillery is meant to take out structures (and shorter range artillery).
- If under the gun by long range artillery, one should have an opportunity to counter it with an item other than artillery. Options here are VTOL or tanks.
  • VTOL can take out a chunk of things of playing kamakazie, but is countered by AA.
  • Tanks should have the ability to make it to the opponents base (exception - within range of artillery like hellfires or groundshakers, which is designed to take down higher hp items), but Archangels counter even tanks, which makes Archangels a must have weapon in order to win a game.

The above two items I feel are really big ticket items that stand out to me as very concerning items. There are a couple other things I kind of miss from 1.1x days as well, but these may simply be my preference.

One of the items was the Pulse laser weapon. These were designed to be defense killing structures - a counterpart to Scourge missles (powerful well rounded weapon with it's weakness being recharge) and Railgun/Guass cannon (tank killing weapon).

With the switch from pulse laser being a defense structure killer to a more well rounded weapon that also attacks VTOL, there really is a loss for a weapon that really effectively takes out defensive structures, while saturating the well rounded weapon category of the Scourge missles.

Back in 1.1x, having the perfect balance of lasers and rails (and coordinating them properly) was essential for having the edge over someone with just one weapon type on their units. It's a strategy I really miss having in 3.1.1, that really went that extra mile for strategic thinking.

Again, I know the devs work hard on not only this but their real lives too and your effort shows as the community is quite strong still and without you, we wouldn't be playing this! So thank you so much again :)

~Garrett
RBL-VipeR
New user

Re: A couple of oddities found while playing

Post by RBL-VipeR »

Also a bigger item here as well: game host.

The game host use to automatically transfer to an active player once the host left a game. Is it possible to bring this feature back?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: A couple of oddities found while playing

Post by vexed »

RBL-VipeR wrote:Also a bigger item here as well: game host.

The game host use to automatically transfer to an active player once the host left a game. Is it possible to bring this feature back?
If this source that Pumpkin gave the community is indeed the same as the official release, then, there is no way that could have happened.
WZ's code is the hub model, so all the clients have no idea about the other clients, only the host does.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.