Quitter host get punished

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
afinotti
New user

Quitter host get punished

Post by afinotti »

When a host quit, looses rank.
Other team win rank and see fireworks.

I think this is essencial.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Quitter host get punished

Post by stiv »

An interesting point. As a general rule, quitting is losing. I think the problem here is telling whether the host actually quit or just went away for one of the usual reasons in network apps.

Berg and I have been kicking around the idea of a lobby server that can keep score. We were thinking that if the host goes away before the game ends, then we just throw away the win/loss stats for that game. Thinking being that we don't know exactly why the host went away.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

telling whether the host actually quit or just went away for one of the usual reasons in network apps.
Well, this is not really a problem: one just shouldn't host games if his connection is unreliable enough to let this make difference.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

NoQ wrote:
telling whether the host actually quit or just went away for one of the usual reasons in network apps.
Well, this is not really a problem: one just shouldn't host games if his connection is unreliable enough to let this make difference.
That would still cause an outrage for a large amount of host if this causes a loss of rank. Think of all the threads that would be created due to this.
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

NoQ wrote:Well, this is not really a problem: one just shouldn't host games if his connection is unreliable enough to let this make difference.
Smile when you say that. Otherwise, people will think you have never worked on a networked/distributed application before.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Otherwise, people will think you have never worked on a networked/distributed application before.
Well, i haven't :roll: So it's ok if you correct me.

But in a few years of playing, i've never caused a host-quit for a reason other than overall internet connection problem, which is something i feel right to be punished for.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

It's often the case good hosts sometimes have network issues and to state a person who host with an unreliable network would make all host in-electable to host.
NoQ wrote:Well, this is not really a problem: one just shouldn't host games if his connection is unreliable enough to let this make difference.
I cant think of any hosts that I can state as having a perfect hosting record.

It is sad but just class a host quit as a non game.

My 2 cents worth.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Anyway, that might make a nice optional tick, for both hosts and guests.

Won't go far as long as all ranks are cheated-up though.