Demolition Turret(s)

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Demolition Turret(s)

Post by WZ2100 »

Why aren't the demolish structures in Warzone 2100 controllable? Demolish structures should be able to destroy any small (non-concrete) buildings, any normal cyborgs, and any scavenger humans with one hit.

However, a big disadvantage would be that the demolish structures have a short attack range. There should be at least one demolition turret.

Against large structures, a demolition turret may deal some damage. It can cause serious harm against an enemy vehicle that is close to it.
DT.png
DT.png (36.66 KiB) Viewed 7254 times
Last edited by WZ2100 on 12 Aug 2014, 18:43, edited 9 times in total.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Re: Demolish Structures

Post by Hesterax »

WZ2100 wrote:Why aren't the demolish structures in Warzone 2100 controllable? Demolish structures should be able to destroy any small buildings, any normal cyborgs, and any scavenger humans with one hit.

However, a big disadvantage would be that the demolish structures have a short attack range. Against large structures, a demolish structure may deal some damage.

It can cause serious harm against an enemy vehicle that is close to it. There should be light, medium, and heavy demolish structures.

The light demolish structure is the fastest of the three, uses wheels, and has low armor. A medium demolish structure has a half-tracks propulsion, its speed is average, and the protection is medium.

The heavy demolish structure uses tracks, is the slowest of the three, and has high defense.
Are you suggesting building them or training them in factories? It would be better for the demolisher to be a turret so that you can actually design the vehicle instead of researching the whole unit. I think destroying small structures in one hit is too strong if that includes bunkers. Scavengers and cyborgs is okay but bunkers are a bit too strong too be destroyed in one hit, as well as walls. Of course that is if they are included in the small vehicles category :wink:
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Demolish Structures

Post by WZ2100 »

Reread my post. I updated it and I have decided that the demolition turret may destroy small buildings that aren't made of concrete.

A bunker can still harm a demolition vehicle before the unit is close enough to strike.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Re: Demolition Turret

Post by Hesterax »

WZ2100 wrote:Reread my post. I updated it and I have decided that the demolition turret may destroy small buildings that aren't made of concrete.

A bunker can still harm a demolition vehicle before the unit is close enough to strike.
Just want to ask one more question; does the damage of the demolisher differ between categories like heavy and light or can it be upgradable if it is a separate turret?
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Demolition Turret

Post by WZ2100 »

The demolition turret should be upgradeable. Logically, the damage should differ and it depends on the enemy and the attacker.

I'm uncertain if more than one demolition turret should exist, such as light, medium, and heavy demolition turrets.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Demolition Turret(s)

Post by stiv »

I think most of us are still trying to figure out what a 'demolition turret' is. The little icon you show is the demolition tool for removing your own structures. If you want to remove the other guys structures, just blow them up.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I can envision it would take more courage to defeat the enemy with an army of demolition turrets than one comprised of units packing your typical ordinance and firepower. Personally I still prefer the pyrotechnics of blowing chit up rather than the clang and thud of the wreaking ball. In this instance, call me a stick-in-the-mud and hopelessly unprogressive. :)
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 10 Aug 2014, 01:32, edited 2 times in total.
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WZ2100 »

stiv wrote:I think most of us are still trying to figure out what a 'demolition turret' is. The little icon you show is the demolition tool for removing your own structures. If you want to remove the other guys structures, just blow them up.
A demolition turret is a crane with a wrecking ball.
Last edited by WZ2100 on 11 Aug 2014, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I know what it is (have even operated in RL). What I don't get is why it should be more than a Mod anyone is free to make. In other words, why should it be incorporated in the core game ? I can appreciate the comedic possibilities of demolition turret armies clashing on the field of battle like angry pots and pans but that can be done as a good humor Mod. Beyond that, I can't see how such a turret would extend core, 22nd century war making gameplay, in any compelling way. Maybe you can present reasons to counter that judgement. :hmm:
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Personally I still prefer the pyrotechnics of blowing chit up rather than the clang and thud of the wreaking ball
If you love the splash and flash (and who doesn't?), then you are going to positively hate HomeOwnersAssociation 2100 where the primary weapons are fines, liens, and lawsuits.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Personally I still prefer the pyrotechnics of blowing chit up rather than the clang and thud of the wreaking ball
stiv wrote:If you love the splash and flash (and who doesn't?), then you are going to positively hate HomeOwnersAssociation 2100 where the primary weapons are fines, liens, and lawsuits.
While the horrors of war stand alone, this new sub-genre of RTS, Red Tape Strategy, can be pretty horrid indeed. Perhaps enough to drive one to the extreme postal act of taking a demolition wreaking ball turret to the HOA 2100 HQ on the corner of Wall Street and Flip de Bird Boulevard. XD

Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Has anyone thought of having the scavengers use a heavily weakened version of the demolition turrets :)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Hesterax wrote:Has anyone thought of having the scavengers use a heavily weakened version of the demolition turrets :)
Yup. Couldn't see a viable function that isn't already served well in USM by another unit. But I could have a blind spot. Paint me a thought experiment scenario where it could serve a function that makes serious sense. I'll keep an open mind. :3

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

As has been said, you could make a funny mod, however, suggesting that a swinging steel ball could compete with even a basic cannon kinda ruins the suspension of disbelief.

For reference from the real world (I know the game is not realistic, but it still tries to be logical):

Even the lightest of antitank rockets/grenades can easily penetrate over 1m of reinforced concrete.
Then we have the bunkerfaust warhead for the panzerfaust 3, penetrates 360mm of reiforced concrete and has a follow-through thermobaric charge, possibly an inspiration to the bunker-buster rocket, although handheld.
Then we have, of course, real bunker buster bombs. These usually weigh between 1 and 2 tonnes and can penetrate between 2 and 6 meters of reinforced concrete, after which they explode inside, creating massive holes.
A modern 120mm tank gun (apparently the same as the heavy cannon if we are to believe the tech descriptions) penetrates up to 2 meters of reinforced concrete, with massive secondary shrapnel at the exit.
For thinner walls you can just use HE shells.
Even a .50 machinegun can tear down a brick wall in a minute.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WZ2100 »

Jorzi wrote:As has been said, you could make a funny mod, however, suggesting that a swinging steel ball could compete with even a basic cannon kinda ruins the suspension of disbelief.

For reference from the real world (I know the game is not realistic, but it still tries to be logical):

Even the lightest of antitank rockets/grenades can easily penetrate over 1m of reinforced concrete.
Then we have the bunkerfaust warhead for the panzerfaust 3, penetrates 360mm of reiforced concrete and has a follow-through thermobaric charge, possibly an inspiration to the bunker-buster rocket, although handheld.
Then we have, of course, real bunker buster bombs. These usually weigh between 1 and 2 tonnes and can penetrate between 2 and 6 meters of reinforced concrete, after which they explode inside, creating massive holes.
A modern 120mm tank gun (apparently the same as the heavy cannon if we are to believe the tech descriptions) penetrates up to 2 meters of reinforced concrete, with massive secondary shrapnel at the exit.
For thinner walls you can just use HE shells.
Even a .50 machinegun can tear down a brick wall in a minute.
I changed my mind and I have thought that the ball can be made of another material that is stronger than steel.