Forklifts

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Forklifts

Post by WZ2100 »

There are buildings that are unable to move in Warzone 2100. A forklift can allow structures to be placed somewhere else and vehicles can be lifted to higher areas.

If forklifts didn't exist, the player may have to send a building unit that constructs the object from scratch. This requires power and time.

A vehicle/structure that was raised to a higher elevation can protect the forklift.
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Forklifts

Post by WZ2100 »

Each forklift may only lift small buildings and specific units. Currently, my topic hasn't had any feedback from anyone else and it has been months since I posted it.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

How is that different from building a transporter, filling builders in it and building that building on top of the cliff ?
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WZ2100 »

You don't have to risk losing any building units if you build the structure next to your base and then you use a forklift. An advantage would be that towers, bunkers, emplacements, batteries, etcetera can move and attack because of one forklift.

Also, there may be more forklifts than the amount of transporters.
Last edited by WZ2100 on 02 Oct 2014, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
Kourtious
Greenhorn

Post by Kourtious »

I will only support this idea if forklifts can only carry bunkers and emplacements(mortars included).
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

WZ2100 wrote:You don't have to risk losing any building units if you build the structure next to your base and then you use a forklift. An advantage would be that towers, bunkers, emplacements, batteries, etcetera can move because of one forklift.

Also, there may be more forklifts than the amount of transporters.
But you'd lose the forklift and the building instead of the building unit.

Other weapons can already be moved, they are called tanks.
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

To be honest, there are little to no situations where a forklift would be very useful. Destroying the building and rebuilding it with trucks would take around the same amount of time. I could see that it would be useful in a low oil game where the map is super large, but in those games your trucks don't do much because tanks are superior to defenses in basically all cases and could easily destroy/rebuild. I'm guessing you aren't talking about moving structures onto hills that are protected by cliff face because forklifts can't fly.
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
Kourtious
Greenhorn

Post by Kourtious »

Starcraft.

Buildings that can lift up and land anywhere acceptable, but lets think from a different perspective.

Idea: A large vtol that is made at a vtol factory. It can carry any medium sized bulding-small sized building. It flies fairly fast and can carry up to 9 spaces of buildings. So that is 9 bunkers, a cyborg factory, and a couple tanks possibly(but we already have tank transports). Maybe its time the game had a revolution and go toward innovation, then balance later.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Kourtious wrote:then balance later.
NO ! such changes imply changes in game play AND game balance. You need to think thoroughly about those changes before making them. And envision the consequence on them.

First, it's roughly useless to build or move a structure elsewhere. About every map start with trucks around the largest most defendable oil ressource. It might be interesting and challenging to come up with a map design that would break from that rule, it would probably be balance breaking or tedious to play. Honestly I never saw a map designed that way. Therefore you already build your structures in the most valuable and most important to defend and therefore the best defended zone in the map.

Next, we already gone into all that proxy factory thing. It never worth it. Build a factory where your truck is, produce unit, move unit = move truck, build factory, produce unit. All the units are still at the same spot at the same time except your factory is more exposed to danger. Unless you plan to build extremely slow units in extremely large map, but that's an error by itself... The only way it could work is if the forklift was free and was moving faster then the truck that built the building. Then the factories would all zoom around the map and sit right next to the target you want to attack. It would be funny to look but an entire other game.

Finaly, the only thing that could still be moved is weapons (bunkers, hardpoints, towers...). But we'd need to find a balance point where it would cost less then simply building another defense at the right spot. But first, this would mean that the defense structures would become more useful that they are now. We would have to reduce their hit points or increase the cost to maintain the balance. That would imply that EVERYONE will be always forced to move defence buildings in every game in order to get the maximum out of their buildings. Unless we create a class of defense that can't be moved and a class of building that can move. This way peoples that would not want to go into this gameplay wouldn't be forced into it by your ideas. At the end of the day, we have panthers on tracks. Which are already in the game. You want a balanced building with just a slight mobility ? Build an heavy cannon on panther tracks and you are good to go.
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WZ2100 »

Iluvalar wrote:But first, this would mean that the defense structures would become more useful that they are now. Create a class of defense that can't be moved and a class of building that can move. This way peoples that would not want to go into this gameplay wouldn't be forced into it by your ideas.
Fortresses, hardpoints, nuclear reactors, satellite uplink centers, laser satellite command posts, repair facilities, and many base buildings are definitely unmovable because of the size of those structures.
lluvalar wrote:We would have to reduce their hit points or increase the cost to maintain the balance.
Raising the power usage to construct the buildings or decreasing the hitpoints seems to make the situation worse. You should keep the structures the same.

Movable buildings aren't overpowered because there are units that can easily destroy a forklift. Once the forklift is no more, the structure drops to the ground and cannot move until another forklift lifts it.

Perhaps a forklift turret should exist.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

What about a flying Forklift.
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WZ2100 »

Berg wrote:What about a flying Forklift.
Flying forklifts would be faster and are able to travel past hills and mountains. Also, forklifts that have the ability to fly can't be burned by flamers that are a ground unit.
Last edited by WZ2100 on 06 Oct 2014, 04:39, edited 3 times in total.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Also, forklifts that have the ability to fly can't be burned by certain flamers.
But they would be totally vulnerable to VTOL flamers.
WZ2100
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WZ2100 »

stiv wrote:But they would be totally vulnerable to VTOL flamers.
I meant the specific flamers that move with a ground propulsion.
Benramz
New user

Post by Benramz »

Many times I haven't paid close attention to where I was placing one of my factories and I put one right up against a cliff and the units being produced were unable to get into play.
A forklift would be great.
Or just an ability to rotate the building before construction.