The issue with arty and friendly fire.

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Rommel
Trained
Trained

The issue with arty and friendly fire.

Post by Rommel »

I have played a few games where I have won by parking units near enemy structures / derricks to destroy them with friendly fire - the enemy destroys his own structures with his own artillery... this to me seems a bit "cheaty" and also unrealistic as no one in their right mind would fire 10 howtizer rounds into the middle of their own base to kill a couple of infantry men.

It is also equally disturbing to have units running around your base unaccosted as would be the case if artillery would not fire at targets x squares from a friendly structure. The thing is you need to have the targeting AI know when to fire and when not to, something I don't think is possible... so if it needs human intervention there would need to be a switch to "disable artillery targeting within splash damage proximity of units and structures".

I wouldn't say that this is a critical priority, just maybe something to think about in the future. I think that you would find more time spent playing with the switch on as opposed to off as only emergency situations warrant risking friendly fire. Being able to engage the enemy with units knowing that they won't get friendly fired upon with arty sounds pretty good to me also.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
richard14110
Trained
Trained

Re: The issue with arty and friendly fire.

Post by richard14110 »

In other words, create a new command:

Disable indirect firing near friendly units.
Last edited by richard14110 on 18 Jan 2014, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
anonim17465
Trained
Trained

Post by anonim17465 »

I would suggest to change how does the close-medium-long range button works in unit setup.
close range works fine now
medium range should force unit's to fire at optimal distance and keep it (may be important for weapons that is bad at improper distance)
and long range should force units to retreat if enemy are non-max distance. That will help with friendly fire from artilery too.

But personally, I would fire at acyborgs next to my buildings just to stop them. Don't see any problems with that. normally buildings should be protected with walls to prevent described situation. in playerVSplayer you will not able to do such trick.
nikos_k
Greenhorn

Post by nikos_k »

The funniest part is when artillery placements are destroying themselves, by firing upwards, and then the bombs or missiles come downwards hitting their own "heads".

Maybe artillery, like in real life, should have a minimal range of fire.
Something like "two trucks away".

You could have different minimal ranges for the different types of artillery, but that might be too complicated.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Maybe artillery, like in real life, should have a minimal range of fire.
It does, stats do provide that sort of parameter.
MrUnknown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrUnknown »

yes but it is annoying and a pain in the butt to see your own units example destroy your own HQ. so i agree with Rommel,and i had some games that have proved that
w3 4r3 31337 h4x0rs