Warzone 2100 on Android

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Duppa101
New user

Warzone 2100 on Android

Post by Duppa101 »

You should make it so warzone is on android, and you can do both singleplay campaign and skrimish and multiplayer
It would be nice to play warzone matchs on both your android tablet and smartphone

it would be really hard to do such a thing, maybe running it off of the warzone engine and a bit of java for the loading part would work.

Another option would be a server like structure where the android device would connect to the server to temporarily download all the PC game files(the actual PC game) and just resize it to fit the screen of the device and to also change the clicking to touch.

...just a though
Last edited by Duppa101 on 19 Aug 2013, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Warzone 2100 on Android

Post by NoQ »

What we really should do is reincarnate the "frequently posted ideas" topic.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

From what I have seen it would be a huge undertaking to achieve this. Maybe for a start it would be cool to have a card type game, you know like "magic the gathering". this could incorporate all the goodness of the tech tree unit design without having to muck around so much with the game mechanics (animation / graphics). Just a thought.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

You can find the specifics of what this would involve in a discussion we had in 2010 here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6553&hilit=warzone+on+android

The biggest hitch then was manpower. And so it still stands..... or stands still.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Rman Virgil wrote:.

You can find the specifics of what this would involve in a discussion we had in 2010 here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6553&hilit=warzone+on+android

The biggest hitch then was manpower. And so it still stands..... or stands still.
Manpower + lack of devices for any testing on. (And yeah, those devices would need to be pretty high end, in terms of openGL support + enough CPU to run the game).
Anyone want to donate such a device ? ;)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

vexed wrote: Manpower + lack of devices for any testing on. (And yeah, those devices would need to be pretty high end, in terms of openGL support + enough CPU to run the game).
Anyone want to donate such a device ? ;)
according to google and

Code: Select all

http://www.androidbenchmark.net/
there were plenty of android phones which have good cpu, but they were lacking 2D power, maybe you would need at least tegra 3 or 4, since we need power to run 9 ai as well.

and i was wondering why would anyone play RTS on a small screen?, you would play and act slower.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Retail WZ ran 8 player slots. If needed, a droid could be capped at 4.

Right now there are crap droid RTS that have over 500,000 DLs.

And it just occurred to me that Jorzi's Toon WZ art reboot would be a good fit for the platform.

Still, lack of manpower and dev test devices are obstacles.

There are dev outfits that have emerged in the past couple years specializing in porting older PC games to the droid platform but they are in it to make a buck.

And.... qt ui widgets would factor in as well, perhaps.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
elect
New user

Post by elect »

Hi guys,

Warzone has always been one of my favourite games..

It would be really nice to port it on android.. I have experience with opengl and linux, I could give it a try..

Smartphones are getting faster and faster, I think it might be possible, we would only need maybe to schrink it a little, but I really think it is feasible...
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

elect wrote:Hi guys,

Warzone has always been one of my favourite games..

It would be really nice to port it on android.. I have experience with opengl and linux, I could give it a try..

Smartphones are getting faster and faster, I think it might be possible, we would only need maybe to schrink it a little, but I really think it is feasible...
there is experimental SDL 2 branch on git, go play with it
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

BTW, on a somewhat related note..... WZ was ported to and runs on the 1ghz Pandora OSS / HW hand held console.

Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

elect wrote: It would be really nice to port it on android.. I have experience with opengl and linux, I could give it a try..
I am working on a port to OpenGL ES2 here: https://github.com/perim/warzone2100/commits/gfxqueue

Currently working on porting the GUI. If you want to help out, may I suggest starting with the shadow renderer, perhaps? It is really old school and slow, besides not being portable to ES2, so could use some modernization. Another thing that needs working on is the terrain renderer, but that is a far bigger task altogether.