No Bridge? Engineers Will Build One!

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

No Bridge? Engineers Will Build One!

Post by Merowingg »

Genlemen, so far, and as far as I know, yes still little ;)

We have to wait to have hovers, or vtols to move onto the other, shore, island and anything divided by water.

What if, a unit could build bridges from segments, like the military does on rivers.

Each tile could be filled with a sort of combat bridge. Each part would cost. Each tile part could be destroyed. If we were to make a bridge three tiles wide, it would nicely connect in the centre.

It would have smooth surface, so hovercrafts could fly over them with no problems. It would be possible to build on this bridge constructions too.
Last edited by Merowingg on 22 May 2013, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Re: No bridge? engineers will build one!

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

This isn't a new request. Do a search for "bridge" in the Ideas and Suggestions section, and you'll find a few older requests, such as these:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10574&hilit=Bridge
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5537&hilit=Bridge
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

The first one was about still piece, a component of a map while creating one.

The second yes, I missed.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

And don't forget that there is or was bridging code left in the source from the retail days. It was just never finished I believe.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

IIRC the main issue was recalculating the pathfinding routes?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

possibly, but that would not be an issue anymore. Pathfinding shouldn't really be an issue anymore, at least not if done properly.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:possibly, but that would not be an issue anymore. Pathfinding shouldn't really be an issue anymore, at least not if done properly.
what are you talking about? pathfinding is still a huge issue! :roll:
units get stuck lots of times and they also keep on moving in place forever for no reason
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Re: No Bridge? Engineers Will Build One!

then you haven't read the thread properly. As far as CPU usage goes, the pathfinding should not be a bottleneck. The game may have been released in 99 but that was 14 years ago. Computing power has increased dramatically since then. While yes, the current games pathfinding may be flawed but the retail version had far fewer flaws.

That is one major problem with evolving software. What once worked usually does not after so many code changes later.

In this thread pathfinding is being bounced around in computational power not how well it actually works in game. Read carefully next time :annoyed:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

14 years ago
Computing power has increased dramatically since then.
What once worked usually does not after so many code changes later.
AFAIK pathfinding was re-written from scratch for 3.x. And the reason was exactly to decrease computational power required for it (2.x was hanging for minutes sometimes to complete the pathfinding before units started moving).
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

Yes a brige would be A good idea, :idea:
Merowingg wrote:What if, a unit could build bridges from segments, like the military does on rivers.
Would I be able to build it over a ocean??
Edit: That is to say if it gets implemented.
Greetings,
AWarZoner
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Would it be able to build over land valleys? That's where I'd love to see bridges :)
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO