download addons in game

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Originway
Trained
Trained

download addons in game

Post by Originway »

it would be cool if we could download the maps on addons in the game instead of downloading them and installing them ourselves
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Re: download addons in game

Post by Urnight »

because going to a website and clicking "Addons" is so hard.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

It's hard for newbies that struggle to find right folder, and a PITA to check to see if maps have been updated.

Remember that more and more people these days are used to things like app stores on their phone and even PCs.

Now that there is a database-backed addons system on the website, it's hopefully possible in the future that we could get an addons download/install from within the game. But I imagine it will need a lot of work on the GUI system in the game, as it's a bit grim to work with currently.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Urnight »

Dude, it would take a TON of work to be able to download addons in game and for what? So the game can be a little more noob friendly?

That effort is seriously best directed somewhere else. Like the release of 3.2.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

snap0.png
I have been working on this for a time.
There is many ways to go with what you want I have been playing with a mod loader there is no reason it cant be a map loader its the same thing basicly but as has been said you have to make it newbie friendly and the amount of work needed to make it idiot proof is well as you can imagine a lot.
If others with python skills wish to help see me on irc.
Dont bother me with requests only solutions
https://sourceforge.net/p/wzgraphicmods ... dloader.py
I know its not in the game but as many have said you are lazy so have a external program that is Prolly less work then adding it too game.

PS: its only half done so dont Bug me with Bug reports either
PPS: Over 100 hours spent researching and coding..Yes I am new at this sorts
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Urnight wrote:Dude, it would take a TON of work to be able to download addons in game and for what? So the game can be a little more noob friendly?
Would it really? It is just about displaying a remote list, having it download a selected file and then place it in the appropriate folder. I agree there are probably more pressing matters, but this should be added to a todo list somewhere for future reference.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Urnight »

Rommel wrote:
Urnight wrote:Dude, it would take a TON of work to be able to download addons in game and for what? So the game can be a little more noob friendly? That effort is seriously best directed somewhere else.
Would it really? It is just about displaying a remote list, having it download a selected file and then place it in the appropriate folder. I agree there are probably more pressing matters, but this should be added to a todo list somewhere for future reference.
Berg wrote:
snap0.png
PS: its only half done so dont Bug me with Bug reports either
PPS: Over 100 hours spent researching and coding..Yes I am new at this sorts
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Urnight wrote:Dude, it would take a TON of work to be able to download addons in game and for what? So the game can be a little more noob friendly?

That effort is seriously best directed somewhere else. Like the release of 3.2.
:lol2: The hardest part would be the gui controls, overall not a ton of work.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Many other open-source games have it done and it's quite useful, we're just stuck with the gui code.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

As far as the main screen GUI code I think it may be time to switch to another setup or sample some of the code. One that made the Game Programming Gems was the weaselgui. Have not really checked it out much myself but it could be worth a look to see how additional gui elements are done.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Lord Apocalypse, you mean for in game widgets?
First it is required to abstract current code (AFAIR Cyp/ made it's API a lot saner in some branch), and then we can try to replace it. :-)

Do I need to say again that since we already require Qt then we should evaluate it for this use case (using 5.x, QML) instead of adding new dependency without testing already available options. ;-)

Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Originway wrote:it would be cool if we could download the maps on addons in the game instead of downloading them and installing them ourselves
You should never assume that every mod available for any particular game would be available on official mod sites for that game, so what you're proposing wouldn't be able to cover every mod out there for Warzone 2100. :lecture:
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Shadow Wolf TJC, that is not an issue at all. ;-)
Just like lobby doesn't cover every WZ game. :-P

Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

Emdek wrote:Lord Apocalypse, you mean for in game widgets?
First it is required to abstract current code (AFAIR Cyp/ made it's API a lot saner in some branch), and then we can try to replace it. :-)

Do I need to say again that since we already require Qt then we should evaluate it for this use case (using 5.x, QML) instead of adding new dependency without testing already available options. ;-)

what do you mean? how would that QML be put in? it is not a drop in replacement is it?