Set Repair Facility as Factory deploy point

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Set Repair Facility as Factory deploy point

Post by Rommel »

I think it would be great if you could set your factories to deploy units to a repair facility's (RF) deployment point for the following reasons:

1. The RF is normally up near the action and if over run it is normally destroyed so your factory deployment would be reset to the factories own deploy point (this can be a fall back position - instead of (like dumbass me) forgetting about the factory deploy point and then having your troops deploying to an overrun area and getting punished.

2. The RF deploy point and factory deploy point will be the central place for troops to mass as opposed to having to manage two different deploy points...

3. No need to press that pokey little icon to set factory deploy...

There are probably more reasons, or reasons not to do this, but it just seems right to me... seems less micromanagement as well
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Set Repair Facility as Factory deploy point

Post by aubergine »

This is a strangely appealing idea! I assume it would work something like commanders, but set on the factory side telling the factory which repair facility to send to and units would go to the rally point of that facility. But how to choose the facility? They aren't numbered like commanders or factories, etc., and many mods allow more than 5 repair facilities (eg. Contingency). Maybe a thing where you'd click a "select" button and then click the repair facility? Also, I think we'd need better visualisation of the link between a repair facility and it's rally point - I often move repair facility rally points and then forget which rally point relates to which repair facility... :s
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

aubergine wrote:This is a strangely appealing idea! I assume it would work something like commanders, but set on the factory side telling the factory which repair facility to send to and units would go to the rally point of that facility. But how to choose the facility? They aren't numbered like commanders or factories, etc., and many mods allow more than 5 repair facilities (eg. Contingency). Maybe a thing where you'd click a "select" button and then click the repair facility? Also, I think we'd need better visualisation of the link between a repair facility and it's rally point - I often move repair facility rally points and then forget which rally point relates to which repair facility... :s
I was thinking more along the lines that you click on a repair facility and a little menu comes up to pick the factory (this would save numbering the RF), like with the commander. In regards to confusion about deploy point, if the RF are so close together that the deployment points are getting mixed up, it might not be an issue as they are all in the same area anyway, dunno

One thing I like about the idea is that you set your repair deploy at the front line then bind it to a factory and after that you have all your units massing in one place, your army building up as well as going for repairs. There is also the fact that I really hate setting factory deploy points, I hate that little icon you have to press because a lot of the time you are deploying far from your base - with the RF deploy point is is normally a matter of drag and drop.
Last edited by Rommel on 17 Mar 2013, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
Seems to me absurd
~
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Maybe if RF has a menu like commanders there could be a button on that panel which when clicked takes you to its rally point. Such a button would be useful on factories as well, just for consistency.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Oh another thing that could be in the RF menu, setting the retreat level so that new units deployed to the RF deployment point are already set to retreat for repairs. I really think this would help a lot with attacking multiple areas, really cut down on the micromanagement so you can focus on areas that need intervention and have your units kind of auto attacking other areas.

This can even be better than a commander as a deployment point because the actual controller of the deploy point (RF) is distanced from combat, unlike the commander that is usually picked out and destroyed. One thing to decide would be if you have units repaired at RF they were deployed to, or the closest one (is that how it is now?) I know sometimes it becomes a tangled mess when you have a ton of units to be repaired, I wish they would stand off a little and wait instead of all clumping together...
Seems to me absurd
~
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

You could always put the factory deploy point beside the repair facility one. ;)
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

The benefit of using repair point is that if repair gets destroyed units will no longer gather there (keep them out of harms way).
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

This... This is brilliant!

Now why didn't I think of that? :P
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual