Energy shields

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Re: Energy shields

Post by Emdek »

Rman Virgil, that "simpler" solution gives the same results. ;-)
We can give various additional abilities to any unit / structure and simply give (more or less complex) explanation why it works that way, the point is I don't see need to explicitly introduce new technology if it couldn't be applied to other things.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Emdek wrote:Rman Virgil, that "simpler" solution gives the same results. ;-)
We can give various additional abilities to any unit / structure and simply give (more or less complex) explanation why it works that way, the point is I don't see need to explicitly introduce new technology if it couldn't be applied to other things.
Sounds like you are splitting my proposition into 2 disparate parts, Emdek, and saying that one part is acheived by your simpler solution. The 2 components are of a piece, inseperable in my proposition, and, as such, your result is not equal to my proposition. And like I mentioned, I have played the exact core mechanic (& under the tech exclusive to one unit condition I descibed) for a decade. It works well, makes sense, is tons of fun and franchise sales are over 2 billion US. Will it work as well in WZ is an open question and no amount of discussion (or referrents to other successful game implementations) will settle it, I concede with good cheer.

That said, my proposition is no more than a hypothetical.

Only by comparing player's actual in-game experience between differing Mods (based on these disparate positions) could the matter be settled by an evidence—based protocol.

So, let's agree to disagree for now, Emdek. ;)

Intriguing hypotheticals, for me, are only square one towards me making a modification and testing it. For as much posting of propositions as I've done over the years its never been a substitute for making modifications, as best I could, to test in-game. That's how I roll. :3

Within a year, perhaps, the necessary dev components will be mature enough to make a Commander Mod I envision and have described in great detail elsewhere. After that we'll see what falls by the wayside forgotten and what soars to new heights. :3 Or as the old expression has it - "The proof is in the pudding." Always is. :D

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Rman Virgil, apparently I need some more context (how exactly it would work) to determine that. ;-)
But still I don't like too much unique features for one unit class (for sure not in core), even if I'm using them. :-D

milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I'll just say here that shields were my favorite part of WZGM.

Would be cool as an option.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

I think when all the units with shields press together, they should make a single, stronger shield that protects all of them. However, I think this shield should be weaker proportionally to the single shields of all units.

I am suggesting this because, if all units had these shields, then it would be very tough to kill any units and games would last much longer. :stressed:

A graphic for the visualizers is added. :D
Attachments
Gungan_Shield.png
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

The Overlord, that idea from Star Wars would be maybe better as additional kind of turret, which would protect nearby units and structures against specified kind of weapons.
I'm against shields being just additional generic defense layer, just make them effective against specified types of weapons, neutral (doesn't protect against them but also isn't harmed by them) to another kind and especially weak against other. Also they could be much more effective against long range attacks and much weaker against short range ones.

Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

The Overlord wrote: I am suggesting this because, if all units had these shields, then it would be very tough to kill any units and games would last much longer. :stressed:
itr's obvious to me that the time to kill a unit is a game design goal. If we add a shield and/or biological health on units we must reduce the armor points accordingly.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Maybe if the shield was a later game tech that could be applied to small bodies, allowing small bodies to be used in late game.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

aubergine wrote:Maybe if the shield was a later game tech that could be applied to small bodies, allowing small bodies to be used in late game.
That would be cool, as I never use the small bodies in games, except viper that is. XD
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

If there were some new cheap weapons, the light bodies could be used. But since all weapons in the game tend to cost more and more power to produce, the light bodies fall obsolete.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Best approach, add support to engine for such effects (unless already doable?) and let mods explore possibilities. Then (optionally) reconsider which path would be best (maybe as poll) and add it in game.

milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Iluvalar wrote:If we add a shield and/or biological health on units we must reduce the armor points accordingly.
WZGM just took half of the unit's health and made that the shield health. Simple.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I'd prefer it if shields were implemented as a next-generation C-RAM: The purpose of a shield should be to absorb projectiles.
(note: we've not even got first-generation C-RAM implemented yet!)

Units should be able to pass through shields, although they might sustain some minor damage. Without being able to do this, shields would be OP.

The shield would be generated by a building, and that building could be upgraded with modules to make shield bigger and stronger.

But there's a big disadvantage: When the shield is on, it consumes power at a steady rate. The bigger/stronger it is, the more power it eats. When projectiles are hitting it, there are spikes in power consumption. Whenever the player runs out of power, the shield goes offline. There would likely need to be a slider on the shield building settings panel, so player could have some control over what power the shield is allowed to draw.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

aubergine, it's interesting concept with power consumption, but don't really fits into WZ where everything except creating units and structures is free. I agree that in that case they could require working power generators but other parts of the idea are a bit too complex for me (but would fit into mods where other things also draw power, but not necessary that one from burning oil). ;-)

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

All the other buildings aren't tasked with creating a massive energy field around a base, so they use nowhere near as much power. Based on our discussions elsewhere, the other buildings could get plenty of power from the atmosphere using Tesla energy receivers integrated with the building. The shield, on the other hand, well, it's pumping focussed electromagnetic energy in to the sky HAARP style - would seem to then ask it to absorb that power to power itself :P