Add BUMP MAPPING shader script and BUMP textures

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
UDK
Greenhorn

Add BUMP MAPPING shader script and BUMP textures

Post by UDK »

I think need to add BUMP MAPPING shader script, who can? And all developers can create BUMP textures, then add BUMP textures to new version WARZONE 2100.
Last edited by UDK on 10 Oct 2012, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Add BUMP MAPPING shader script and BUMP textures

Post by aubergine »

Have you tried this: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9921
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
UDK
Greenhorn

Post by UDK »

aubergine wrote:Have you tried this: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9921
No, I talk about originals models, with BUMP MAPPING shader on all 3d surface, rocks of the map, ground, add button off/on of BUMP MAPPING in the settings game for slower computers, make next new version Warzone 2100, are not mod.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

So do you want to create all the new textures for the bump maps UDK?

The following mapping would require new textures to be created for every model

bump map
normal map
diffuse
specular
ambient occlusion
prt (forget what it stands for...)

Once the texture work is done then new code will have to be written to support rendering said map as well as the shaders to support them. It is a lot more work than you think.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Bump maps do not automatically make stuff look good, especially if one only uses the grayscale version of the color texture, which most n00bs tend to do, in which case it generally looks pretty horrible.
Normal maps are simply superior and less demanding on the GPU. Currently only object space normal maps are supported, but we have a branch supporting tangent space as well.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

from my limited understanding of bump/normal etc. Bump maps are the first gen, normals, 2nd, then parallax, now tessellation. At least thats how I see it based off how all of it seems to work. As far as bump maps looking ugly... Thats not always the case but it also depends on the model and the artist.

And why object space first and then branch to tangent space, why not start in tangent and ignore object space...