propulsion modifyers

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
carbon dude oxide
Trained
Trained

propulsion modifyers

Post by carbon dude oxide »

hello would it be possible to allow us to modify the propulsiontype.txt so we can make new propulsion types with there own effects an sounds? for instance i would like to make a new propulsion type that follows the Air property and does the same as a VTOL only its effects and sounds are different also maby be able to modify how much ammo it can take? :D
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: propulsion modifyers

Post by aubergine »

I think you can already do this sort of thing, for example look at the Ultimate Scavenger Mod which adds things like helicopters with their own animations and sound effects.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

If I've understood correctly, the scav helicopters are still just vtols that look different. I could be wrong though, you might want to ask berg ;)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

Ultimate Scavenger Mod which adds things like helicopters with their own animations and sound effects.
You can't customize animations. Well, you can create PIE files with animated texture effects, but the actual implementation of when WZ renders what animation is hardwired and non-moddable. :(

Ultimate Scavenger Mod doesn't actually define any new propulsions, the "helicopter" is just a custom chassis and it uses standard VTOL propuslion.
Strata @dA, @FAC
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

It's hardcoded that VTOLs have an animation PIE which is played when they are moving. The mod is, as Stratadrake said, just a custom chasis using the default VTOL propulsion. The animated rotor blades is the custom animation PIE to go with the helicopter (VTOL) when it's moving. This animation PIE is the second to last value in body.txt.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
carbon dude oxide
Trained
Trained

ok so how would i assign the efects to only go on the helicoptors? (i already have the effect.pie files)

well more like so that it plays the normal effects on the vtol propulsion but plays the custom ones with the other type of propulsion :D

or if its possible to have two effects in one pie file and the pie file decides which one to display depending on the propulsion type
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

carbon dude oxide wrote:well more like so that it plays the normal effects on the vtol propulsion but plays the custom ones with the other type of propulsion :D
You can't, that's the point. It's a hardcoded feature for VTOL propulsion only.

As I said previously, you can choose what PIE animation is played by modifying the second to last value in body.txt. Each body can have a different VTOL animation.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

It's actually kinda limiting that the VTOL propulsion effect is specified on a per-chassis basis; it should be specified on a body-propulsion matchup basis (i.e. in BodyPropulsionIMD.txt). Current status effectively means you can only have one aerial propulsion type as they all share the same effect graphic.
Strata @dA, @FAC
carbon dude oxide
Trained
Trained

So all in all i either have to hard code or hope that the really nice developers do it ^.^
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

You can customize propulsion sounds completely (see PropulsionSounds.txt), you just can't make animations for them.

Also, if I recall correctly each propulsion type has a slightly different manner of movement - e.g. track and hover can spin in place where wheels (usually) can't.
Strata @dA, @FAC