Steam Greenlight

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Skami
Greenhorn

Steam Greenlight

Post by Skami »

This has probably been brought up several times in the passed but now that you can submit your own games to steam wouldn't it be a great idea to try to get Warzone on steam?

I think it would be a great way to get some publicity to a game that really deserves it.

Anyway the link to it is http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/ I'd really love to see Warzone be on steam even thought I'm not exactly sure how you guys would go about the updates if they have to be done through steam but I'm sure you guys will be able to decide that for yourself, I just thought I'd bring it to the attention :)

Keep up the good work.
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Steam Greenlight

Post by Staff »

Don't think this is possible, Steam don't have a cross-platform client yet, and I don't think they allow 100% free games to be on their system.
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
Skami
Greenhorn

Post by Skami »

I'm pretty sure that steam allows completely free games besides that steam works on Windows and Mac right now and I've heard that they've been working on a Linux version.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

From what I have read (unless it has been updated) you cannot post free games (as in cost) but there is nothing that I have seen that does not allow for open source listings.

At the time I had looked I was hoping to get a hold of the steam sdk to look it over for ideas but alas you had to have an approved game to get said SDK :(

Did do some digging though and no one really seems to have any idea on the subject. While the GPL does not forbid selling your game it does make doing so more difficult since the source code must be made available and if someone compiles or does buy your binary distro they can turn around and give it away for free.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

:lol2: see the Xonotic dudes.
Skami
Greenhorn

Post by Skami »

There is a growing number of free games on steam and if you look through the list on greenlight about 60% of the games on there are free to play. I have no idea how the distribution rights of GPL work but I'm sure there is a way to get this on steam.

And if there are any doubts you can just submit it on greenlight see what other people think and even if there are any issues with GPL (or any other), you can still always pull the plug from this idea.
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Staff wrote:Don't think this is possible, Steam don't have a cross-platform client yet, and I don't think they allow 100% free games to be on their system.
This was already done, at one time Warzone 2100 was hosted on Steam. I don't know who initiated that but I believe it was sometime after the game became open source, but there was no lobby server. It was a community room to arrange games by IP. I like Steam so I'm all for this providing there was a lobby server and it was the sole place where players gathered to play the game. As far as cross platform that only effects updates right? If so they can just download the game like we do now.

On the other hand there are already different sites and different irc channels to host this game from and that disperses players.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

We don't use windows machines to compile, so their SDK & libs would have to work with the cross-compiler.
That said, we don't really have the resources to handle this, at this time.

I also have my doubts about how the GPL & Steam would play with each other. Someone needs to read their agreement, and see what Steam expects/wants/needs.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

I read the standard agreement and there was no reference to not handling a GPLed game. The requirements are a bit tougher as you have to hedge your game on profitable sales rather. Needless to say for most open source or even hobbyist game developers Greenlight is a better option while Indie and triple A titles do better under the standard steam agreement.

Warzone 2100 which has a sales record (all sales since 1999) would be better off under a standard agreement provided most of the current bugs were squished and the graphics were polished up a bit. Things look way better than 99 but its still a little clunky. Plus you would need a windows maintainer... cross-compile is fine for sf.net releases or most other sites, but dealing with steam you would need at least one person to handle windows land. You could probably get away with a cross-compile but it would be easier with a dedicated win developer.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

it now costs 100 for listing it
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

Staff wrote:Don't think this is possible, Steam don't have a cross-platform client yet, and I don't think they allow 100% free games to be on their system.
Steam supports both Windows and Mac, and perhaps Linux as well. Not sure if they've gotten that far yet, though I've heard that's where they're going.

And there are tons of free-to-play games on Steam. Most of them still get revenue via microtransactions, though, so I dunno if that's why you say "100% free". If it is, then Moonbase Alpha is an example of a totally free game (if it can really be called a game...).
The Great New Denial
New user

Post by The Great New Denial »

What do I need in order to submit my game?
You'll need a valid and non-limited Steam account (yes, that means you'll need to own a game on Steam). Then, you'll need to fill out the submission form, including some information about you and your game. The submission will require:

A square branding image (similar to a box cover) to represent your game in lists and search
At least 1 video showing off your game or presenting your concept
At least 4 screenshots or images
A written description of the game along with tentative system requirements

--taken straight from the Greenlight website
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

from one of the forums in the net:
From the Greenlight submit page:

Steam Greenlight is only for games that you have created yourself or are legally authorized to represent.

If you are considering posting someone elses’ game as a joke, don’t. Go suggest it in the discussions or contact the original developer and suggest that they post their game on Steam Greenlight themselves.

Please read the FAQ before posting to Steam Greenlight.

From the Greenlight FAQ:

I know of a game that should be here. What do I do?
Go contact the game developer and suggest that they submit their game here for consideration.

So, to sum it up:
-If you do not want your game on Steam, don't submit it.
-If it's not a game you made, don't submit it.
-If you make a free game that you do want on Steam then by all means, submit it!

There's no requirement that a game must cost money to be put on Steam, see their Free section.

And no, you can't submit GPL games that someone else made unless you are a legal representative of the developer/license holder.
source: opengameart. org / forumtopic/ steam-greenlight

So the question is: are We a legal representative of the developer/license holder ?
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Just for the record: few days ago Steam has started beta test for its client.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

maybe you can ask the guys doing evolution RTS how they are doing it?