Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Post by bendib »

I don't know what will happen to the Warzone 2100 Project, but by no means do I intend to allow Legacy's great 1.0, or any other release, to be "half completed". I believe in "make it work or don't make it at all".
Also known as Subsentient.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Great news! I have completed controls for adding and removing slots on all maps, used for spectating purposes mostly.
The control only appears in games once they are hosted, and only to the host, and they are not available in challenges.

Attached is a screenshot of the final version of the controls.
Attachments
Screenshot of slot adding and removal widget and it's effect under the Warzone 2100 Legacy Project's "microwave" branch.
Screenshot of slot adding and removal widget and it's effect under the Warzone 2100 Legacy Project's "microwave" branch.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

iap wrote:.... And I really hope that anyone has any good news about the Glest game because I really loved it....
I played MG a little recently :) Got mostly frightened off by unbalances (newer factions seemed to be overpowered (and a bit tasteless) compared to the two classic races). But i didn't feel lack of GAE features to be of much annoyance, though they could be useful for sure.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I have added controls that only appear/have effect in multiplayer, that control whether or not spectating is allowed in a game. I had to gimp up some icons to get this to look nice. Here is a screenshot of the controls.
Attachments
New spectator controls are visible in this "microwave" version of Warzone 2100 Legacy.
New spectator controls are visible in this "microwave" version of Warzone 2100 Legacy.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Ah, the old "send visibility report" icon from old mp intel screen :)
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
bendib
Regular
Regular

Re: 3.1.0 has been released!

Post by bendib »

Originway wrote::wheee: finally ! :yahoo:
game runs silky smooth unlike other versions of warzone that are pushed by some people. :roll:
A. You have not tried Legacy lately.
B. Stop trying to make me angry with comments like these, it works.
C. QT 4.x has issues on some windows machines, causing your symptoms. QT 5.x was recently released. I will use it for next release.
D. You could not come up with a response to the truth, yet you continue to troll me, which makes you a troll.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

The Warzone 2100 Legacy Project is working hard to overhaul many parts of the internal game and we need testers for our git branch, known as "microwave". We are trying to fix as many bugs as possible before the release of 1.0 Alpha 3, which will feature a heavily altered codebase. Users able to compile, please compile Warzone 2100 Legacy microwave and join us in #wz2100legacy on freenode.net for playing games.

The URL is http://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100legacy for our github page, and add .git on that for git clone.
For additional information about Legacy, go to our homepage at http://warzonelegacy.org/ .
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

bendib wrote:
Originway wrote::wheee: finally ! :yahoo:
game runs silky smooth unlike other versions of warzone that are pushed by some people. :roll:
A. You have not tried Legacy lately.
B. Stop trying to make me angry with comments like these, it works.
C. QT 4.x has issues on some windows machines, causing your symptoms. QT 5.x was recently released. I will use it for next release.
D. You could not come up with a response to the truth, yet you continue to troll me, which makes you a troll.
As much as I am not interested I couldn't help being surprised that a fork of wz2100 can actually be advertised on this site. It shows great leniency from the maintainers as most other projects wouldn't do this, they would just tell you to go make your own site and get your users like that.

For what it's worth, I think it is a bad idea to allow forks to advertise in these forums because as it tends to fragment an already tiny community. It is already hard to get 10 people together for a MP game and since all users have to be running the same fork it fragments things even further. I am not sure if it is the legacy fork, but I went to try one the other day and it doesn't even support mac (this is a huge step backwards IMO) so there it makes it even worse :(

I would propose that this sites policy would prohibit the advertising of forks. If a dev wants to fork U, then they should set up there own site and do their own advertising without riding on the back of all the hard work done by the devs here. I work a lot with Open Source CMS and I can tell you now, if I forked one of them and advertised the fact in their forum I would straight away be told to fork off (excuse the pun).

Just my 2 cents.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Rommel, there is only one Warzone forums with a decent amount of users. If I didn't see a need for a change, I wouldn't have started Legacy. I might also note that Legacy is not the only fork on these forums. It's far, far, FAR worse to attempt to torpedo a project by taking away it's only chance for a user base than it is to give people a choice in versions to play. Most people will play 3.1.0, and that's absolutely fine. However, for people with concerns and ideas similar to myself (and there is a sizeable amount, though a surprisingly large percent are still ruminating on the death of 2.3.9 and are hostile to anything that even smells like 3.1), Legacy is there. Rommel, you are an ISA member, so I expect you to play fair in life as well as the game. It's unfair and unkind to try to take away a group's support that began in protest of changes made by the very version you seem to imply everyone should use.

Legacy has no build system for Mac because I don't have a mac nor the $2000 to get one. It's possible to build it to run under OS X's Darwin core and X11, but that's unacceptable to most people.

Rommel, if you wish to reply, take it to PM if you would. Let's not derail this thread.
Last edited by bendib on 16 Jan 2013, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

bendib wrote:Rommel, you are an ISA member, so I expect you to play fair in life as well as the game. It's unfair and unkind to try to take away a group's support that began in protest of changes made by the very version you seem to imply everyone should use.
This will be my final reply to this. I take some measure of offense in your stating that my conduct is unfair and unkind, I was simply stating an opinion and just because that opinion differs from your own (be it that my opinion is inline with virtually every other open source project out there) does not give you the right to patronize me in such fashion. I still stand by my statement that it is ethically wrong for you to advertise your fork in the wz2100.net forums for "Protest" or for any other reason. Once again this is only my opinion, for what it's worth which is not much because I am quite new here.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Staff »

Stop the name calling and thread derails, this is the last and final chance you have bendib, you will not get any more warnings.
Your next infraction will be a instant ban.

All post from the announcement thread that have nothing to do with the release announcement have been moved here.

Enough is enough. :annoyed:
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Delete them or split them to a new thread please. Such posts are not welcome in my thread. I had a large dose of this already and it's not wanted any longer. I want peace.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Recollections and ruminations

Post by bendib »

To all who read this thread and care:

The following is a history lesson from the viewpoint of yours truly. It's part venting, part sad story, part documentary, all true.

@Devs: Please, let history exist. This is my perspective and I am entitled to it. If you really feel compelled to ban me, fine, your "one strike" message made it clear you are waiting for me to accidentally necro-post so you can whack me. I will, however, hope that you will take the high road today and leave me be. I never did anything to you, it's what you did to me. You ignore my plea to end the trolling attacks on me and punish me when I respond to the same user who has trolled me for months, and that's just a drop in the bucket for a certain developer.

I have a vague recollection of stating that I was going to move through other channels to find Warzone 2100 Legacy a user base, but on later analysis, Legacy on it's own is a flop, since more Warzone users simply are not common, and when they do come, they will come for this site's version. My intentions are not to replace this site's version, rather to offer an alternative, but in order to do this effectively, I need to establish a user base, because what's the point of coding for yourself? I am one man in need of more developers and in need of users to play multiplayer against, or the game will die from lack of support and lack of "life".
If I thought that people would not be interested in Legacy, I would not make it at all.

Let me tell you a story...

A not so long time ago, 3.1 beta 11 was nearing the end of it's reign and RC1 (a dud that didn't support multiplayer) was being/had been released. I was already rather angry with the deprecation of super cannon cyborgs and some bugs that were deemed features or ignored, such as aborting and deleting obsolete templates, some bugs that were obvious but not ever fixed, like hardcrete structures (even hardpoints) that don't require hardcrete, and other such things, but then when RC1 was released and it was discovered that it didn't support multiplayer, I expressed extreme disgust that the version didn't have one multiplayer game test run on it prior to release.

It was my firm belief that the balance would continue to be altered and the underlying game would become a chernobyl. I was right about the balance, but the final release of 3.1 seems relatively stable, but that's not really the point. To top it off, I had been mistreated many times by developers which made me literally not want to use code produced or maintained by some of them, who will remain nameless as an act of pure grace.

This was due to my "project" to refine a man who was banned from this game in entirety whom I had befriended, I believe. Sentiments hating his guts remain to this day, but my "project" succeeded it seems, after a large series of pushing my philosophical views in IRC conversations, making such sentiments obsolete. It is my belief that the developers thought I was "in his pocket" and perhaps a "spy", which were all false. My ethical knowledge strictly prohibits such conduct. And besides, I side with whoever is right. When they become wrong, I side with whoever is right, if none, I do something myself.

Like myself, this man was irked by the treatment he had been given, though not to the extent I became later. It was water off a duck's back to him, but to me, it was personal. It was war. I wanted to challenge the offenders to Warzone games and kill them with bug wheels. I was deeply wounded that the developers of a game that hold some of my dearest memories could stoop to such behaviour, and became so disgusted that I eventually did not want to use the code they produced. Similar sentiments were shared by many others who wanted to fork the game, the problem was, they wanted to fork from the 2.3 branch, written in plain C and with a poor outlook for it's future.

I decided that if I was to fork the game, I had better do it with something I can work with. I chose 3.1 beta 11 as my codebase because it was, IMHO, the closest to "last known good". The first public releases were made via tarballs hosted on my slow old server, and I went public on an old url, http://universe2.us/wzlegacy, and the site was constructed in basic HTML, later converted to a Wordpress site, and I created a subdomain, wzlegacy.universe2.us. A user began attacking me, my character, and my fork in this thread, so far as to accuse me of sabotage, (one Legacy user turned out to be a jerk, who later revealed himself as the culprit behind hosting a large number of games bearing the Legacy URL in the wz2100.net lobby, so often I had to add a message to the Legacy site condemning his actions), and I blew my top at this user rather badly to the point I was temporarily banned from these forums. (I swell like a balloon and explode sometimes, I had a similar event over being mistreated by a developer, over a small joke post where I wrote "Derp" after quoting strict discussion rules and was banned for this.)

Many times, the attacks continued once we were both unbanned, and reporting posts did not help. Since these times, the developers' patience has grown thinner for me, and mine for them. I am at the point where on further inspection of the situation, I would sooner demand an apology from the developers involved than I would apologize to them. I have apologized many times for trivial offenses that are ignored for other users, and I was once banned for simply calling a developer out on his lie, and I think it's time that I received a sincere "Sorry".

I know that's probably not going to happen, and this post might be deleted, and I'd be unsurprised, but it's all true. If I was going to get banned, I figured I'd go out by explaining my side of the story rather than by a wimper of getting banned for accidental double posting.

I wish you all the best of wishes, because I probably won't be around long after this, of course, I'm hoping for a change of heart from those that would punish me for speaking the truth. For those that think I am weird, yes, yes I am. Am I bad? No. I work hard to make sure of that, but then again, that's up to you to decide.

I'd like to give a shout out to Rommel, to apologize for offending him, a shout out to Rman and zydonk and others for supporting me, and a shout out, very loudly, to Cyp. Cyp, I don't agree with every commit you make, some are just zany, (hi zany), but you have proven over and over again to be a respectable human being, better than most I know. I'd like to shout out to Merowingg for sharing my ideas of freedom of speech and a game behaving like a game, I'd also like to wish that Originway have a good life that enriches his character.

I wish this community the best.

My name is Subsentient. I'll let these forum users decide what to think of me. I've been here since 2010, and my maps that are hosted occasionally (my NTW maps are rather popular) may very well be the only echo of me left in this section of the Warzone community. :^)

-Subsentient

EDIT: So you know, Legacy will continue to exist for those who want it. If I make it through this, this is the end of my pushing Legacy on these forums. Some users don't find it to be acceptable behaviour.
Last edited by bendib on 16 Jan 2013, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

It may be presumptious of me to say but I can thoroughly empathize.

I have also withnessed the loss of far too many outstanding individuals, with so much to offer, over the last few years. Leaving for like reasons never to return. And I believe understand the nuanced whys of it.

I would only suggest, with nothing but respect, that you step away for a week or two, before you make a final decision.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I'm leaving the decision up to everyone else Rman. If they want me around, any banning of me will be fought by multiple users. If not, then I work on Legacy with my others. I'm tired Rman. Legacy will be around. It will remain. I can promise I will not kill it for the foreseeable future. I might not be in these forums, but http://forums.warzonelegacy.org is for the Warzone 2100 Legacy project.