Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Post by bendib »

I am on a temporary hiatus from developing Legacy as the github will show, but it will come to a close with the creation of a custom Linux distro built to fit my needs exactly. I have an XFCE desktop with audio and networking up, and I am performing final touchups. This environment possesses a vastly superior toolchain for developing Legacy and I will likely be migrating my machines to this system if it proves a viable option.
Also known as Subsentient.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I am installing final applications and editing bootscripts, font touchups, toolchain fixes, Thunar recompile, such small stuff, then it's time for Legacy work once more.
wei2912
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wei2912 »

aubergine wrote:I'm slowly chipping away at a set of unit tests for the JS API which might be of use for testing the Legacy JS API implementation, hopefully making an initial release in Q1 2013. I started it mainly as a way to keep track of what changes from one release of WZ to the next so I can update the JS API docs wiki, but once released it might be useful for finding differences between the official version and the Legacy fork? If interested, keep an eye on my github "EggPlant" project as that's where I'll be releasing it to.
That'll be quite helpful, thanks!
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Currently the JS API functions don't specify any formal parameters -- if you could find a way to make them do that, I think it would be useful from unit testing perspective as it would allow JS-based unit tests to compare actual and expected number of params on JS API functions.

I've been using something similar with unit tests done on my own scripts - so much so I added a new hasFunction assertion type - it's useful because if a parameter gets added, the tests start failing and you know that assertions will need adding/updating to deal with the change in parameters. Obviously it won't detect if an existing parameter changes meaning (although that should cause other tests to fail), but it's a good way of highlighting where tests are getting out-dated so still very useful.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I need a developer who speaks derp, in other words, someone who will help me sort out this nightmare in the netcode with leaving/joining. Development is temporarily halted until I can find such a person. Sorry.

@Devs: The drop function is called for... normal quits? And I can't for the life of me force the game to acknowledge when another player has left with my own netcode, which uses a nearly identical method as spectator mode. This is sphagetti code turned into a rotten plate under the couch.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

...This is sphagetti code turned into a rotten plate under the couch.
Good one. :lol2:

On a different track....

Have you considered Legacy running on the Raspberry Pi ?

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Rman Virgil wrote: Have you considered Legacy running on the Raspberry Pi ?
I have yet to find a pastry with a CPU greater than 16-bit no-fpu
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

O_o

:laughingneq:

I shall infer :stop:

The present groundfloor potential will be more apparent by the end of 2013, me thinks. :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Development has been resumed. I am going to push through this networking bug if it takes a thermonuclear warhead. I am too close to the idea Warzone 2100 to let it die now. I will not. Those who wish to help, PM me.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Development has been resumed. I am going to push through this networking bug if it takes a thermonuclear warhead. I am too close to the idea Warzone 2100 to let it die now. I will not. Those who wish to help, PM me.

Warzone 2100 Legacy cannot die. I have almost created the game as it was born to be and I cannot and will never let that end.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

errr double post?

On a side note.. have you thought about dropping the current netcode for something like raknet?
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Double post? Eep. Well, Warzone 2100 Legacy already has incompatible netcode I am afraid, and it'll only get stranger. I am transitioning from the host needing to send important messages to verification of message source instead, as one example. The current quitting code will be severely gutted. It's a hideous poop smear spread across far too many files.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

After a month of work and another month of putting it off, 1.0 Alpha 2 is completed. This release features a few exciting changes.

To quoteth ye olde changelog:
1.0 Alpha 2 Changelog wrote: Changes for 1.0 alpha 2:
Enhanced lobby screen now shows the Host nickname in the main box and shows IPs in the tooltip,
spectator mode is enhanced, debug mode impossible once someone becomes a spectator, and all holograms for all
players become visible as yellow when you enter spectator mode. Netcode improvements, although minor, are present.
Nullbot is now going to be locally modified for Warzone 2100 Legacy from now on and scripts have been adapted fittingly,
fix some Superborgs not requiring cyborg dense composite alloys, re-added fog of war options, fix broken shader support,
updated to newer version of TUBridge map by wei2912, passwords can be changed after a game is already hosted in the lobby,
and add a more sophisticated scavenger AI called SSAS, Subsentient Scavenger AI System, based on the original script.
I probably missed something, but oh well.
Get it while it's hot at the downloads page here.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

The stuff you're doing with spectator mode sounds really awesome! I was wondering would it be worth actually allowing maps to define which are their spectator slots, rather than requiring players to manually enter spectator mode? Perhaps in the <mapname>.ini file there could be a 'spectators' property in the [map] section that specifies a comma separated list of positions designed for spectator use. The game set-up UI could then depict spectator slots differently (eg. with an eye icon to the right of the player name box). Spectator slots would then be limited to human players on game set-up screens.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

The next release plans two things, neither are set in stone: All ten slots are available but closed to support maxPlayers, and opened as more spectators want in, and when you start with nothing at all, you don't lose.