Ban Smilies Ban Signatures

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Ban Smilies Ban Signatures

Post by Berg »

It seems the amount of smilies and the length of signatures used in forum posts far outstrips the amount of actual words used in said posts.
If there was a limit on the amount of smilies per post and sign length reading the forum would take less time.
Giani
Regular
Regular

Re: Ban Smilies Ban Signatures

Post by Giani »

Not having smilies would make reading faster? O_o
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I like smilies, if used sparingly. They certainly shouldn't appear in sigs.

As for sig messages, there is already a tight limit on those. I recently found that "forum" tag can be used to link to topic so plan on shrinking amount of text in my sig.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I don't think we are suffering from this disease yet, and in fact i'm fairly surprised to see this. On many gaming or movie discussion forums almost every post has four or five bright flashing userbars below it. We also aren't suffering from spoiler tag disease, when half of every message is hidden waiting to be clicked (but that's only because our spoiler tag is not beautiful enough).
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Giani wrote:Not having smilies would make reading faster? O_o
N :lecture: ot h :lecture: av :lecture: in :lecture: g sm :lecture: il :lecture: ie :lecture: s ca :lecture: n ma :lecture: ke r :lecture: ea :lecture: di :lecture: ng f :lecture: as :lecture: te :lecture: r, y :lecture: es :lecture: .
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Perfect example
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Still, I don't think banning smilies would be worth it, not only because I believe that the difference in length would be negliginle for the vast majority of sentences, but more importantly, they're useful for expressing mood, like how I feel about this thread for example: :roll:
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Point us in the direction of some of the actually abundant forum examples of this smiley pandemic that would vouchsafe the rationale for this being a rageing menace to uncluttered and pleasant reading and not just a tempest in a teapot.

=======>

We are Borg. Prepare for assimilation. Resistance is futile...

Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

The pestilence of rampaging smilies is abundantly clear to those that observe. Prof you say scroll up!
When you see a post in a perfectly good topic of just smilies don't you wonder at the meaning they try to impart hours are spent by the web persons trying to ascertain the exact meaning the poster is trying to pass to them.
And yet you wonder why so many feel they are misunderstood when they cant even write a post without a picture of some yellow faced demon infecting their words if any.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Yh... Gentlemen I just love smileys.. and with hard work of many here I reduced the amount quite.

I think not allowing the users to use smileys will make from this text sad newspaper like black lines of technical stuff.

I think it is terrible idea. Isn't the off smiley option not good enough? I ask as I do not know if it works and how it works.

I want to add that I also like my quotations, so taking them, is also some sort of newspaperising us.. And some of the lines there are really inspitring. NoQ has this Game nor organised on IRC can be bad for health, or something like that, Cybersphings has We want information, information, information or something like that. I think Aubergine has links to mods he works on, or there is someone else who does so.

I am entirely for leaving both smiley and signatures as they are now. You have even reduced its amount to 25, because of me I think ;) so I do not see the problem.. am I missing something??..
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I was almost entirely tempted to paste this in to this post: http://ezsmiley.com/gallery/oversize/hu ... smiley.gif
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I do pay attention that's why I asked. Only one I know who likes to use 'em in abundance is Mero and he's spoken for himself. The up example was a contrivance I've not seen heretofore. :3 Personally I find the antics of the crass-one more virulent than any heaping dose of emoticons... but that's just me.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

aubergine :) I have to admit when I opened the post I started to laugh loudly :) I have also imagined this cosmic sound Wzzzwzzzwzzzwzzz hipnotising ;)

I think I will start my every new topic in showcase with this picture. <vinking ghost of a smiley

And yes as Rman said and what is clearly visible I like the smileys very much. <nodding ghost of asmiley

I was even in some situation sort of begged to reduce them and I did. I barely managed to overcome the overwhelming temptation of placing those cuties at the end of each line. <lecturing ghost of a smiley

Rman I do not understand your last sentence even when working with a dictionary <terribly embarasses ghost of smiley

We are talking about this crass guy and some overuse of smileys by him?

And I really advice to reconsider gentlemen this smiley debate, not finishing it with something stupid. I think many times those terrible yellow dots on the right may cause vomiting reaction to some, but the others express themselves with them freely and happily. Even very important, or shall I say, well know personas here use some at a climax of some of their thoughts, and does so with great tact.

I cannot simply imagine forum in black white only. A rebellion of anti smiley which was invented by NoQ by the way, already comes to my mind.

We were even voted, and given extra ones, which i like very much, Managed to use like 60% of them already.

I have accounts at many places, one of them is Jazz Bulletin Board. There they have the smileys too, less yellow that we have, but very nice too, I have noticed people use them at some places too. It is a place I wouldn't consider them to be. Rather on POP forum or something.

I am also sure that there is a way to limit flasy colourful things to be stopped and reduced in a simply way from the signature section. But I think killing it out entirely is not a good idea. I have seen some of clan members with our logo there. Or even addresses to their websites about our forum, even if only mentioned.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Berg wrote:It seems the amount of smilies and the length of signatures used in forum posts far outstrips the amount of actual words used in said posts.
Go to User Control Panel, Board Preferences, Edit Display Options, set Display Smilies As Images and Display Signatures to No. Problem solved.
We want information... information... information.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

I knew there was something like that! but I simply couldn't believe Berg wouldn't know about that..

Lock the topic lock the topic!

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: - Locking permanently and finishing team of Meroninjas avaits for orders in the shadows of the typing window..

Regards - Mero