How to be creative

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
duda
Trained
Trained

Re: How to be creative

Post by duda »

best tip i have now
look into the clouds for inspiration of new shaps and ideas for maps .... :shock:

all people say - he do nothing when he enjoy the sun and starring in the sky
but the artist is still at work :lecture:
"unit is under attack!", "unit is under attack!", unit is under attack!" then i wake up ... (true story)
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Gentlemen :)

Lord Apocalypse hello Sir :) I like your idea of fantasy books inspiring "mapmakers", it shows clearly what depending on a person, can inspire people :)

Berg I hope you are aware of the fact that Cyp teleported us here, and even gave us this topic :) I do not want you to think I created a "guide" of how to be creative, as my goin aim here, there?, was to express that it is impossible to make something like that :) Rman proved me a little bit wrong but I am not good on the topic yet :)

Anyway I believe who we are and what we think is causality of our lives :) starting from genes ;)

Duda I will not look at the sky ;) I will smash some tomatoes on the wall and take inspiration from it ;) but you have just reminded me that when I was about 13 I was drawing the shapes the clouds represented for me :) It makes me to think ok you have some skill ;)

Wait! gentlemen I have better point of inspiration, women :) how I typed on my short thread, or was it on IRC that one of the ideas of my maps came from a girl in a bus? I even remember when she entered the bus :) but I do not remember which map was it :hmm: If i was to make rude joke ;) I just recall a name of one of mine that suits perfectly, but it wasn't that one ;)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Sorry, been busy with work stuff hence not replying sooner.

LA is right that I didn't choose my words right, what I was meaning (although trying to convey in too rushed a fashion and thus messing up what i was trying to say) was...

a) Where does the inspiration for the maps come from / what makes you decide to make a map?

b) What is the process you go through to get what's in your mind in to FlaME?

This is why I was so keen to learn more about the pencil drawings, etc. For me that was a real insight in to the thinking behind a map. I always imagined that people would just open up FlaME or GIMP and start pushing pixels first. Yet seeing that drawing somehow made the whole map make more sense, it was like the blueprint, and it also reminded me a lot of Pumpkin's sketches: https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/disp ... t+Sketches
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

LA is right that I didn't choose my words right, what I was meaning (although trying to convey in too rushed a fashion and thus messing up what i was trying to say) was...

a) Where does the inspiration for the maps come from / what makes you decide to make a map?

b) What is the process you go through to get what's in your mind in to FlaME?
Ha! now I can hug you as it is the appropriate approach, or shall I say formula ;) phrase :) paraphrase ;) now :)

I am just about to both faint and fall asleep as I am to have the hardest weekend on my studies since a year.. anyway while falling down I will type few words :) am I awake yet? :hmm: anyway..

I take inspiration from anything, usually the idea comes to my mind out of nothig, I remember one night when I was just about to fell asleep when an idea of a map come to my mind, and then another! ans something third was there.. I thought, those are cool! I willl have to draw them, but ok tomorrow! it was the worst thing I could do, as the next day I hardly managed to recall them,, it toke me entire day to be honest to recall the second one.. since that day I began to draw, at leas as I shown earlier here, a general idea of the map. As you can see on my thread I have no problem wth creating things, some are very similar I know, but those are my stick to one pattern ideas, the others are not.

I remember I was building from Lego Brick for hundreds of hours and I was really good at it. My parents even took photos. The story is, then at Poland those were very expensive and I had to save money, the pocket money, for months to buy something which was not big.. so I think it developed my "seeing stuff" ability to rotate, perform, imagine what can I do with those tiles which are in fact like Lego Bricks to me :) I also wanted to go beyond canon here and I think few times I managed :)

The best thing is for two years in one month, more and more ideas is coming to my mind :) I do not draw as nice as TMP, I draw as I stated before, the rest is in my mind :) If i happen to wake up, I will for sure have something more :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

tmp500 wrote:ill continue this thread with the last scribble i did ;)
P1020465_01a_web.jpg
Now I know what to do when I 'm bored at school :lol2: :lol2:
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

Berg wrote:Making a guide to be creative is in my view narrow minded you cant say this is the guide lines because there is none.
My two cents worth
another person with a brain!
the rest of you O_o have brains too!
I'm jealous of people with brains.
Last edited by Cyp on 08 Jun 2012, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added part of the post that was missing.
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

I see you like insulting people...
Don't forget this is a forum... :annoyed:
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
tmp500
Trained
Trained

Post by tmp500 »

well maybe not a creativity guide but a general approach to map making...

some of the sketches... as requested...
P1020467_01.jpg
P1020469_01.jpg
P1020470_01.jpg
tmp500
Trained
Trained

Post by tmp500 »

P1020466_01.jpg
was a very rough sketch on paper... basically finished it in inkscape...
mapH000.jpg
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

crass wrote:
Berg wrote:Making a guide to be creative is in my view narrow minded you cant say this is the guide lines because there is none.
My two cents worth
the rest of you O_o
First off, @Berg - You can make a guide on how to think creatively but creativity is more naturally born I think. While the most gifted have it as a natural talent most people must learn it. To learn to be creative you must learn HOW people create such wonders. I think what best suits this line of thinking is how Obi Wan told Luke that Vader killed his father instead of that he became Vader. Either point of view is correct though on opposite ends of the spectrum. As long as people stop thinking along the lines of how to be creative and start looking at either how creativity flows from one individual or another or what inspires someones creativity it should be fine and dandy.

@crass - I'm pretty sure you are not among those with a brain else you would have something a little more critical or constructive to say :shakehead:
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

crass wrote:
My two cents worth
the rest of you O_o
medusa as you were promised to be called, beware. For few seconds I was trying to understand where this aggression of yours may be from and there may be plenty of reasons, sociological of course.

I have even looked at those few posts of yours, and about 70% are filled with insalting, or shoutung some words towards some people, but those bring eventually nothing, even some people begun to know you, so ignore you.

You must be an expert in all those fields since the last month, and a true mastermind I assume, we are happy to have such a person on the forum so please share your knowledge with us so we could be better. And please upload your works!

You were advised few times already to be kind, and yet you seem not to understand. Do believe me this forum is well observed, one step too far and it will be all gone.

Type whenever you want but creatively, inspirationally, encouragingly, bring some nice ideas, try to evolve the ideas of others.

Did you happen to know this threat evolved from the other one? Did you read with understanding that one person here wrote something that we get wrong because he used specific words and structure?

I know you didn't, so read so many times as you will get it, and if you did, then I have even stronger opinion about you already.

How do you get your inspiration on? I may be thinkinnk from insulting people.. but then you have to find the better place for it, and here bring us the great results!

I remind you that any insulting response to what I have typed will be unnecessary and probably taked care of. Let's us begin a lesson of being kind now.

I only express what I feel, in clear, partly sarcastic, and then showing the examples way.

It is you who will do something with the others have already about you.

Regards,

Mero

Regards - Mero
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

A rambling muse on the subject...

============>

An unflagging curiosity and child-like sense of wonder about - everything.

A burning desire to create in the vein of those who came before. To learn the secrets of their magic and greatness. To dare to be their equal, then dare to surpass them.

In daring, being prepared to fail 90% of the time. Embracing those failures as an essential part of the journey, as gifts given. Gleaning from every failure the gold ingot out of which you will forge the uniqueness of your creations to come.

Letting any thoughts of approval, fame and fortune be incidental to stepping into the great unknown and wrestling with all its terrifying uncertainties, and from that awesome vastness, to pluck the ingredients of what you would make unlike any other; what you would make solely in the image of what matters most in your heart, mind and soul..

To awake each day with your head on fire to explore anew the uncharted depths of the human spirit.

Practice, practice, practice, your craft(s) every day even when you are thoroughly uninspired - especially then..!

Let not fears disuade you from the grace and gifts of free flowing improvisation... allowing both laughter and tears to emerge unbidden.

Honor the unique vision of your peers, which is not the same as slavish adulation or imitation, and if something they have done resonates with your soul then make it entirely your own in the context of your unique take on it.

At least, this is what works for me and makes me glad to walk the earth, equally, through both the leanest times and most flush and everything in between.

Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Rman I am just about to leave to work, but I wanted to say thank you for your reminding me of "appropriate" behaviour.

Bye :)

Regards - Mero
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Merowingg wrote:Rman I am just about to leave to work, but I wanted to say thank you for your reminding me of "appropriate" behaviour.

Bye :)
But of course. :) I'm sure you'd do the same for me. :3 It is but one of the many good graces of fraternity and its naturally glowing reciprocity. :D

Now some nappy time before I too must head off to make some $$. ;)

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: tmp's maps

Post by Rman Virgil »

Setting poetic expression aside, lets get plainly pragmatic.
Merowingg wrote:Rman don't scare me ;)

And seriously, I didn'r know, sounds really interesting, I will dig out for more. But how many can afford and train such thing..? Who has time who has time :d_clock:
Many moons past I studied all of Edward de Bono's work.

I would recommend 2. "Six Thinking Hats" and "Lateral Thinking: Creativity Step by Step".

You can borrow them from your local library for free.

If you would own copies... electronic or physical.... less than $ 10.00 US for both (inc shipping costs if physical).

As for time investment...

I have found that no matter how super busy I am, somehow, someway, I make time for what I really wanna do. From an other angle - I could have time to spare but unless I'm really passionate about doing something, well, it ain't gonna happen no matter how much time I have available.

Expanding my creative powers has been important to me. I always make time for it. It's the basis of so much of value to me that the investment is no-brainer.

Over the years I've heard people say: "I don't have a creative bone in me. No talent, really. Can't even draw a stick figure or carry a tune..." And so on.

That is what is called - "A self-fullfilling prophecy."

More perogative than destiny, me thinks.