Surprise!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Surprise!

Post by Stratadrake »

Hey, apparently I did register my user handle on this site....

First, it's almost hard to belive I've had the same username for ten years. What can I say, maybe I picked a winning moniker back in 2001?

So what have I been up to lately . . . ? Well, considering it's been four years since my last visit ... I guess things haven't changed all that much :lol2:

I still draw, I still write, I still play videogames. Mostly console than PC. Which reminds me that I actually never beat Warzone 2100. Last memory I had of campaign mode was getting overrun by Nexus's combination of heavy tanks and Laser Satellite on the penultimate level. If I wasn't low on oil, if I wasn't splitting my research multiple ways, if this and if that ... but never really went back to make a better attempt.

On the drawing front my biggest project is to learn digital art and start making a webcomic. Already got four pages inked and scanned, just . . . nervous/afraid about how my first serious attempt at using a Wacom tablet might turn out. You all know what that kind of never-done-it-before anxiety is like, right?

On the writing front . . . Nanowrimo has taken over that area completely. Like a bag of potato chips - "nobody can have just one!" By now I've written five stories for Nanowrimo, each of them passing the winning 50k mark within 30 November days, and this last year's (which was also a sequel to my very first Nano) actually broke 60k!

Oh yes, I also frequent TV Tropes these days. Beware.
Strata @dA, @FAC
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: Surprise!

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Glad to have ya back! Always liked your stories and art as well as your ability to make a mighty fine program. :lol2:

Kick back, have a mocha, and make yourself comfortable.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Not surprising considering how well your stories did back in the NEWST days ;)
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

Stories? What are these rumored 'stories' you speak of? :rolleyes:

However, I do believe some of those stories were how I got to where I write today. A few crappy-in-retrospect-but-certainly-viable-at-the-time fanfics, one of which introduced an autonomous robot soldier character, the idea for which was spun off into a different setting, which crossed into a paralell fantasy-RPG-style universe and its own story, then I became interested in dragons, then....

Oops. Anyway, if anyone's interested in sampling the type of writing I can do today, see this section of my dA gallery, it has sequences from three of my Nano novels in it.
Strata @dA, @FAC
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

that is a cool avatar! I need a pure black one :)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Who would have thunk. From the Pumpkin Studios WZ Enhancement BBs to here. Goin on 14 years. Increadible. And a touch of Rip Van Winkle too. :hmm:

Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Good to see you back man, i still have great memories back when i used to make models with your good & old PIE Slicer modelling program, it's really bad that it doesn't run on Windows 7, wished there was a dedicated modelling program for this game just like yours which runned in other operational systems.
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

Oh yes. One of the other things I did recently was build a working TrueType font file based on my own penmanship. Almost a full charset of glyphs and working metrics. Plan on using it in the comic, and making further upgrades to it as I go.

One of the best things about the Nanowrimo forums is the "Nanoisms" thread - where people post all the bloopers that happen during the course of frenzied writing. The epic one for today:
Axael wrote:
Every now and then the old man would pause to s***t his kimono, apparently the mans wife had tied his wasteband too tight.
No, no no no no. No. Ye gods, no. He was SHIFTING his kimono I swear, because the WAISTBAND was too tight. And she's only calling it a wasteband/waistband because she doesn't know its actually an obi.
Strata @dA, @FAC
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I think webcomics are a powerful new art form with unlimited potential across all traditional genres.

One of our resident artists, Berg, started a comic strip form based on WZ Trucks that is fun and amusing:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5242

I know that nervous feeling of venturing forth into the public realm with creative work that would reach out to a new audience where you have no pre-existing rep. Most recently I had that nervous feeling when I found myself wanting to enter the world of political / cultural blogging werein an adjunct to the writing would include satirical comic stripping.

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

On subject of comics, I've been dabbling with an app called ComiqLife: http://plasq.com I never seem to be able to decide what background colour to use for comic strips though, it's my nemesis!
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

aubergine wrote:On subject of comics, I've been dabbling with an app called ComiqLife: http://plasq.com I never seem to be able to decide what background colour to use for comic strips though, it's my nemesis!
Oooo.... neat. :3 DLing trial now. Thanks for heads up. :)