Scavengers?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
KitsuneFoxy
New user

Scavengers?

Post by KitsuneFoxy »

Hi all. I recently found my disc copy of this old classic, then found out you guys are doing a fantastic job in keeping it going. :>

I was wondering though, Is it possible to play as the scavengers in skirmish? I've always wanted to play as them. They get similiar techs after all.

Many thanks.
Giani
Regular
Regular

Re: Scavengers?

Post by Giani »

KitsuneFoxy wrote:Hi all. I recently found my disc copy of this old classic, then found out you guys are doing a fantastic job in keeping it going. :>

I was wondering though, Is it possible to play as the scavengers in skirmish? I've always wanted to play as them. They get similiar techs after all.

Many thanks.
Not yet, but maybe soon...
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

It's not yet possible to play as scavengers, but in addition to the upgraded scavenger faction, there's now an AI that plays as scavengers so you can fill maps with scavenger opponents!

I'm guessing that the game is edging closer to allowing human to play as scavs, but it will probably be a while before we finally get to that goal.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

We had a few IRC chats with WZ Creators in 1999. One took place before Retail release when we were testing final beta and there were a couple Demos out for folks to get a taste. Anyway.... during this IRC chat we asked Nick and Alex about making Scavs payable and they said sure, it was on the to do list.... just wanted to get WZ Gold, out the door, and first unlock all the CAM techs for MP over the first few months. .. also the SKI AI needed a lot of work (truth be told the retail release AI was absolutely horrible.... didn't get it fit till v. 1.04 & then the total redesign of the UI / Mechanics Schema for v.1.05 which became cemented as canon)..... and other stuff..

Hey you can read the IRC log yourselves from Pre-Retail release..... it also clears up some miss-conceptions that have circulated here about how WZ MP and CAM were designed and developed....

HERE it is: http://www.strategyplanet.com/warzone2100/chat.shtml

KitsuneFoxy
New user

Post by KitsuneFoxy »

Thanks for the fantastic information guys. Happy to hear that they may be playable in future!
I'm currently just going through the campaign myself. Got a texture mod on the add ons part.

Lovely.
RBL-4NiK8r
Trained
Trained

Post by RBL-4NiK8r »

WOW that was an old Jem RJ I knew some of the people on there and I even had a TNT2 video card at the time.

I know NEXUS Total War is a fairly nice change to the game my son really enjoys that, sadly the AI cheats like hell on that, but that gives you all your Scav Tech at the start of T1 no base and you move up thru there. Its very fun to play multiplayer on that game, as far as I know that's still using 1.10 with maybe a few tweaks. Also the changes made to the look of weapons and buildings were sweet, but some of the body's sucked. The thing is you have all the Scav body's to make your own type of tanks, Fire Trucks, or School Bus.

Also I used to have a Scav MOD for 1.10 that Maynard and me made, it was made for a map of mine then I gutted it and just had Scav and Cyborgs something that could still be done today. Basically you could only build Scav units and Research was limited to just Borgs and a few defense items. It never went above Mortars & MLR's, for long-range indirect fire, but Scavengers could be upgraded to Pulse Laser. One of the biggest problems I had at the time was the Tech Tree some of the things you upgraded would crash the game, and I think a few other things caused crashes.

Anyways I did test that in an 8 player game on Ziggy with just Scavs and we found it was really hard to kill someone, so we had a FFA in the center crater, as I recall I had over 30,000 kills and it was funny as hell to play. The thing is as I tried to point out back then it would have made a nice little side game kind of like Warzone the Prequel.

4nE
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

@ 4nE: Yea that was a chat I forgot about. It was interesting for the Scav comment and also because Pumpkin made clear that MP dev was NOT an afterthought to the Campaign but rather deved from square one and concurrently. Some folks in the neighborhood thought otherwise.

I remember that mod you and Maynard did. I think it would be popular today. Folks have asked about such many times over the years. :cool:

Have you checked out the recently developed Ultimate Scavenger AI Mod (for 3.1)..?

It's quite excellent. There's even Scav Choppers! ! HERE's the thread & download: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9182

Also recently, Scavenger Wars - CAM 0 has begun dev: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9269

Very interesting. :)

Goth is also considering bundling it with CAM 4 which is deep in dev: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8497

Check 'em out if you get a chance. :3

Hey 4nE... you still playing WZ with your kid. .? Reason I ask is because we seriously need some MP feedback on a couple Commander Mods. Check it out here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9196&start=15

And the overall effort to make Commanders viable in MP here:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9119

Regards, RV :hmm:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

And to that end, Release-12 of Cam 4 will be available for 2.3.9 versions of Warzone later this evening. This will be the last one for the 2.3.9 branch.

As soon as it's ready, a USM-integrated version will be made available for the 3.1 branch. And boy, do I have a LOT cooking for that release. Since all features will be available on all maps regardless of the tileset, I plan to have a nice variety of scenery. Should work great for Machinima-related purposes.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Are there any examples of Machinima work regarding warzone?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
RBL-4NiK8r
Trained
Trained

Post by RBL-4NiK8r »

@RJ yes I am still playing WZ with my kid not some much he started baseball a few weeks ago and we have not had much time. I started the Campaign last week was seeing how many missions I could do with no unit losses, I was doing good till I went to Beta the second main map. Freaking Ripps kill my hover lancers way to fast and in groups. Another thing someone took the oil produced down low.

Oh wait this is about Scavs yea I will check out some of the other stuff, and the Commanders hmmm not to sure about them you do recall my thoughts on them ?

OK take your one test 20 Cyborgs and 20 Pythons and add them to Commander, and when Commander is taken out they become useless cannon fodder. That's the reason they sucked in multiplayer games unless you wanted to cheat in an Artty War, OK it was not cheating but if the other side had no clue about them it was like cheating.

4nE
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

you can try my CTT mod where you can design scavengers. It was a bit messy. But depending of the CC you were choosing you had the choice between the tall, the fat or the normal body.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

RBL-4NiK8r wrote:@RJ.......... and the Commanders hmmm not to sure about them you do recall my thoughts on them ?

OK take your one test 20 Cyborgs and 20 Pythons and add them to Commander, and when Commander is taken out they become useless cannon fodder. That's the reason they sucked in multiplayer games unless you wanted to cheat in an Artty War, OK it was not cheating but if the other side had no clue about them it was like cheating.

4nE
Yea. Know that one. So many issues, we're trying to tackle 'em one by one... working our way way from the simplest, most feasible to implement now, up the chain of greater complexity & difficulty to implement. That one you mention is higher up the chain of complexity to deal with. First, the Commander AI has to be exposed to modification....and second... we're in the midst of a migration from WZ Script to the new JS API. Then there are the UI widgets schema issues. Anyway... don't wanna highjack this Scavenger discussion.... so I saw your post in the Commander Mod thread, we can go forward there. Thanks 4nE. :)

==============>
aubergine wrote:Are there any examples of Machinima work regarding warzone?
Only one I know of was released pre '04 using v.1.10 retail. It was a movie that told a story proper. I'll see if I can track it down. One thing - there were no character animation inserts.

~ RV :hmm:
AycT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AycT »

Playing as a Scavengers?
Its REAL!
Just you should to make a map, where some units are Scavengers and claimed as yours, for examle:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8510#p88604
My own skirmish map with elements of campaign.
There you can control 1 man! +)
Canons or missles? This is the question.

Marshal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marshal »

Why you want play for scavengers?
You have a mini-civilization, good-armored techs.
Scavengers, I think have no it.