VTOL Fighter Prop Design Curiosities

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Olrox
Art contributor

VTOL Fighter Prop Design Curiosities

Post by Olrox »

inspired by Macuser's latest designs, I've come to design modular propulsion for fighter VTOLs (light body + fixed wing propulsion). I obviously know that there are only fixed-wing aircraft in warzone up to this date, but I like to think with an open mind, so that IF someday this changes, the designs are already fitted into the correct niche.

If that's too much, just look at it as light-body flying thing prop 8)

I'm posting this here just for those curious about how I design things. This one was consciously designed using the golden ratio along with other circumference relations I've estabilished after some extensive observation of proportionality. Basically, I've started with a circle and a line, then scaled and rotated copies of them at purposeful rates and at purposeful pivot points as to draw the similarity of the shape I had in mind, from the top angle as I always do beforehand. Such was the early result:
FighterVTOLPropsd1.jpg
Of course, that is coloured and styled to make the structures more evident, but I constantly drew the "final" shapes of the projection during the assembly of the structure.
So I came up with such shape:
FighterVTOLPropsd2.jpg
And then the rest was extrusions, projection combinations, smoothing and geometrical fluff. But, respecting the golden rule, the result was rather satisfying even though it didn't take THAT much time to make it (probably some 2 hours pausing to drink some coffee on the way):
FighterVTOLProps.jpg
Such is a raw, non-optimized, medium-polygoned version of my design. I guess that the main secret is to try to draw our ideas using proportionality rules on purpose, and then break it down into smaller detail using fast method not to loose the grip of the composition.

Hope some of you like it! :D

~Olrox
macuser
Regular
Regular

Re: VTOL Fighter Prop Design Curiosities

Post by macuser »

Thank you VERY much Olrox. Nice job on it!

BTW what software are you using?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Thanks =D
I've used AutoCAD, actually I always use it to draw the raw model, then I export to a more sophisticated software like 3dsmax to smooth it out and optimize the mesh.
It has some excellent tools for solids editing, and I've developed some nice techniques on it since I've worked with it for over 5 years now.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

You're using NURBS surfaces? I've been hoping that blender would get a proper implementation for quite some time already (there is a project for integrating a nurbs library, but it has been on ice for some time while the new blender is getting stabilized) I've seen that they are excellent for making curved mechanical shapes.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Jorzi wrote:You're using NURBS surfaces? I've been hoping that blender would get a proper implementation for quite some time already (there is a project for integrating a nurbs library, but it has been on ice for some time while the new blender is getting stabilized) I've seen that they are excellent for making curved mechanical shapes.
Nah, I sure would like to learn how to use NURBS because I've always been fond of technical design, and positively freak out with precision if I don't watch out (every centimeter counts even in a buidling). Since we're going towards specific content for a RTS, I usually stop being so technical at early stages, but never let go the strictly technical guidelines. Even if the goal was some close-zooming content like for a FPS or RPG, even then I'd probably stick to come up with technically perfect 2d projections and then model the mesh eyeballing the projections.

But yeah, probably NURBS would help with such since I could come up with a 3d splines using a pair of 2d spline projections :hmm:
AutoCAD Could certainly use some tools to model meshes specifically with groups of projections. Would make for the best damn CAD software IMO. :geek:

~Olrox
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

How about we just make them flying waffles?
Also known as Subsentient.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Could fit into the hello kitty mod, along with single team-color (pink) and laser sattelite replaced by huge flower water cannon :hmm:
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

rofl +1
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Every game needs a hello kitty mod :P
Edit: In tcmask.frag, just replace "teamcolour" with "vec4(1.0, 0.5, 0.5, 1.0)" in the blending equation.
Attachments
hellokittymod.jpg
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

:lol2: :oops: so cute :3 :stressed:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Unicorns and Rainbows or else I hold my breath! *holds breath*
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

On the other side of the rainbow, there's a pot full of <WZ Briefing lady voice> Oil Resource </WZ Briefing lady voice>
8)
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

No, I believe it's just 10 oil barrels.
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular