Commander

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Cooldude
Greenhorn

Commander

Post by Cooldude »

How much kills does i take for a commnder to be at the topmost level vetrancy(HERO i think). Say if a commnader is elite vetarancy does all the units controlled by the commander fight like an elite unit.
kage
Regular
Regular

Re: Commander

Post by kage »

comparatively not long -- it has the same kill requirements for each level as any other unit, and it's own kill count is increased any time a unit attached to it gets a kill. you can get a lot of heros really quickly if you recycle hero commanders and produce normal tanks, at which point you just quickly raise another commander -- it's much faster than raising normal units to veteran status, and once a commander makes hero, every kill an attached unit makes is partially wasted.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

Cooldude wrote: How much kills does i take for a commnder to be at the topmost level vetrancy(HERO i think).
If I see it right you need 1024 kills (a non-commander unit needs 512) to get to the highest level in multiplayer/skirmish and 2048 kills in single player campaign.

I wonder if anyone ever had a commander at the highest level in a multiplayer/skirmish game.
Cooldude wrote: Say if a commnader is elite vetarancy does all the units controlled by the commander fight like an elite unit.
Yes, they do.
?topic=1617.0
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Troman wrote: Say if a commnader is elite vetarancy does all the units controlled by the commander fight like an elite unit.

Yes, they do.
only the accuracy bonus part iirc  :(
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

Watermelon wrote: only the accuracy bonus part iirc  :(
Experience level also reduces taken damage, for units assigned to a commander and for units without a commander. Damage is reduced by 6% per experience level.

Experience level also affects number of droids a commander can control.

There are no other benefits btw.
?topic=1617.0
Cooldude
Greenhorn

Post by Cooldude »

i once had commander commanding around approx 21 units which is max for the commander + around another 6 aircrafts..Are aircrafts a special case for commanders.

I also keep having funny commanders who keep the repair vehicles behind him rather than telling them to repair other units in battle.Even if it means other units r being blown into bits.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Cooldude wrote: i once had commander commanding around approx 21 units which is max for the commander + around another 6 aircrafts..Are aircrafts a special case for commanders.

I also keep having funny commanders who keep the repair vehicles behind him rather than telling them to repair other units in battle.Even if it means other units r being blown into bits.
aircraft should repair and rearm as normal when attached to a commander, though assigning another target to the commander most definitely will cause all attached vtols to take off, even if they're not done rearming (at which point the immediately land), though i don't recall if commander movement orders cause vtols to take off (if they do take off when the commander gets a new movement order... well, they really shouldn't).

repair vehicles and all other ground vehicles (like trucks) are treated exactly like combat units whenever the commander orders an attack -- they will start to move to attack, but some kind of code check cancels their move-to-attack order since repair units can't attack or repair enemies. unfortunately, repair units and sensors are almost completely useless when attached to a commander (though sensors at least do give the extra spotting range), since, in the case of repair units, even if they are repairing something, as soon as the commander gives a new attack order, they stop repairing and drive around for a bit.

ideally, repair units (or anything with at least one repair turret in the case of multi-turret vehicles) under a commander should never be given attack orders by the commander, should always try to repair damaged units anywhere within the group (via a weighting system combining distance and damage), and should always behave as "follow target" when trying to repair a unit within the group. when all units within the group are repaired, it should behave as "guard area" towards other friendly units. further, it would be good to have "ctrl+right click" or some other combo, when applied to a unit, dispatch the nearest repair unit to repair it, giving higher priority to dispatching the group's own repair unit(s), if any.

one annoying "bug" that should definitely get fixed, is that vtol's always take off from their rearming pads any time any kind of attack order is given. in the case of movement orders, they should always take off, but they never should for any kind of attack order when they are out of ammo (they should just stay and keep rearming, instead of having to start over time and time again in any given battle), and for vtols attached to a sensor, they shouldn't take off unless they've fully reloaded. if this bug were fixed, i estimate vtols would take, on average, 1/3 as much time to fully reload during an ongoing battle.
Cooldude
Greenhorn

Post by Cooldude »

I seem to having another bug..Y is tat a commander allways leads an attack and allways end up killing himself.....Its soo sad.espicially during the Beta Campaign i have a commander at hero Level commanding 24 units but he always seems to kill himself by leading........I would seriously request u to reprogram the commader,s AI so tat it doesn,t die too often.

Is the AI hardcoded....ifnot i could try building an AI mod of my own.

OUT OF TOPIC - Another thing u could add is a technology bar in the skirmish section..
              eg-if the bar is full it will use the full tech tree if the bar is at 50% then it will use only 50%  of the techtree.
Another thing u could add is King of the hill,Defend for 50 minutes type of Games.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Cooldude wrote:
Is the AI hardcoded....
* Yup.. it is. :'(

* On bright side - enhancing Commander Turret A.I. is key to advanced maneuver (conducting multiple, coordinated, simultaneous, battle fronts) in wz.  ;D

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

Apparently not in the latest SVN version, since the new AIvolution AI can be turned on as a mod :P

The commander becomes annoying when the range of laser pointer is greatly out-ranged by the units he's supposed to be organising - not useful in artillery battles :P

The idea of the commander unit is excellent - it does need a little bit more refining to really be the handy non-micro-management tool it should be.
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

cruise wrote:
The idea of the commander unit is excellent - it does need a little bit more refining to really be the handy non-micro-management tool it should be.
* Exactly. And if that ever transpires, WZ Rts GPMs would become state-of-the-art, cutting-edge, 21st century, in one fell swoop.... me thinks. :)

/V\I/R\G/I\L/

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Cooldude
Greenhorn

Post by Cooldude »

true...but wont the game be a bit boring without Micro mgmt. all units under commander,s control and all u need to do is to send the commander to a place to sweep the place of....... 

1-First wat we need to modify is the unit movement ,In my games evry tank just tries to cramp  through a small area of 2-3 tiles..Its extreemly annoying.
2-The commander must stay at the back of the army rather than in the front lines which happens to me all the time.
fryBASS
Greenhorn

Post by fryBASS »

Yeah I usually just end up giving up on commanders because it ends up being so much easier to control your units normally.  Again, the part about the commander being in front, it's just horrible. 
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Rman Virgil wrote:
Cooldude wrote: Is the AI hardcoded....ifnot i could try building an AI mod of my own.
* Yup.. it is. :'(
Actually it isn't entirely, some functionality is hardcoded other parts are scripted (don't ask me for the exact functionality separation though).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Cooldude wrote: true...but wont the game be a bit boring without Micro mgmt.
I gotta be honest here... one of the reasons I like WZ so much compared to C&C, WC, etc. is because of the lack of micromanagement, and the focus on macrostrategy.