How did YOU learn about Warzone 2100?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
CRISTIAN
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How did YOU learn about Warzone 2100?

Post by CRISTIAN »

Because...I boughted for "5 pesos"
Attachments
pict0014.jpg
Last edited by CRISTIAN on 10 Jul 2007, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
If (windows rulez) then (Linux fails)
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

I've always been an RTS fan (TA is still one of the best games ever IMNSHO :P) and love anything that lets me customise and tweak, so when I read the Warzone review I immediately bought it.

I stumbled across this remake when I was looking for modifiable RTS engines so I could test some games ideas I have floating around in my head - I've been "intending" to get into game development for the last decade (been on a few mods, etc.) but I'm just to damn unmotivated :P
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

cruise wrote: I've been "intending" to get into game development for the last decade (been on a few mods, etc.) but I'm just to damn unmotivated :P
Take my advice; if you're not very motivated then don't start your own game from scratch, it'll never finish.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

I've noticed :P

I've had at least two working 3D engines at various points, but never really got much further before another game came out which I had to "research" :P

I've pretty much settled down to modding other people's engines now - made some UT2k4 mods for Lan-parties with friends and stuff - and that is pretty much I have time for anymore anyway :/
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

I saw warzone2100 for the first time mid-to-late '98 at a friend's house.  He was playing various games on the Eidos demo CD and Warzone happened to be one of them.  I was impressed with it but didn't think much of it until one day when I was at the mall.

I saw the game on the shelf and picked it up, because I remembered that I had played it, I took a look in the front cover.  I bought it, and that was around March of 1999.  I kept to myself for a while until I beat the Single Player campaign, which was around April or so.  By then, I looked online and found the strategyXtreme message boards, and picked up patch 1.04 which had an upgrade for the AI which made it absolutely heinously evil.

I remember having discussions with Rman Jack and others on the message board about Rail guns :)

Anyway, the rest is history and I've told it in another thread in the development forum.  I've been with the game ever since, although it's been about 2-3 years since I've played the game.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
whalefsh
Greenhorn

Post by whalefsh »

I must have first played the playstation demo around '98/'99, enjoyed it but didn't think anymore of it until I was bored a few months back...
me1
Greenhorn

Post by me1 »

I learned about it on April Fools day. Yay me.
WarzoneFan
New user

Post by WarzoneFan »

I am a fan from the first day I bought the game in early 99. I still have my original disks!

To me and my friends - this is the best RTS ever made.
Computerboy319
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Computerboy319 »

This, the greatest game ever? It was on a demo disc that came with a Tomb Raider game, way back in '99...or '98...so I asked my father to buy me the full version. He bought another copy for himself. We both still have our original discs (except that he's NEVER played his.)
Teken187
Greenhorn

Post by Teken187 »

i too played the psx demo and at first thought it was some cheap micro machines game, but after a few minutes became one of the greatest rts's of all time. right up there with the tiberian series
NucNut
Trained
Trained

Post by NucNut »

Integrated as a demo on the Gex 3D PSX disk. The demo kicked ass and i came back for more :-)

Hard to believe its only been 8 years simnce it came out...
REDAC Aerospace: Proving that aircraft and terrain don't mix since 2005 :D
XFire Profile: dogzeroonefox
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

It was an Eidos demo disk, I forgot how I got it. But it was like in 2000 or 2001 I was addicted to the demo and kept playing it to get the most out of it. Then I asked my mom to get it for me.

And I loved it, but it was a long time before I learned that there were updates to download from the internet. I always wondered why I couldn't get T2 and T3 in Skirmish...I was rather a novice with the computer and the internet at the time.

Nowadays, just the opposite.

I still say this is my favorite RTS game of all time. It wasn't my first; my first would be Star Wars Force Commander. But still my favorite RTS of all time. Better than CNC, even; I find those games boring due to limited building options, and a horridly obnoxious fanbase (Looooong story... e.e).
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

My friend had it on the PS1 and I played the game.
It was 8 years ago I think, he found the game for a cheap price.
I hated mission 7, we didn't managed to get past that mission until we restarted the game and left mission 1 running till we got max energy (6000 on ps1 if I recall correctly).
Then we would just cram out tanks on mission 7 non stop :X
Never got past the second campaign on the ps1 version btw ...
Credits to Kacen for making the image.
suicideidiot123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by suicideidiot123 »

i dont remember too well but im sittin there and my dad says to come see this cool game and he shows me how to play and i fell in love with it...so much he was forced to uninstall it and throw the demo disk away. About a year after that were goin through krogers and we go to their movie rental section (when it was still there) and i saw it so he let me rent it. after that i rented it about...7 times then they auctioned it off and i never saw it again... until less than a year ago