Spam (was something else...)

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Spam (was something else...)

Post by Wibble199 »

...? O_o
Is it just me imagining things or has there been an increase in useless posts/topics lately?

[ Please do not respond to spam. It makes removing them into more work for us moderators, since we do not want to delete real people's posts too. Topic changed. And yes, spam is on the rise on forums worldwide at the moment. I suspect recaptcha is broken. - Per ]
superpirson
Greenhorn

Re: Spam (was something else...)

Post by superpirson »

:twisted: cheep t shirts! by used oatmeal on e-bay, click here! :twisted:
naw, just kidding. i totally agree though, the spammers must be getting clever. i really hate it when computers clutter forums, but i would have thought that that "type in the text in the box above" feature would knock out most junk. :?
ps. wait... why is this under artwork? O_o
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Yeah on our artrev forum we just had about 5 spammers a day new on the forum! It was a pain.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Post by Saberuneko »

Some other forums are being spammed same way. If I find some anti-spam ACP that works, I'll let you know.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I have: it is called newly registered users group. When a person is a "newly registered user" they cannot post unless the post is approved first.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

We had that on another site where I moderate. It was not really a good solution because 1. real posts became sorted out on a regular basis and 2. it was one hell of a lot of work for the mods. For a while the common type-the-text-in-the-picture captcha worked fine, but bots have pattern recognition now. What seems to work is a front end that simply requires to click some highlighted text to proceed to the actual site.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

macuser wrote:I have: it is called newly registered users group. When a person is a "newly registered user" they cannot post unless the post is approved first.
Also, that doesn't help against people putting spam links into their profile.
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

cybersphinx wrote:
macuser wrote:I have: it is called newly registered users group. When a person is a "newly registered user" they cannot post unless the post is approved first.
Also, that doesn't help against people putting spam links into their profile.
And you also would put every newly registered user under general suspicion which might lead into disapproval...
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Asgorath wrote:And you also would put every newly registered user under general suspicion which might lead into disapproval...
Going by the amount of crap users I've deleted the last days, we'd be right about 99% of the time though...
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

LOL thats an understatement! :P
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

brakenfur
Trained
Trained

Post by brakenfur »

i hope that these fourms will not become spammer heaven like so of the other fourms i have been on.