Videos

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
dalu
New user

Videos

Post by dalu »

Hi

i still have my old wz2100 cds and thought if it was possible to reuse the videos by somehow copying them to the hdd.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Videos

Post by lav_coyote25 »

dalu wrote: Hi

i still have my old wz2100 cds and thought if it was possible to reuse the videos by somehow copying them to the hdd.
no it is not possible to do that due to the proprietary format used originally by pumpkin.  they could not release the fmv (videos) .  so all the player code was removed.

we are looking for people that are able to do fmv - and make all new videos.  if you know of anyone that fits the description...advise them to contact the warzone 2100 gpl community.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Pnakotus
New user

Post by Pnakotus »

IIRC the FS2 SCP had a similar situation with Interplay's cutscene format, but they were able to convert them to another open format and use those.  If the content of the cutscenes was liberated, would that be possible here?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

The following readme.txt file dated Monday, December 06, 2004 - included with the Release of the source files explains it all.
Warzone 2100 Source & Data

1) These source and data files are provided as is with no guarantees.

2) No assistance or support will be offered or given.

3) Everything you will require to make a build of the game should be here. If it isn't, you'll have to improvise(*).

4) None of us here at Pivotal Games are in a position to be able to offer any help with making this work.

5) This source code is released under the terms of the GNU Public License.
Please be sure to read the entirety of this license but the summary is that you're free to do what you want
with the source subject to making the full source code freely available in the event of the distribution
of new binaries.

Finally, the primary motivation for this release is for entertainment and educational purposes. On the subject of the
latter, don't be surprised to see some pretty gnarly old-school C code in here; the game was a classic but
large areas of the code aren't pretty; OO design and C++ evangelists beware!  We haven't spent any time
cleaning the code or making if pretty - what you see is what you're getting, warts n' all.

Thankyou to Jonathan Kemp of Eidos Europe for permitting the release.  Thanks also to Frank Lamboy for
assistance with the release and for campaigning along with many many others over the years for the source to be made
available. The correspondence, online petitions and persistence made this possible. We were constantly amazed at the
community support for Warzone even after all this time; it's nice to be able to give something back,
assuming you can get it to compile...;-)

6th December 2004
Alex M - ex Pumpkin Studios (Eidos)

(*) Except FMV and music...
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Pnakotus
New user

Post by Pnakotus »

We have to improvise, except for FMV and music?  Should I apologise for not reading a file that comes with the sourcecode I didn't download?

Anyway, it doesn't answer the question.  If the content of the cutscenes is free, then changing the format to something open should be possible.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

The (*) refers to the previous sentence: Everything except music and movies should be there.

That should answer the question: The movies were not included in the GPL release. Maybe because of the codec, probably just because of the size. But that's how it is, and further requests did receive no answer.
We want information... information... information.