Just Interesting Question.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Just Interesting Question.

Post by Terminator »

Well whats a point. Not so long ago I discovered one project. Called "Springs" ( I dont know may be somebody knows this one).

I tested their game (Its based on an old game "Total Anihilation"). I dont know may be projects like that thousands but I like thier engin (some parts).

http://spring.clan-sy.com/screenshots.php

Screens are impressive. ( I recommend to our devs to check this game ). I dont attract anyone to play that game. I even dont like it & that gameplay.

When I played that game I realy like "landscape" (terrane) big & at the same time nice looks. & one feature that I never seen befor This is its "demolution" (damage) > When units fireing  there are holes appearing in those places. Second feature is water I realy like it.( didnt see it in game but on screens its wonderfull)

Whats a point & What I'm talking about. ?

As for our favourite warzone: As I know that "spring" project is opensource, so is it possible to take thier source & to use it in wz ? For exemple : to share "landscape" or "water". They implemented 3ds file format for maps as I know.

or.....may be I'm talking crazy & Just dreaming like a little boy  :D & this is all is real boulshit.?

I hope that somebody understand what I tryed to tell in this topic.(just want to be usefull here :'( )
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Giel
Regular
Regular

Re: Just Interesting Question.

Post by Giel »

Terminator wrote: As I know that "spring" project is opensource, so is it possible to take thier source & to use it in wz ?
Yes, we could use parts of their code, considering that they're project is licensed under the GNU General Public License just as Warzone is.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Seems like I didn't look at their site for a long while. The screenshots are gorgeous. Will grab it again.
Importing their code may or may not work. This depends on several factors, one of them being how well their engine is designed. Eg. if everything is glued with everything, like in Warzone, I see little chance for this to succeed.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

It is gpl. But written in C++.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Kamaze wrote: It is gpl. But written in C++.
What language is Spring written in?

The spring game engine is written in C and C++. The Windows lobby client is written in Delphi, the lobby server is java. Another portable lobby is being made in Python.

DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

C and C++
This doesn't mean that there are 2 versions of the game, one written in C and one in C++. It means that both languages are mixed.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

ok

I just want that Devs keep in mind that Spring project.

Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

havent really looked at their codebase,but I do think warzone is alot more complex and has vastly bigger codebase than theirs.The warzone engine has lots of potentials,imo warzone engine would have been very competitive with the most popular commercial RTS game engines like SAGE if pumpkin didnt go belly up,prolly other commercial game engines will look as bad as warzone engine code-ish,but who knows.  ;D

I guess spring's engine is highly intergrated too,since intergrated engine seems to be unavoidable for most RTS with relatively huge gamelogics.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

i brought this up  a week ago and got shot down because everyone said it would be too much work.. being i know of several "free" engines that can be used.. the kicker is that as stated in teh thread where i brought it up.. its jst too much work for so few people working on the project.. thus why i was spreading the word at some 3d dev forums that help was needed here.

the unreal engine offers itsel code to alot of "serious" developers if they can prove they are willing to really do something good wiht the code.. and theres also alot of other freebie engines that can be used..  but in the end it still comes down to the massive amount of coding needed to ge it to even resemble the basics of warzone more or less have the feel of the true game..

sure spring is pretty.. but a simple look over thier requirement notes shows the game as VERY unstable and that it dont even run effectivly on multi-threadded computers which will eleminate an ever growing base of computer users.

we need to get the basic and critical flawws in THIS version sorted and get a much bigger working contribution fan base before we can even attempt the jump at starting new code.
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

DFStormbringer wrote: sure spring is pretty.. but a simple look over thier requirement notes shows the game as VERY unstable and that it dont even run effectivly on multi-threadded computers which will eleminate an ever growing base of computer users.
Erm, where did you read that? I can't see any thing being said about multi-core PCs not running TA-Spring, it seems highly unlikely as well. Also I can't find anything about instability whatsoever.

PS not taking effective _advantage of multi-core systems (almost all systems are multi-threaded, just don't have multiple cores to run those threads on), isn't a show stopper whatsoever. It just won't gain any significant performance increase from the fact that there are more than one CPU. Btw warzone doesn't at all use multiple threads, so warzone (unlike TA-Spring, which I see depends on boost::thread) has next to _no_ advantage from multiple cores.
bremac
Greenhorn

Post by bremac »

DFStormbringer wrote: i brought this up  a week ago and got shot down because everyone said it would be too much work.. being i know of several "free" engines that can be used.. the kicker is that as stated in teh thread where i brought it up.. its jst too much work for so few people working on the project.. thus why i was spreading the word at some 3d dev forums that help was needed here.

the unreal engine offers itsel code to alot of "serious" developers if they can prove they are willing to really do something good wiht the code.. and theres also alot of other freebie engines that can be used..  but in the end it still comes down to the massive amount of coding needed to ge it to even resemble the basics of warzone more or less have the feel of the true game..
This was about importing code from another project, or just using it to get ideas for terrain deformation. If I recall correctly, your thread involved something about tacking warzone the source code of a closed source engine, like Unreal, which violates the GPL.
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

Giel wrote: Erm, where did you read that? I can't see any thing being said about multi-core PCs not running TA-Spring, it seems highly unlikely as well. Also I can't find anything about instability whatsoever.

PS not taking effective _advantage of multi-core systems (almost all systems are multi-threaded, just don't have multiple cores to run those threads on), isn't a show stopper whatsoever. It just won't gain any significant performance increase from the fact that there are more than one CPU. Btw warzone doesn't at all use multiple threads, so warzone (unlike TA-Spring, which I see depends on boost::thread) has next to _no_ advantage from multiple cores.

I am having really bad framerates (fps) on my dual core! What am i doing wrong?

Currently spring does not like dual/quad cores, you will get really bad framerates. To solve this, you have to restrict it to run on one core. Download the file from http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php follow the instructions, and make all of the spring exe files (spring.exe, TASClient.exe, all others) run on one core. It will run much faster.
===========================================
Above if a copy and paste from thier OFFICIAL FAQ, Article 2 section 3

sure theres a work around for it..but IMO if this was a KNOWN problem tot he point that its in their faq they should be smart enough to modify the EXE themselvs to gix the download file so that users didnt have to deal with the problem.. or fix it to at least be stable or take advantage of multi cores.

theres also other references to horrible commands, button controls and goofy camera actions that also have "quick fixes" but obviously isent on the dev teams list of "fixing themselvs"
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

If that really happens, DFStormbringer, then they're doing really funky stuff with their multi threading.
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

TA Spring is nice, but I don't really think you need to borrow much from their code.

Can't you already adjust the heightfields of the map in debug mode or something? What sort of issues with pathing would that generate doing it on the fly with a weapon hit?
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

independence war 2 also doesn't do well on windows when not restricted to a single proc -- wasn't really slow so much as unplayably jerky: as far as i'd been able determine (guess), it had some kind of global event timer in one thread, and the main gameloop in another, and the timer thread would press on much faster than it should've until some edge-condition check was matched, and it'd resync itself.