Similar game to WZ but lost name, perhaps you know it?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Yihka
Greenhorn

Similar game to WZ but lost name, perhaps you know it?

Post by Yihka »

Well there was a game where you were some sort of bird ( Note: I'm not sure ), you had this giant wheel which you throw sheeps in so the wheel will spin. While it spins it throws out parts to make a canon. Parts include:

1 barrel canon
2 barrel canon
4 barreled canon
normal wheels
water wheels
etc.

You could stack these parts on eachother like:

4 barreled canon
4 barreled canon
normal wheels

After you make a tank you use it to destroy enemy AI tanks to finish the level. As the game advances more tanks will attack you and you have more small puzzles to solve. Like: go through water with a tank with water wheels and destroy the tank.

Also, there were sheeps that were black. Well they are black be cause there is oil in their fur. You had to drop them in water ( Note: or something similar ) to make them white again so you can use them for your giant wheel!

Does anyone know this game?
R Hannay
Trained
Trained

Re: Similar game to WZ but lost name, perhaps you know it?

Post by R Hannay »

Sounds quite absurd! Now I want to know the name too.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Definitely sounds like a game worth playing :D
I guess the connection to warzone was the "build a tank" thing rather than the "throw sheeps into a wheel" thing.
Why did I never before think of combining the two?
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

First level you are a pterodactyl which since birds are descended from dinosaurs makes sense in your memory, Yihka. :wink:

This game goes back to 1999 when WZ was also first released. What WZ called "Strategy by Design" in making your tanks, this game called that GPM "Part-o-Matic". (BTW, the first PC strat game to use this mechanic of designing your own units was Peter Molineux's 1993 classic "Syndicate" series.)

Very original game with a rare sense of humor. But, IMHO, its downside was a way too heavy emphasis on micro-management.

Game is called Tanktics...

Serendipity is a weird thing - when next I work on WZ stuff 2011 I was thinking of doing a pure comedy mod for MP. We talked about this years ago in Pumpkin's BBs (a very creative discussion that was LOL fun & lasted for several weeks). I made such a mod many years ago for War Craft 2 which was a blast at LAN parties. Sorry, I should make a separate thread to talk about this. :P

- Whipper :3
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

OMG, I used to love Syndicate! That was one of my all time favourite games. Really wish the cyborgs in WZ were like those in Syndicate, that would be AWESOME. The in-game graphics of Syndicate were also really awesome, even though it was done in 2D IIRC.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

aubergine wrote:OMG, I used to love Syndicate! That was one of my all time favourite games. Really wish the cyborgs in WZ were like those in Syndicate, that would be AWESOME. The in-game graphics of Syndicate were also really awesome, even though it was done in 2D IIRC.
Agree. :) Peter Molyneux said this in 2006: "Aside from the licensing complications, some sort of next-gen online version of Syndicate would certainly be popular with gamers." I was glad to hear that as of 2009, Swedish game developer Starbreeze was working on a "re-invention" of Syndicate codenamed Project RedLime. :3

- whip 8)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

aubergine wrote:Really wish the cyborgs in WZ were like those in Syndicate, that would be AWESOME.
How would they be different?
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

aubergine wrote:Really wish the cyborgs in WZ were like those in Syndicate, that would be AWESOME.
Per wrote:How would they be different?
I won't preempt aubergine speaking to that question but I will provide the Borg Design UI / Mechanic from the first Syndicate as that may be useful to the discussion. (1993 - DOS lo res screens.)

Also - the Research UI / Mechanic of Syndicate may be of interest since it is linked to the Design UI / Mechanic and this topic has come up in past discussions about modifying WZ's Research Mechanic.

(Originally, I posted in these forums about 3 years ago.)

- whip :hmm:
Attachments
Syndicate Cyborg Design Screen.jpg
Syndicate Research Screen.jpg
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Well, I think for starters WZ cyborgs should be dressed in sleeping bag-like coats :) (I jest.)

But really, I think it would be quite nice if you could choose body, propulsion, and weapon to design own cyborgs. Eg. different propulsions could include "legs' (bit like the current cyborgs, but perhaps more mechwarrior like?) or jetpack. Body could be various types of design from humanoid (current type of cyborg in WZ) to more heavy body mech. It would be cool if more types of systems turret could be attached, eg. a radar cyborg.

There's an iPhone game called "Heavy Mach 2" that has some really awesome designs for mechs and weapons, etc. There you get to choose different feet, body, weapon, and so on. The feet determine the speed of the mech, the body is mainly about armour, etc.
Attachments
IMG_0174.PNG
IMG_0173.PNG
IMG_0172.PNG
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Few more screenies from Heavy Mach 2 on iPhone.

Note: I'm not suggesting there be an equipment shop or anything like that, that would not fit well with WZ. But the ability to have different propulsion, body and weapon/systems turret would be nice.
Attachments
IMG_0178.PNG
IMG_0176.PNG
IMG_0175.PNG