Compatable with Windows XP?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Rocket Edge
Greenhorn

Compatable with Windows XP?

Post by Rocket Edge »

Hello everyone, new member here.  :)

I haven't played Warzone since I got a new computer, with Windows XP, because I lost it a while back. I absolutely love the game, and was just wondering that if I bought Warzone again, would it be compatable with my PC? If not, what should I do if I want to play it?

Any help is appreciated.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Compatable with Windows XP?

Post by lav_coyote25 »

just grab the most recent (2.0.6) release of the warzone 2100 GPL - it works on windows xp / linux / mac / and others are possible if anyone takes up the challenge...

downloads are here!!
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

if you specifically want to play the original version with movies, i think there are also some ways to get it to run on xp, but you'll find more information at places like realtimestrategies.net, since this board is dedicated to the foss version of warzone 2100.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

or you can email me and i will send you the last warzone 2100 document project file with everything ... about 71.4 MB (74,964,992 bytes) on disk. html files.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

You can run it on windows XP if you have windows service pack 2 installed and are using the official warzone 1.10 patch.
Rocket Edge
Greenhorn

Post by Rocket Edge »

lav_coyote25 wrote: or you can email me and i will send you the last warzone 2100 document project file with everything ... about 71.4 MB (74,964,992 bytes) on disk. html files.
Wow, that would be brilliant. I'm in the process of ordering a new copy of Warzone as we speak. I guess i'll have to download the appropriate patches in order to play it on XP, unless...
just grab the most recent (2.0.6) release of the warzone 2100 GPL
Is this a newer release copy of Warzone, or just some patch that I need to download in order to play it on XP? You'll have to forgive me, i'm not the greatest on computers.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Rocket Edge wrote: Wow, that would be brilliant. I'm in the process of ordering a new copy of Warzone as we speak. I guess i'll have to download the appropriate patches in order to play it on XP, unless...Is this a newer release copy of Warzone, or just some patch that I need to download in order to play it on XP? You'll have to forgive me, i'm not the greatest on computers.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
It's a new release. Since the warzone source has been released , everybody can download and play it for free :d . Unfortunatly, the ingame movies were not included. This means you can download and play 2.0.6 but if you want the movies, you'll have to buy the game (if you can finf it anywhere )
Rocket Edge
Greenhorn

Post by Rocket Edge »

Hatsjoe wrote: It's a new release. Since the warzone source has been released , everybody can download and play it for free :d . Unfortunatly, the ingame movies were not included. This means you can download and play 2.0.6 but if you want the movies, you'll have to buy the game (if you can finf it anywhere )
Okay I get you. This is great then, i'm gonna download it right away. Does this include online multiplayer mode too?

Thanks again Hatsjoe.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Rocket Edge wrote: Does this include online multiplayer mode too?

Thanks again Hatsjoe.
Yes it does. Check around these forums to find some servers to play on.
Rocket Edge
Greenhorn

Post by Rocket Edge »

Hatsjoe wrote: Yes it does. Check around these forums to find some servers to play on.
Will do, Cheers.
Rocket Edge
Greenhorn

Post by Rocket Edge »

Just another question folks, is there any way to make the warzone screen actually fit my screen to the full? At the moment its only being played at half my screens availability, making it quite small...
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

info you need is here: http://wz2100.net/wiki/faq
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Since this question has been asked so many times, I wonder if it woud be better to standardly run in fullscreen. I believe that many people don't wanna go through the trouble of searching for a way to run fullscreen, or even need a forum to get their answer. + Their are probably some novice users that have never even worked wit shortcut parameters. For all people on this boards, it's not much trouble. But think of all the trouble some people have to go through. So i say: automatically run fullscreen on first start or include ingame resolution/screen format options. Hope this doesn't take us more off-topic than we already were. But i wanted to post it right here were "the question" popped up once again !
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Actually I read a quite good article about something like that ( http://www106.pair.com/rhp/free-software-ui.html ).

And I think you're right: sane defaults are better (meaning in this context: fullscreen by default for a game).

Although that won't solve resolution settings.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Giel wrote: Actually I read a quite good article about something like that ( http://www106.pair.com/rhp/free-software-ui.html ).

And I think you're right: sane defaults are better (meaning in this context: fullscreen by default for a game).

Although that won't solve resolution settings.
agreed. fullscreen should be default for most games, but since wz has no (functional) code for dynamically changing the resolution, i think it's better for it to stay windowed by default, so that a novice user is forced to realize they're running in low-resolution mode (i've known far too many people who buy top of the line video cards, or even midrange ones, but are unable to notice that their game is interpolated up to 1600x1200 onto their lcd from a 640x480 resolution...