Compatable with Windows XP?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Re: Compatable with Windows XP?

Post by Hatsjoe »

kage wrote: agreed. fullscreen should be default for most games, but since wz has no (functional) code for dynamically changing the resolution, i think it's better for it to stay windowed by default, so that a novice user is forced to realize they're running in low-resolution mode (i've known far too many people who buy top of the line video cards, or even midrange ones, but are unable to notice that their game is interpolated up to 1600x1200 onto their lcd from a 640x480 resolution...
Isn't it possible to popup an options dialog everytime before the game starts ? Something that's not really a part of warzone but only changes it's shortcut parameters ? That would be a much friendlier approach to novice and experienced users. 
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Hatsjoe wrote: Isn't it possible to popup an options dialog everytime before the game starts ? Something that's not really a part of warzone but only changes it's shortcut parameters ? That would be a much friendlier approach to novice and experienced users. 
No, this would only work for OSes using shortcuts (windows only AFAIK). Plus popping up dialogs usually requires, direct or indirect, interfacing with the native GUI system (e.g. Win API, Xlib). Which is non-portable, unless you use some kind of widget toolkit, which mostly are written in C++ (rather than just plain C)...

So this would be a lot of work only to change commandline arguments.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Giel wrote: No, this would only work for OSes using shortcuts (windows only AFAIK). Plus popping up dialogs usually requires, direct or indirect, interfacing with the native GUI system (e.g. Win API, Xlib). Which is non-portable, unless you use some kind of widget toolkit, which mostly are written in C++ (rather than just plain C)...

So this would be a lot of work only to change commandline arguments.
actually, it is doable... if it's windows, make a shortcut, if it's a nix based system, make a sh script. something like that could probably be done fairly quickly in python using any number of toolkits (most of the modern *nix tk's are cross-platform compatible), and python's not as much of a hassle as it used to be on windows, since you can compile a python interpereter with your custom python bytecode hardcoded in (all the windows user gets is a .exe that works out of the box), and *nix platforms tend to already have python anyways.

EDIT: just as easily could make a dos batch file on the windows systems -- that way, you don't need to find any windows shortcut specific libs for c, python, or whatever, and it simplifies the code a lot.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Ah you intend to make it a separate application altogether? That could work. I wouldn't want to integrate it into WZ itself however.
Rocket Edge
Greenhorn

Post by Rocket Edge »

I agree that full-screen should be standard. As one member pointed out, it would be difficult for a novice gamer to have problems, even with that link posted earlier. I'm an example of a novice gamer, and I can't interpret what it has to say about putting my screen to fullsize.  :-\
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Rocket Edge wrote: I agree that full-screen should be standard.
Fullscreen will now be the default for people who don't have a warzone config file yet (warzone creates this at its first run). This will be introduced in 2.0.7 when it will be released.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Giel wrote: Fullscreen will now be the default for people who don't have a warzone config file yet (warzone creates this at its first run). This will be introduced in 2.0.7 when it will be released.
cool, that's a smart compromise.
Giel wrote: Ah you intend to make it a separate application altogether? That could work. I wouldn't want to integrate it into WZ itself however.
you'd seriously want to have to click "okay" to start warzone every time you run it, even if the settings are alright? (including the additional loading time it takes for that "okay" button to come up)

besides, i'm a *nixer before all else, and we know that the "make every frontend (either via api or commandline interface to backend) seperate" philosophy is superior in just about all ways to the "make it one giant application" philosophy.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Jeej !!! ;D
UrbanVoyeur
Trained
Trained

Post by UrbanVoyeur »

Giel wrote: Ah you intend to make it a separate application altogether? That could work. I wouldn't want to integrate it into WZ itself however.
I think WZ starter used to do this.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

UrbanVoyeur wrote: I think WZ starter used to do this.
Aah yes, a long time ago :)
I actually meant something like wz starter when i suggested addind a start up tool for warzone. But giel's current solutions seems good enough to me :)
Rocket Edge
Greenhorn

Post by Rocket Edge »

Good stuff.  :D