Android anyone??

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
BoldInferno
Greenhorn

Android anyone??

Post by BoldInferno »

First off, I just about fell of my chair when I stumbled uppon this site. WZ2100 Has been my fav game for years. I always found it funny how every newer game like this i.e. C&C, doesnt shine a light to what 2100 was all about. And then to discover their is a whole community developeing, improveing, and updateing the game is beyond great.

Now to the real question and topic for discussion. Is it possible to get this game running on a high end Android cellphone? If not the full version, maybe small side missions to unlock custom options or rank up single units would be great. If an old classic is able to do what windows mobile 7 is trying to accomplish, not only do I see intrest in the game going up, but this could peek the intrest in people with the cash wads. Just a thought. But the way I see it, if this community has kept this game this strong, all it will take is a couple right investers to bring this game back to the top.

p.s. Little fantasy to toss out there.. Massive online multiplayer game with Armored Core units as the main characters commanding the warzone battle fleet.

p.p.s. If an experianced programmer would be will to take me under their wing im sure i could contribute a great deal=D
jumico
Greenhorn

Re: Android anyone??

Post by jumico »

I can see it maybe for an android tablet but not a phone.

i removed my irrelevance
Last edited by jumico on 29 Sep 2010, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
BoldInferno
Greenhorn

Re: re jumico

Post by BoldInferno »

Thanks for spamming my post close minded rant. But in fact, your an idiot. Microsoft is dumping some good deal of cash into that samr concept with windows mobile 7 and xbox. So this is not some far fetch idea. Just thinking outside the box a little.

Myself personaly, have no cable, no internet, just my cheap ally droid and it does everything I need and more. Gives my laptop internet, but things of this nature are done on my droid.

You can't tell me, that if you could, you wouldn't improve your base, or rank up a unit or two on your phone.

You need to quit being so narrow minded and leave these sort of opinions to your blog cause no one wants to hear it here. Its rather funny though because you seem to be one of the ones you rant about, but at least on facebook or myspace people are expections things of this sort. So really, doesn't this make you one notch worse than those you described
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

android and wz could be a match made in heaven. i can see it on a Samsung Galaxy Android Phone, in a possibly stripped-down version like you suggested, getting attention and being popular. but i also think it could be done with a more full implementation, and potentially huge fan base, with Android 3.0 coming next year and on an android 7" tablet with telephony functionality and using the fastest mobile CPU available today – the NVIDIA Tegra 2, Dual ARM 9 CPU (1GHz clock speed).

just my penny's worth of opinion.
jumico
Greenhorn

Post by jumico »

You took my post much too seriously. I apologize if I offended you. Also I'm not sure what you're talking about.

For a real answer the full game would probably be too difficult to port to android. Android doesn't have x-windows and has other limitations that would make things difficult. But anything is possible if there is someone who wants to put in the effort and I'm often wrong about things. It would probably port to meego much easier.
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

jumico wrote:You took my post much too seriously. I apologize if I offended you. Also I'm not sure what you're talking about.

For a real answer the full game would probably be too difficult to port to android. Android doesn't have x-windows and has other limitations that would make things difficult. But anything is possible if there is someone who wants to put in the effort and I'm often wrong about things. It would probably port to meego much easier.
you can run x-windows on android. ghostwalker did it back in early 2009.
jumico
Greenhorn

Post by jumico »

cumandgetit wrote: you can run x-windows on android. ghostwalker did it back in early 2009.
Cool I didn't know that. This just shows I'm wrong. But it looks as though it is something that has to be done on a modified version of android. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I think if someone is going to put work into something they will want it to work for the majority of people. The hedge-wars team made a version of their game for the ipad so porting is definitely a possibility.

I came across this accidentally.
http://androidforums.com/application-re ... -port.html

It looks like the c++ code needs to be written in Java or put in wrapper or something from my limited understanding.
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

cumandgetit wrote: you can run x-windows on android. ghostwalker did it back in early 2009.
jumico wrote:Cool I didn't know that. This just shows I'm wrong. But it looks as though it is something that has to be done on a modified version of android. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I think if someone is going to put work into something they will want it to work for the majority of people. The hedge-wars team made a version of their game for the ipad so porting is definitely a possibility.

I came across this accidentally.
http://androidforums.com/application-re ... -port.html

It looks like the c++ code needs to be written in Java or put in wrapper or something from my limited understanding.
only reason I know is cause 3 months ago i decided to look into getting an android tablet and so i started cramming on everything android - os software, apps, hardware... and the possibility of porting wz. (right now i'm on the fence between samsung's galaxy tab and elocity's A7 tab).

from my understanding one of the biggest issues to running wz on an android tab will be the gfx drivers or lack of the necessary ones.

right now you can run full-fledged linux apps on an android.

here are a couple links that give you the full how-to-do-it instructions. a little techy but not really hard i think. really,

it should be done ideally under google's forthcoming in 2011 Q1 android v.3.0. then i would look to NVIDIA's Tegra 2, Dual ARM 9 CPU because that has the horses to run even wz trunk - but, again, it's gfx driver support is key.

while it won't be a piece of cake to get wz on android i think it won't be as hard and grueling as it might at first seem.

here are the links:

Run X Windows X11 on your Android smartphone - HOW TO step by step instructions

and:

Run X-Windows on Android/G1 with either GUI (Gnome, KDE, IceWM or LXDE Desktop)

but let me stress, i am not deep on actually doing any of this just cause i crammed for a few months.
Last edited by cumandgetit on 29 Sep 2010, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
BoldInferno
Greenhorn

Post by BoldInferno »

@ Jumico. I was pissed casue my legit topic turned into your soapbox. But ill digress, thanks to all the others posting relevent responces.

Im not enough into propgramming as I should, so please excuse my ignorance for these questions.

Is it possible to bit and piece the info into another engine and fill in the gaps with new code?
Would it be possible to create a small scale scirmish for droid phones then send the updated unit ranks back to the full comp version?

I never thought I would have came across this site, but now that i have, I cant believe more hasnt been done. Again im sorry for my ignorance but it seems everyone is makeing this a shiny relic. Thumbs up the the soon to be updated looks, but i think a major issue is being ignored. If this game is going to continue its legacy, it must be redone in a updated format.

We all loved the basic movement of the game, kill base, get new tech, design new units. As far as im concerned, i have no idea why comand and conquer made so many titles and warzone has been kept to one. This is a game thats over 10 years old, and if anyone out there wants to keep this going and open it up to more users, it must be updated.

This is a time for a new era. After Atari, game developers split off to form their own companies. Now its time for the independents to bring such promiseing oldies, back to the forfront of the gameing community. After all, gaming has all but stayed the same. They have just improved graphics and rewards.

P.s. Could WZ be played on a hacked ps3? and if so, is internet play possible... (i know u can play the orig. in the ps3, but would internet play work?)
jumico
Greenhorn

Post by jumico »

cumandgetit wrote: from my understanding one of the biggest issues to running wz on an android tab will be the gfx drivers or lack of the necessary ones.

right now you can run full-fledged linux apps on an android.

here are a couple links that give you the full how-to-do-it instructions. a little techy but not really hard i think. really,

it should be done ideally under google's forthcoming in 2011 Q1 android v.3.0. then i would look to NVIDIA's Tegra 2, Dual ARM 9 CPU because that has the horses to run even wz trunk - but, again, it's gfx driver support is key.

while it won't be a piece of cake to get wz on android i think it won't be as hard and grueling as it might at first seem.

here are the links:

Run X Windows X11 on your Android smartphone - HOW TO step by step instructions

and:

Run X-Windows on Android/G1 with either GUI (Gnome, KDE, IceWM or LXDE Desktop)

but let me stress, i am not deep on actually doing any of this just cause i crammed for a few months.
Cool thanks for the info and links.
I think you can play linux games on the ps3s linux but I guess there is some sort of graphics restriction that limits the ps3s ability. See the link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OtherOS
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

The biggest issue on any platform is going to be OpenGL support. Without that, you are swimming uphill.
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

stiv wrote:The biggest issue on any platform is going to be OpenGL support. Without that, you are swimming uphill.
yup. fortunately the NVIDIA's Tegra 2, Dual ARM 9 CPU that will drive many of the android tablets definitely supports open gl.

BoldInferno - i see your sticking to the android phone. it may happen but it is much more likely to happen on the android tablets with droid v.3.0 in both 7" and 10" versions with NVIDIA's Tegra 2, Dual ARM 9 CPU.

Jumico - some super 3d games for android already - mainly fps and racers. but nothing in wz2100's class as far as rts. wz on android would dominate strat games on the platform. talking potential million dl when i say dominate because by end of 2011 there will be millions of droid tabs sold
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Well AFAIK since there is already a linux version of wz you may very well be able to run it unmodified - just compile for ARM android.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

macuser wrote:Well AFAIK since there is already a linux version of wz you may very well be able to run it unmodified - just compile for ARM android.
been able to run linux apps on android since feb 2009 but like stiv said it comes down to open gl support. pretty sure about the NVIDIA cpu droid tabs but have to wait till I get my hands on samsungs galaxy droid tab to test cause they don't use NVIDIAs cpu and samsungs droid looks to be Apple iPads main head to head competition to come globally (assumming they get their pricing struct in line for both unlocked & telco subsidized versions).
BoldInferno
Greenhorn

Post by BoldInferno »

Running it on droid is one thing. What about a side app that allows u to level up your tanks while ur waiting at the doc office? This game obviously has dump trucks worth of potential seeing the community how many years after it came out. We need to branch out. Makeing the original shiney isn't going to bring to many new users in. Design a reverse tower defence where we send the tanks in to kill the towers. Idk, we just need something new. Cudos to all the work everyone has put into the further development on this game. I just think we need a diff direction.