WZ League

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Germanium
Trained
Trained

WZ League

Post by Germanium »

Considering that there are a lot of players for the 3v3 tournie by Delphino we could think about starting a WZ League. There could be a team league and a single player league. People/Teams can join to a certain date. There will be (number of players/teams)*2 games per season. First round player/team A gets to choose the map, second round player/team B gets to choose. Rules should be limited to "no cheating" while we can rely on the devs to do their best to keep the game balanced. Point system could be 3 win, 0 loss and 1 for a draw that could be negotiated during the game if the parties like. Both, the idea and the rules are open to discussion. All games can be done whenever people like (just not more than once (or twice with the return game) per season) and we could keep a list here or somewhere else if we find someone hosting that list.
The 2 games should allow for variety of low and high power maps and people like 3drts or dylan can do their low power maps while they offer the match and have to accept to play whatever is given on the rematch.

Bad idea?

above is not completely true anymore. With the elo rating system there is no need for "seasons" and games can be done as often as people like. There could be a final date each year if we want to have that.
Last edited by Germanium on 27 Sep 2010, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment. - Carl Friedrich Gauss
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: WZ League

Post by JDW »

Germanium wrote:Bad idea?
W00t? It's a great idea! :3 :3 :3 :3 :3
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Germanium
Trained
Trained

Post by Germanium »

After giving it some more thought and speaking with NoQ (hao in the forums), i think it is fair to start a list with people who would like to participate in a wz league. The idea is that there are currently 3 "leagues" for single players, teams with 2 and 3 players (as it is still somewhat unstable to host 8 on many maps).

Single player league players: JDW[BDC],RBL-Lucky Luke, RBL-effigy, Ryo, RBL-Wisler, tmp[BDC], Dylan_Hsu, NoQ, kracker[BDC],BP[BDC]
Teams with 2 players: (truckspin, RBL-Lucky Luke), (Anscar,Ryo)
Teams with 3 players: -

There will be (number of players/teams)*2 games per league. Win: 3 points, Draw: 1 point, Loss: 0 points.

The main question which troubles me most is would the participants like to play all along "no rules" (besides "no cheating") games or would it be nice to set a set of rules? I give an example on how it could be done:
player 1 plays player 4 in game 1: player 1 gets to choose the map and player 4 gets to choose the position and "rules" (see below).
and later in the championship
player 4 plays player 1 in game ?: player 4 gets to choose the map and player 1 gets to choose the position and "rules" (see below).
The "rules" could be a free combination of:
a) No VTOL: meaning no VTOLs and transports (definition here).
b) BT 5, 10, 20 min: (definition here).
c) No mobile Artillery: (definition here).
d) No mobile Sensors: (definition here).
e) No Artillery: (definition here).
This set of "rules" should be defined before the league starts if we want to have any at all. I will wait to define and discuss that until enough people are willing to participate.

The other big open question will be what happens with disconnects, wz crashes, freezes, fps drops and other bugs? Will it require a code of honor from which we are able to decide if the game should be repeated or can be counted for one side? Also, this discussion should start once we find participants for these leagues.

I am hoping that you will notify me here and/or irc (RBL-Lucky Luke) if you would like to participate.

Thanks

current votes for "rules" (see post below for a complete list)
no rules: tmp[BDC], RBL-Lucky Luke, truckspin
Last edited by Germanium on 28 Sep 2010, 23:22, edited 11 times in total.
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment. - Carl Friedrich Gauss
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Count me in. :3
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Ryo
Trained
Trained

Post by Ryo »

me too
Germanium
Trained
Trained

Post by Germanium »

Added you already ;-)

Just had some suggestions from twister in irc. The result is, counting in a chess like way (elo point system) would probably better
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
Although i did not read it yet i think it would be better to count games against noobs with less points (if the "pro" wins) than winning against "pros". I wish i could do the math without reading/thinking ;-)
Ryo
Trained
Trained

Post by Ryo »

A put me together with Anscar in the 2-player-league! .-)
Germanium
Trained
Trained

Post by Germanium »

Ok, found an online elo rater
http://elo.divergentinformatics.com/
that is able to calculate elo ratings from a match. The starting value of each wz league player/ team would be 1000 and changes would be calculated by the above elo rater until i have found an external freeware tool to do that or until i have written something myself.
So without games the current league would be something like this (single player as an example):
1. JDW[BDC] 1000
1. RBL-effigy 1000
1. RBL-Lucky Luke 1000
1. RBL-Wisler 1000
1. Ryo 1000
And if wisler wins twice against me while loosing once against me, the updated list would be:
1. RBL-Wisler 1004.16666667
2. JDW[BDC] 1000
2. RBL-effigy 1000
2. Ryo 1000
3. RBL-Lucky Luke 995.833333333
The elo rating system takes into account the difference in the current rating and therefore should result in games where people normally play against other people on the same level because that will give them more "points" than playing against someone less skilled.
tmp500
Trained
Trained

Post by tmp500 »

count me in for single player. i am for no rules.... tmp
Germanium
Trained
Trained

Post by Germanium »

With the elo rating system, the idea of having two games per "pair" where each is able to choose a map of his liking has to be changed a little. Since there can be as many games as people like to have it should be that the one with lower points is able to choose the map. If both players/teams have equal ratings, then what? Actually i dont know but i guess it could be that the one asking for a match has to accept the map the other player/team chooses.

Game reports: My suggestion is that the looser reports the outcome "i have lost against effigy", or - for a draw - both people report the outcome (including a date and time so it is possible to match the reports).

Please vote on the rules:
1) no rules (apart from the obvious "no cheating" rule)
2) the above suggestion (the less skilled player may set a set of rules, see above)
3) another option (please post)

current votes:
1) tmp[BDC], truckspin, RBL-Lucky Luke, RBL-effigy, JDW[BDC], Dylan_Hsu, kracker[BDC],BP[BDC]
2)
3)
Last edited by Germanium on 28 Sep 2010, 23:24, edited 4 times in total.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I vote for game rule option #1.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Option one: No Rules
-- Ambrose Bierce
Germanium
Trained
Trained

Post by Germanium »

What i haven't even thought about is the no bases/bases thing and T1/T2/T3. Unless there are major objections it will be "no bases, T1" - starting from scratch, unless both parties agree (i dont care then) to do otherwise. Doing other games can and should be done either outside the league in "private" games (meaning not counting here most likely) or in "private" tourneys.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

So, the league play will be "no bases, t1" only?
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

With the elo rating system there is no need for "seasons" and games can be done as often as people like.
Not absolutely true, actually. :geek: Elo becomes very inaccurate if two players play 100 games in a row between each other without meeting any other players (or at least if the set of players isn't connected). :hmm:

P.S. Mind if i join? (:
Single so far (: