Desktops.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Warhead
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Desktops.

Post by Warhead »

Here is mine. Just recently built this one since my last computer died.

skellr
Trained
Trained

Post by skellr »

Kinda low contrast to make the old CRT bearable.

old-school bitmap fonts.  :P
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

skellr wrote: Image
very nice looking.  now all you need is a browser that'll intelligently invert css colors whenever a page is "bright"
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

That low contrast desktop looks very nice.. what type of linux is that? id like to try linux [yes, i still use xp] but i dont know what version to choose.
skellr
Trained
Trained

Post by skellr »

Thanks. :)
kage wrote: very nice looking.  now all you need is a browser that'll intelligently invert css colors whenever a page is "bright"
Yeah, someone has to be close to something like that by now. An accessibility feature?

doom3r wrote: That low contrast desktop looks very nice.. what type of linux is that? id like to try linux [yes, i still use xp] but i dont know what version to choose.
I'm using Gentoo with the Xfce for the Desktop. I would recommend taking a look at a couple of distro choosers and compare the results. They seem to make a good call with their suggestions.
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php
http://polishlinux.org/choose/quiz/

I honestly cant say any of them are "bad" distros, no worrys about that. They are all popular for good reasons.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Here are the results of the tests:

1st test http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

Mandriva
Debian [like kage]
Fedora
Ark Linux
and some other noob system like ubuntu and kubuntu  :P

2nd test http://polishlinux.org/choose/quiz/

Gentoo [like skellr  :D]
Slackware Linux
Free BSD
ArchLinux
KateOS

I really dont know what distribution to choose, but i'd like a text-based system, as I can see Debian is a lot text-based, dunno about the others... I think i'm either moving to Debian or Gentoo, but id like to have some suggestion. Btw, are ArchLinux and ArkLinux the same OS?
mongoose
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mongoose »

doom3r wrote:...and some other noob system like ubuntu and kubuntu  :P
What about it is noobish, exactly?

As for desktops, I use eight, so I'll just post the first. You can see the other 7 in the top left as thumbnails.
Attachments
bg1.jpg
.........................................I like Gauss Cannons.........................................
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

mongoose wrote: What about it is noobish, exactly?

As for desktops, I use eight, so I'll just post the first. You can see the other 7 in the top left as thumbnails.
i wouldn't say there's anything noobish about having something that simply works as soon as you install it. doing anything beyond that, though, i found to be cumbersome on ubuntu -- the debian default shell is bash, which ubuntu inherits, but none of the ubuntu installs i've seen have bash completion enabled by default, at which point using the keyboard is somehow actually slower than the mouse... and yes, it's normally easy enough to enable completion per user, though i seem to recall that i had to install an additional package to get anything beyond simple filename completion.
skellr
Trained
Trained

Post by skellr »

doom3r wrote: Here are the results of the tests:

1st test http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

Mandriva
Debian [like kage]
Fedora
Ark Linux
and some other noob system like ubuntu and kubuntu   :P

2nd test http://polishlinux.org/choose/quiz/

Gentoo [like skellr  :D]
Slackware Linux
Free BSD
ArchLinux
KateOS

I really dont know what distribution to choose, but i'd like a text-based system, as I can see Debian is a lot text-based, dunno about the others... I think i'm either moving to Debian or Gentoo, but id like to have some suggestion. Btw, are ArchLinux and ArkLinux the same OS?
I was hoping it would narrow down the choices to two or three. And then both of them end up giving different suggestions! Ohh well.

Debian is nice and has a slick installer. You'd be up and running in no time. It's been around a while and there are lots of packages in the repository's, witch is a nice thing to have. Like when you want to buld warzone from the trunk and there are already packages in the repo for it's dependencys. (quesoglc)  :)

Gentoo is nice if you want a really custom setup and this is where can be difficult as a first dirtro. It helps to know what you want and how you want it. There are alot of choices to make and alot to configure before it starts working. It will take a long time to setup.

Arch and Ark are different. I haven't used Arch but there are alot of heated discussions about it, witch is a good thing. Ark looks interesting, Based on Gentoo with Debain's APT package manager.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

my actual rez is 1280x1024, shrunk here for conveneince.

why does every desktop/GUI thread turn into a drama about MS v Linux???
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

I wouldn't say it's a ms vs linux drama, in this case it's more like linux distros preferences.
Anyway, I recently started using Ubuntu, it's easy to use, there were it's similar to windows, for the rest I have to search a bit but so far I like it.
Vista is still my main OS, but since I'm cutting down oin games since a few years already, I might put my next PC in Ubuntu or another linux distro.
I'm mostly seeking something complicated so that 99% of the people comming at my place don't touch my PC since they wont understand anything of out.
That's my only reason to go linux ^_^
I have no life and my PC is my wife, other people aren't allowed to touch it.

To get back on topic, I haven't posted my background yet and it will be impossible, since the content breaches the forum rules.
Credits to Kacen for making the image.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

heh... even vista uses thumbs.db, eh? they really need a better system (every time i use my usb drive at school, it seems i've got a db file when i plug it in later at home)
Last edited by kage on 05 Jan 2008, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

I think I have a problem with my Windows desktop. Every time I hide my desktop icons (RightClick) the desktop image quality drops, and it isnt displayed fine, like hiding alters the image resolution and makes it look bad.  >:(
Can anyone help me??

Btw, when I fix this problem, ill post a screenshot of my desktop.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

well, it'd help if you mention your windows version. iirc, without icons, windows xp and earlier might go into the web-display mode, which would use the internet explorer renderer as the backend.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

meh, sorry. i have win xp media center edit. 2005 sp2. But, from what you said it could be a renderer problem...