Poll:Why warzone multiplayer is less attractive?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.

Why is the multiplayer mode not as attractive as the singleplayer mode?

Unstable: Desync and stuff
46%
Prolonged games: A game usually lasts multiple hours
4%
Huge tech tree: Always the player who knows the tech tree best who wins the game
No votes
Imbalance: Certain weapons/bodies are too good while the rest are useless
4%
Turtling: Players fortify themselves and aggravate the prolonged games problem
8%
Lack of diversity: The weapons/bodies/units are same except their appearance. No factions etc
8%
All of the above
8%
Warzone mp rocks!!!
23%

Total votes: 26

Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Re: Poll:Why warzone multiplayer is less attractive?

Post by Kamaze »

Terminator wrote: ...
but as for me the First problem in the "list" is that too difficult find a partner for playing in the internet. I'm talking about a dedicated server or somethig like gamespy. Alternative programe could be "Directgames"..but it long time didnt show a "life" signals.(means dead project)
Maybe this lets hope :)

https://mail.gna.org/public/warzone-com ... 00222.html
https://mail.gna.org/public/warzone-com ... 00220.html

Its quite a bit unstable, but the essential things do work.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Hmmm :) Works already bigun ?  That's great ! :) I love you WRP !!
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Terminator wrote: not only async makes MP not popular. little staff which needs every game make uncomfortable mp game like:
-not implemented ally visibility(I remember it was add & removed in 2.0.4_rc1 //& it was buggy too :( )
It's re-implemented by Troman a while ago(maybe before 2.0.6,but I am not sure if that feature was backported to 2.0 branch or not)
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Kamaze Could you creat new topic for MasterServer & give more information: release data, how it will works, possible to play through proxy or firewalls.

ot type here...please :)

& why it calls MasterServer (WZMS)? Why not Dedicated Server(WZDS) ?

Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

A dedicated server is for me one of (planned) multiple server. Like Quake or Half Life game server.
Masterserver is a bit odd too, maybe lobby would fit from the sense.

And a separate topic... for what?
Like i said, it is still a bit buggy, for example, if you want to join a game but forget to forward port 9998 in your router, warzone just segfaults. About the release, i don't know :)
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

May be you can make a pre-beta test server ? ;D

& Will be something like a officail server like "wz2100.net"  ? just enter it in wz2100 & play the game :)

Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Will be something like a officail server like "wz2100.net"  ? just enter it in wz2100 & play the game :)
The official server is the default lobby server. (DevUrandom added a config option in the config file)
But don't be euphoric and don't expect too much. It just lists open games at the moment.

I think this will be included with the next release.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

Watermelon wrote: It's re-implemented by Troman a while ago(maybe before 2.0.6,but I am not sure if that feature was backported to 2.0 branch or not)
No, it wasn't backiported.

About PMs, it is possible to send PMs, although it isn't very convenient. You have to close communication channels to all players but the one you want to PM. ('enter' button on the numeric pad).
?topic=1617.0
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Troman wrote: About PMs, it is possible to send PMs, although it isn't very convenient. You have to close communication channels to all players but the one you want to PM. ('enter' button on the numeric pad).
Very easy way....especialy for quick message send.

This is what I'm talking about...too many things that makes game uncomfy to play MP.
Kamaze wrote: It just lists open games at the moment.
If it isnt "run" with proxy of firewall its not so important(there are many external soft like freecap, proxyfer that can fix it)..I dont understand a little....This server just "watch" who created the game (his IP) ..& what else ? Can we enter in that game & play ? if "Yes" so I can creat the game & just wait when somebody laungch the game & will see my game. Right ?

Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Terminator wrote: Very easy way....especialy for quick message send.

This is what I'm talking about...too many things that makes game uncomfy to play MP.

If it isnt "run" with proxy of firewall its not so important(there are many external soft like freecap, proxyfer that can fix it)..I dont understand a little....This server just "watch" who created the game (his IP) ..& what else ? Can we enter in that game & play ? if "Yes" so I can creat the game & just wait when somebody laungch the game & will see my game. Right ?
The master server gets/updates the gamedata/gamelisting info of warzone 'clients' with connectivity to it in a fixed interval.

Others will be able to see your game in lobby in game as long as all of you have connectivity to the master server(s).(assuming everyone has the access to master serverware and the master server addr is customizable in config file)
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Sorry for my stupid but CAN I join to that game which will be showen in the gameslist ?

anyway WRP I'm Beging you !please ! Add this MP feature in next release. Please ! Please ! Please !

This can show Approximately number of wz players. :)

& last one : Will be a some statistic showen on the main site.... for exemple how much games created, Playing in current time, Best players,....  somethig like that. :)

Thanks

DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Terminator wrote: Sorry for my stupid but CAN I join to that game which will be showen in the gameslist ?

anyway WRP I'm Beging you !please ! Add this MP feature in next release. Please ! Please ! Please !
It is already to the 2.0 branch in r1155. If there will be a 2.0.7, it will use the new (instead of the old one it tries to use now) masterserver.
Terminator wrote: This can show Approximately number of wz players. :)

& last one : Will be a some statistic showen on the main site.... for exemple how much games created, Playing in current time, Best players,....  somethig like that. :)
Maybe Kamaze can write some small PHP script which queries the masterserver once per hour and displays the result on a dedicated page. But then that would afaik not be very usefull, since the game will get removed from the masterserver as soon as it is started (all users have joined and the host clicked the start button). I may be wrong about this, though.

Edit: (Giel) fixed a missing quote tag
Last edited by Giel on 03 May 2007, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

DevUrandom wrote: It is already to the 2.0 branch in r1155
Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! Yes !  :D :)

Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

DevUrandom wrote: Maybe Kamaze can write some small PHP script which queries the masterserver once per hour and displays the result on a dedicated page. But then that would afaik not be very usefull, since the game will get removed from the masterserver as soon as it is started (all users have joined and the host clicked the start button). I may be wrong about this, though.
Yes, the game gets removed from the list as soon as it has been started. Apart from that I don't think a PHP script would be feasible since the list of games is only stored in memory in the master server, so that server would have to output statistics on its own.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh