Roleplay: Warzone 2108

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
HEXUS
Trained
Trained

Roleplay: Warzone 2108

Post by HEXUS »

I don't know how receptive this forum is to Roleplaying and Stories, but I myself find it a fun and creative passtime. My idea is a roleplay called WarZone 2108. Obvious due to the title, it takes place 8 years after the Warzone we all know and love. And, throwing my own idea in there, I'm creating my own faction. Anyone that wants to partake is free to do the same.
UPDATED AS PEOPLE JOIN
Users:
The Project: N/A
New Paradigm: N/A
NEXUS: N/A
Scavengers: N/A

Now, for my faction, which I call The Core. It uses Mechs from my mech mod sence I love mechs, as well as a plethora of tanks and such. They have a preference of energy weapons over all the weapons. Their relations:
The Project: Allied
New Paradigm: Situational
NEXUS: Enemies
Scavengers: Situational

You can play as any character in the organisation you're playing, and more than one person can play per organisation. For example, my character is a field commander.

Take this with a grain of salt please, I don't know how you guys are on these kind of things.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: Roleplay: Warzone 2108

Post by JDW »

Woah, you're on a roll. It would be an interesting mod to play, no doubt. :)
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
HEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by HEXUS »

Mod? Um.......wrong thread, dude. I meant it as, a story written by multiple people, each controlling a different character. It's writing. Given there wasn't a "fiction" part of the forum, I figured I'd go the the next logical thread; Artwork (writing is a form of art, isn't it!?!) As I said, I don't know if anyone on the board likes that kind of thing apart from myself, but...
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

HEXUS wrote:Mod? Um.......wrong thread, dude. I meant it as, a story written by multiple people, each controlling a different character. It's writing. Given there wasn't a "fiction" part of the forum, I figured I'd go the the next logical thread; Artwork (writing is a form of art, isn't it!?!) As I said, I don't know if anyone on the board likes that kind of thing apart from myself, but...
well, it is a mod of sorts, a mod for the mind. i get it. as well as rman, i think. carry on. looking forward to it. :3

perhaps whoever is in charge could make a new forum topic header for stories, yes/no/maybe??? :)
HEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by HEXUS »

Well, would either of you want to partake? There are plenty of open spots.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

HEXUS wrote:Mod? Um.......wrong thread, dude. I meant it as, a story written by multiple people, each controlling a different character. It's writing. Given there wasn't a "fiction" part of the forum, I figured I'd go the the next logical thread; Artwork (writing is a form of art, isn't it!?!) As I said, I don't know if anyone on the board likes that kind of thing apart from myself, but...
lav_coyote25 wrote:well, it is a mod of sorts, a mod for the mind. i get it. as well as rman, i think. carry on. looking forward to it. :3

perhaps whoever is in charge could make a new forum topic header for stories, yes/no/maybe??? :)
I heard the call of the Rman. I respond. :)

A strong case can be made for story as the primordial and über art. Without it there would be no personal identity or culture or civilization as we know it.

Forum RPGs have a long and fun history in the WZ 2100 community of the past beginning with Pumpkin's own Official forums for the retail release of the game back in 1999. There were 2 different ones in that first community which ran for several months with 100's of contributions to each; grand fun & even some of the Pumpkin Team participated. The tradition continued clear through the RTS.net WZ community - and that is also were it ended 5 years ago.
HEXUS wrote:Take this with a grain of salt please, I don't know how you guys are on these kind of things.
Dunno the answer to that question. Do know there are folks here who can write fiction. But it takes a certain creative & jazzy spirit of fun to get into this type construct because it's strongly improvisational, spontaneous and collaborative at the same time - well, very much like a Jazz Ensemble of Musicians, just with words instead of musical riffs, etc.. To extend the music analogy - I've met many a fine classically trained musician who are incapable of playing jazz...

Since you are the originator here, my suggestion is you create the first fictional installment and see if any of the folks around who can write story are inclined (and up to the challenge) of fictionally riffing off that first installment and then running with it from there. The sky's the limit if you got it goin' on, creatively speaking. That's how we started it off in the past communities, including the first WZ Forum RPG in Pumpkin's Official BB for Retail WZ 2100 which ran for 3-4 months and some 300 hundred fictional installments. :D As far as creative fun, IMHO, that WZ Forum RPG was second only to all the new stuff we came up with back in 1999 that was not part of the Retail WZ 2100 game release but has been ever since. ;)
HEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by HEXUS »

That sounds like an idea, I'll work on that.
If you can't tell, I liek to write.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

HEXUS wrote:That sounds like an idea, I'll work on that.
If you can't tell, I liek to write.
Yup, I can tell. :) And me too.

Got a full plate of RL projects these days... but... I can always find some time to participate in a fun forum RPG. XD

HEXUS
Trained
Trained

Re: Roleplay: Warzone 2108 (story for now)

Post by HEXUS »

PROLOGUE:

A young commander named Ethan sat in his vehicle, perched on the roof of a ruined building. The radio was buzzing in his ear.
"Medics needed at sector two, we're getting overrun!"
"Ground units, pull back, get some air cover in here, fry those SOB's!" The Project commander said.
"Project, this is Core transmitting, do I move to intercept, over?" Ethan said.
"Core, this is Project, recieving, roger that, move to zap those NEXUS creeps, we're getting busted up pretty bad..." Said the Project commander, coming in with some static through Ethan's helmet.
"Alright, Anaconda squad, tighten up and form on me!" Ethan said, firing his mech's jets. The mech was armed with a Medium Laser and a Short Range Missile pod. As he cleared the skyline of the city, his mech touched down on the ground. In front of him, a field of flaming and broken vehicles lay scattered across the dirt from the hill leading to the city. These Project soldiers, if there was a good quality about them, they held out to the end. The hill was cloaked smoke, and the NEXUS units had some form of ECM, cloaking them on most conventional sensors. Suddenly, a Pulse Laser blast shot from inside the smoke, missing Ethan's mech by about a foot. Ethan instantly fired his laser at the spot where the smoke was parted, and sure enough, a large fireball blew away a nice chunk of the smoke momentairily. This was when Ethan realized how much trouble they were in. Through this part, he saw a vertible army of NEXUS combat craft.
"Uh, Project, this is Core transmitting, we need to get the hell out of here, we're outgunned."
"Project recieving, why is that, we're doing well, we're winning, aren't we?" The Project commander asked.
"No, NEXUS is toying with us. I just saw a huge number of heavily armed units when the smoke parted from the explosion." Ethan explained, throwing comms protocol to the wind.
"Crap. All Project units, we can't hold NEXUS back, the Core commander tells us that they're feinting us. All units, pull back. Begin evac proceedures for the citizens, we can't do anything more!" The Project commander said. He too threw comms protocol to the wind in light of the situation. It was then that NEXUS, noticing they were beginning to evac and pull out, decided to launch his attack. From the smoke came what seemed like thousands of NEXUS hovercraft. Ethan opened fire.
"Project, they're on to us, they're giving up the feint and launching their attack!" Ethan said, firing his missile pod. The scattering missiles took out several hovercraft, and more crashed into the downed ones, exploding as well. It would have been funny if the situation wasn't so badly against them. His squadmates were firing as well. But it seemed like for every hovercraft they blew up, two more came. And they were firing back, too. Luckily, most of the hovercraft were hitting the buildings. Or, less luckily, the Project Battle Cobra medium tanks lined up along the edge of the city, helping out the Core mechs.
"Alright, we got the citizens in the transports, pull back!" The Project commander said, and they reversed. The Battle Cobras were rolling backward, still firing, and the Core mechs started walking backward, also still firing. By the time they got to the transports, all the mechs were out of missiles. They took off and barely got away. Ethan moved his mech into the bay and opened the cockpit, powering it down. He stepped out onto the hydraulic lift, which carried him down to the floor of the spacious transport. The Project commander, who's name was Tyrus, was waiting at the bottom of the lift.
"That was great work, Commander Veres! We would have been slaughtered without you guys. In fact, I think I'll put you in to Core Command for a medal, you sure have earned it!" Tyrus said.
"Likewise. You're a skilled commander, you prevented several costly mistakes and commanded your troops flawlessly. We make a good team." Ethan said, rubbing his shoulder.
"You ok?" Tyrus asked.
"Yeah, I'm fine, the harnass just buckled eariler and jerked on my shoulders really hard; that landing wasn't as smooth as I would have liked." Ethan said. He noticed one of the Battle Cobras. It had had it's turret blown off it's powered hing, but somehow, the body of the tank survived without a scratch. The crew were standing outside it, uninjured, but pretty freaked out. As he walked toward the transit lounge he overheard one of them saying:
"-ou seriously kidding? Another foot down and we would be dead right now!" This reminded Ethan of that near hit laser blast. The lounge door opened, and he sat down in the back row, reclined the chair he was sitting in as far as it would go. He closed his eyes, and was asleep within a matter of minutes.
nodakbison2010
Greenhorn

Post by nodakbison2010 »

You forgot the collective group...
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

nodakbison2010 wrote:You forgot the collective group...
he aint got there yet. :annoyed:
HEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by HEXUS »

CHAPTER 1: THE PARADIGM
The transport landed at Beta base. They got all the vehicles off the transport, including Ethan's, which he had to pilot off, because obviously the hauler couldn't tow it off. He shut it down in the Mech Hangar in the Core section of the base. He walked into the Core Command Center, and met up with his commanding officer.
"Ah, Ethan, I see you made it back in one piece. I hate to do this to you, but we have to send you right back out. We intercepted this message from the New Paradigm:" The commander said, pulling up the transmission on the large data hub in the room.
"This is the New Paradigm requesting assistance from anyone listening. Under heavy attack by NEXUS forces at sector 83-12-0. Repeat, under heavy attack by NEXUS forces at sector 83-12-0.
Message ends."
"So let me get this straight. You want ME. To go out to some god-forsaken sector. And help. The NEW FRICKIN' PARADIGM!?! THOSE ****ERS HAVE TRIED TO KILL ME MORE TIMES THEN I HAVE FINGERS AND TOES TO COUNT!!!!" Ethan roared.
"Now, I know you don't like it. Quite frankly, I don't either. But this order came from all the way up at the top. High Command itself. And we all know that is an order you DO. NOT. DISOBEY. I have given you authorization to take a Chimera mech out for this mission, just in case the New Paradigm don't take too kindly to the fact that we're the ones saving their cheap asses. Along with Anaconda squad, I'm also sending out a coloum of Bulldog tanks to help you. You know, the big brother of the Bullpup? Anyway, dispatch now, before NEXUS wipes them out!" The officer said.
"Yessir..." Ethan grumbled, like a child who had just been scolded. He walked to the Mech Hangar and picked up his Chimera for this mission. It was a Large mech, with a Heavy Laser in each arm and a Light Laser burried in both side of the body. He got onto the lift and hit the up button. It carried him to the top, and the open, waiting cockpit. He sat down. From over the dashboard he could see his squadmates scrambling to their mechs as well. He grinned and pressed the SEAL button. The cockpit came down, and with a pnumatic hiss, sealed in said position. He began the powerup process and within a matter of minutes, the mech was online and the reactor was purring. He opened the throttle enough to get the mech walking, and steered it out to the waiting transport. He walked it up the ramp and into the gantry spot. He powered it down and exited it. It was locked into place, and his squadmates did the same not long after. The transport took off. The squad of five walked into the lounge area and sat down. Ethan looked out the window, but all he saw were dark stormclouds. After about half an hour the pilot came on over the intercom.
"ETA to drop zone is 10 minutes, you guys should get to your mechs and get ready to roll." The pilot said. They rose from their seats and walked into the hangar area. Ethan was the first to get to his space and get up to his mech. He got in and began the powerup process again. He was also the first one to get powered up all the way. He walked to the door and waited. Even though he was sitting in the cockpit of a mech that weighted quite a bit, he felt the shuttle shake when it landed. The door slid open and the ramp extended. He accelerated out into a warzone. Cannonfire and missiles created flashes and streaks of light, assisted by the occasional laser blast.
"Alright people, this is it! Move it out!" Ethan said, opening up the throttle all the way. He oppened a channel with the New Paradigm.
"This is Core hailing New Paradigm, we are here to assist you. Acknowledge or we're leaving." Ethan said. There was static for a second.
"New Paradigm to Core. We accept your assistance. All Paradigm units, do not fire on Core units. They are here to assist us against NEXUS. Message ends." Came the response. Ethan got to the front entrance. The hardpoints were wrecked, as well as both bunkers and the two emplacements. As he cleared the ramp, he was faced with a maelstrom. He targeted the nearest NEXUS tank, and fired his Light Lasers. It exploded. However, with that, a a few NEXUS tanks now had his number. Railgun shots hit his armour, leaving nasty dents. He fired again, dedicating one laser to each tank. He had them as smouldering ashes in notime. They spread out and kept eradicating the NEXUS tanks and hovercraft, as well as the occasional VTOL stupid enough to poke in. The battle took a while, but they made it through without any mech casualties. However, they did loose 2 Bulldogs to VTOL attacks, as they set up outside the base on a plateau to give support fire. After the battle, they called the transport back. While waiting for it, they got a transmission:
"The New Paradigm thanks you for your assistance in out time of need. We have some information that you may find interesting, we will send it to your High Command. Message ends."
Ethan got a smirk at that one.
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

Nothing against Roleplay here, but this thread would be best suited in the General Discussion section, because development section and artwork has to do with Development of the game, new features, reworked stuff; and Artwork under Development is for Game Imagery.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

Commander Ryan stepped out from his chair and stared out his window... from his high position in the HQ building of the Black Dawn Central command, he saw plumes of smoke from a nearby New Paradigm base.

He drew back heavily on his cigarette and tossed a bottle of pre-collapse era wine to the floor. he new something was up, some one had attacked his ally, and he would not rest until vengeance was gained.

he turned his back on the window and brought up a holo-screen, he carefully watched the security footage again and again...
he saw numerous Nexus hover vehicles... and strange, towering behemoths of power, a mere handful taking on Nexus's mighty attack force. This was a threat he could not abide.

"colonel... ready your men, and have experiment gamma ready for launch..."
HEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by HEXUS »

Heeey guys, sorry for being away for so long, stuff came up. But I intend to be much more active from here out. I'll edit the first post with the Black Dawn organisation, and I'll edit THIS post with more story in a lil' bit. Now, Roux, I do request a little more info on this Black Dawn, such as who their allies and enemies are, what technologies (if any) are unique to them, ect. I need to update The Core with the same info. This helps with keeping things linear, if anyone is curious.