Vote on the new textures!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.

I prefer:

MaNGusT's textures (explain why)
50%
Gerard's textures (explain why)
18%
some of each (explain which ones, and why)
27%
no opinion
5%

Total votes: 56

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Vote on the new textures!

Post by aubergine »

Bit late to this thread, but here's my $0.02 anyway...

I think Gerard's textures look nicer - they'd be more compelling to people who've never played WZ to give it a try.

However, during gameplay whatever conveys the terrain best is better. Eg. I saw the post regarding cliffs that don't look like cliffs and navigable land that doesn't look navigable.

So I'd probably plump for something mid way between Gerard and MaNGusT.

My only fear is that making the game look nicer delays fixes to the VTOL bugs. Also, if the terrain textures are improved, will units/buildings start to look ugly and thus they too will need updating?

EDIT: MaNGusT's textures do look more realistic though - I think what threw me is that the current building textures look a bit pants. If building textures were updated (maybe also with semi-transparent foundations) MaNGusT's textures would probably be a clear winner.

Some of the best textures I've seen are those in the game Stronghold 2 by Firefly Studios. That game also had a rather good map editor which I spend many a happy hour in making very tasty maps. In particular they had some spectacular water effects (waves, waterfalls, etc) and the ability to add sound effects to the map (eg. birds chirping in a forest, wind howling near cliffs, etc).
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Here are some corner pieces which line up seamlessly with the straight cliff texture if used correctly.
Oh and I release all three textures as CC0 in case you were wondering ;)
Attachments
cliff1_convex2.png
cliff1_concave2.png
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

lovely! :) i hope mangust uses these
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Voting is done.
Textures are completed. :3
Expect a build soon with the new changes that MaNGusT made.
and it ends here.