Vote on the new textures!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.

I prefer:

MaNGusT's textures (explain why)
50%
Gerard's textures (explain why)
18%
some of each (explain which ones, and why)
27%
no opinion
5%

Total votes: 56

Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Re: Vote on the new textures!

Post by Tenoh »

I vote for gerard,his stuff looks more pleasing to the eye.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
yamar
Trained
Trained

Post by yamar »

I like Gerard's textures, because they seem more life-like and more like what would be in a modern game. Besides, all games are dark or brown lately, break the mold people! :D
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

I like MaNGusT's mountain textures better, though Gerard's have a nice amount of patterning that I miss with MaNGusT's versions. I love the stone tiles that Gerard made (as seen in the player's base in the screenshots at the top of the thread), much more then the bland rock that MaNGusT has, but in other spots (like the campaign) it looks like Gerard's textures are too uniform while MaNGusT's provide some nice varying terrain.

So, there's no clear "better" version. I'd suggest joining their efforts to get the best of each into a single awesome texture pack.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I like mangust's textures the best because they convey all the misty, cold feeling of a mountain. Gerard's textures seem a bit too colorful and out of scale. Concrete looks like steel plate scraps distributed all over the floor in a distracting, self-contrasting pattern, and that's what I like the least.

Apart from that, I intuitively feel that Mangust's textures are already imbued with the whole feeling of AR - seriously. It looks like it's ready to accomodate what's being brewed in the revolution labs 8)

~Olrox
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

as for me, I always thought that Gerards's textures were used only for testing the new terrain engine. They aren't stylish, out of scale, don't fit the warzone's theme and... they are photos. Photos are good for a FPS games like Counter-Strike and etc. but not for a futuristic post-apocalyptic RTS.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Just curious:

Is it possible to include both texture sets in the game, and allow the user to switch between them? Is it possible to include both the old renderer and the new renderer? Do custom tiles make any sense with the new renderer? Or, well, will it be possible to use an arbitrary bitmap as a map texture? Will it be possible to use tiles from different tile sets in one map (eg. mixing arizona with rockies on a single map?)?
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

hao wrote:Is it possible to include both texture sets in the game, and allow the user to switch between them?
It is, but it would be a waste of space.
hao wrote:Is it possible to include both the old renderer and the new renderer?
It is, but devs don't want to do it.
hao wrote:Will it be possible to use tiles from different tile sets in one map (eg. mixing arizona with rockies on a single map?)?
Good idea...
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I'm wondering about the same thing really, having gerard's textures as an extra tileset for mapmakers to choose from would be nice.
Does anyone know about what it would take to do that?
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I agree with mangust gerards textures don't exactly "fit" the game but I still thing his water just needs to be a bit murkier. Mangusts water looks flat on the terrain not like real water.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

macuser wrote:I agree with mangust gerards textures don't exactly "fit" the game but I still thing his water just needs to be a bit murkier. Mangusts water looks flat on the terrain not like real water.
Yeah, the only thing I dislike about ManGust's is the water.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

macuser wrote:I agree with mangust gerards textures don't exactly "fit" the game but I still thing his water just needs to be a bit murkier. Mangusts water looks flat on the terrain not like real water.
Sorry, I don't see the way how to get water that looks better without changes in the code. It should have at least one more extra texture (foam) near the shore with separate animation, it needs a new animation to the regular water texture, it probably needs in some kinds of shaders.

Yeah, I know, my water texture is shitty but do you really think that Gerard's texture is so much better than mine? as I said before in the ticket - I've created the new water texture only because its animation is not so annoying for me.
marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Post by marsbound2024 »

It will be quite difficult to get much better water textures with the existing game engine. I do think that water should be semi-transparent to show depth, but it shouldn't be overly blue. Water is typically a dull blue or brown. Also, to help accent the water, I think the ground texture underneath should be sandy, not the same ground texture that is on the land surrounding the water. It doesn't seem realistic to see the same rubble terrain under the water as it would on land. A little is fine, but not anything oversaturated.
marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Post by marsbound2024 »

Sorry to double post, but after reviewing MaNGust's textures in other threads, I have to say I really love them. The water can stand to be improved upon, but that can be worked on. Please reference my previous post for my comments on that.

I think MaNGust's textures reflect the atmosphere of Warzone 2100 better. I do think that both artists did a great job, however.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

I have externalized most all the hard-coded values, so now, you can edit the files instead of having to recompile the source.

I just need someone to fix up the textures, as has been discussed here, and then modify said files in the ticket (with tileset.zip), and I will put them in ASAP, and we will be a step closer to releasing this.
and it ends here.
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

I mixed and changed some for Nexus Total War (Beta 2).
NTW_beta2-1.PNG
NTW_beta2-2.PNG
NTW_beta2-3.PNG
Last edited by Delphinio on 30 Sep 2010, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.