The Warzone OS

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Nameless
Trained
Trained

The Warzone OS

Post by Nameless »

Okay, so after realizing I won't be able mod WZ as I wanted to (aka blender is too awesome for my computer) but being on a linux box. I came with the idea of developing a linux-based "Warzone OS" based off a stripped-down version of the linux OS; PCLinuxOS Zen-Mini 2009 and PCLinuxOS Zen-Mini 2010.

Am need in of suggestions, wallpapers, programs used to mod WZ (alpha versions; okay just as long as it compiles or runs under wine), war zone like icons, themes, etc. Those of you use Pclos.. here's your time to shine. :D :D :D

(Especially concerning the whole issue of using read-only livecds).

If you're wondering why would someone would try and do this? My question is; why not?

-Nameless
If you're reading this; you're awesome.
Christheturtle
Trained
Trained

Re: The Warzone OS

Post by Christheturtle »

Just to clarify, you are looking to work on this yourself right? Because it's something the developers would find impossible to fit into their already crammed schedules.
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

Christheturtle wrote:Just to clarify, you are looking to work on this yourself right? Because it's something the developers would find impossible to fit into their already crammed schedules.
Oh yeah, my bad; it *IS* gonna to be something I'm working on. I originally got the idea from a friend of mine who used to carry around a usb-stick that was formatted and altered to work a work as live live-cd.

If you have any suggestions.. *hint hint*..
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

Just so you know this is the kind of thing 'm basically trying to accomplish, but with the intention of using it as an "independent platform" that contains all or most of this communities software projects that are part of WZ, including WZ of course!

http://www.pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200811/page03.html

Software-wise; I have the following list going;

GIMP - Image editor
Blender - 3d Modeling program,
Firefox (May be replaced by Chrome)
Inkscape - For any vector-based graphic editing,
flaMe,
WZ 2.3.0
WZ 2.2.4
WZ Current Trunk
wine
gedit (a code editor)
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

Post by XHero_of_ChaosX »

Very nice. I wouldnt mind trying it out once its done, or at least any Betas that you might have. :)
What is at a peak is certain to decline. He who shows his hand will surely be defeated. He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible. ~Cão Cão
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

XHero_of_ChaosX wrote:Very nice. I wouldnt mind trying it out once its done, or at least any Betas that you might have. :)
Almost there :)

Just need to add v2,2.4, and a current trunk version.. and am thinking of adding the entire collection of add-ons that we have going on in under add-on section.

But what I really want/need is a map editor. Got any ideas? (It has to be either linux compatible or can be under wine).

So far the Warzone OS has;

gimp,
inkscape,
warzone 2.3,0,
blender,
wine,
gedit.

and its been "optimized" as follows (taken directly from the kernel description);

"i686 linux kernel with the BFS scheduler
This kernel package contains the Linux 2.6.33.4-pclos1.bfs kernel patched with the BFS scheduler from Con Kolivas. It is optimised for i686 CPUs, supports up to 4GB of system memory (highmem enabled). The kernel timer interrupt is set to 1000 HZ, it defaults to using the 'BFS' scheduler, 'SMP' is enabled and is compiled with kernel preemption enabled."
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Nameless; if you install I think it was Mobo or something along with another package I don't remember (check the flaME topic) you can get flaME to run almost flawlessly.
Bring back...ducks!
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

Mobo? Never 'hurd of it. What does it do exactly?

EDIT: Oh wait! Nev'mind; don't you mean "mono"? I just found it and it appears it'll be the thing to run the .net framework that flaMe uses.
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Mono, whatever :P
Bring back...ducks!
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

Post by XHero_of_ChaosX »

Nameless wrote:
XHero_of_ChaosX wrote:Very nice. I wouldnt mind trying it out once its done, or at least any Betas that you might have. :)
Almost there :)

Just need to add v2,2.4, and a current trunk version.. and am thinking of adding the entire collection of add-ons that we have going on in under add-on section.

But what I really want/need is a map editor. Got any ideas? (It has to be either linux compatible or can be under wine).

So far the Warzone OS has;

gimp,
inkscape,
warzone 2.3,0,
blender,
wine,
gedit.

and its been "optimized" as follows (taken directly from the kernel description);

"i686 linux kernel with the BFS scheduler
This kernel package contains the Linux 2.6.33.4-pclos1.bfs kernel patched with the BFS scheduler from Con Kolivas. It is optimised for i686 CPUs, supports up to 4GB of system memory (highmem enabled). The kernel timer interrupt is set to 1000 HZ, it defaults to using the 'BFS' scheduler, 'SMP' is enabled and is compiled with kernel preemption enabled."
awesome. :) just hit me up sometime when its done. :D
What is at a peak is certain to decline. He who shows his hand will surely be defeated. He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible. ~Cão Cão
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

One small glitch.

How shall I distribute said alphas or betas? FTP torrent file, snail-mail(lol)? I'm open to suggestions :D
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

New SourceForge project?
Bring back...ducks!
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

BlueMaxima wrote:New SourceForge project?
:shock: :shock:

Interesting suggestion... Have any idea how it works? Or how the "Resurrection Project" uses it?

Reading their "Create Project" page, I'm a bit confused on how it actually operates. (This is your queue WZ developers, haha).
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

I do actually, what do you need to know?
Bring back...ducks!
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Maybe these links can be of help to you,

How to Start an Open Source Project With SourceForge

How does one start a SourceForge Project and get volunteers to help?

I think what you're planning is something similar to the boot n' play linuX-gamers.net live DVD. For more details on that project , have a look at this. Warzone OS would be cool. Don't forget about licensing compatibilities with the GPL if you're planning to distribute your work though.. :wink:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce