Warzone 2100 vs. Warzone Resurrection?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
brian
New user

Warzone 2100 vs. Warzone Resurrection?

Post by brian »

Hey all,

I've been following this game since the source was released.  Originally, the porting and development was simply called "Warzone 2100" (same as the commercial game).  The last version available is 0.2.2 and has it's own Sourceforge page: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=142032
Now, we seem to have "Warzone Resurrection" available here, with the most recent version being 2.0.4.
To further complicate things, it seems one of the leads is working on both projects (rodzilla) - http://sourceforge.net/users/rodzilla/ and https://gna.org/users/rodzilla

So, the big question: is the sourceforge page abandoned?  Is the name now "Warzone Resurrection", or are there two projects working on doing development, and strangely being worked on by some of the same people?  Which one should I be installing?
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 vs. Warzone Resurrection?

Post by Kamaze »

It's a bit weired... :S

This is -afaik- the only development project on the "original" Warzone2100 game. The others are stopped.
And the sf.net page isn't changed, because there is no one available who has access to it.

(Thats what i know...)

But Devurandom or Suprano can tell you more :)
Last edited by Kamaze on 26 Aug 2006, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

To clear things up:
This (http://gna.org/projects/warzone) is the one and only active project.
SourceForge and BerliOS have been abandoned since a while. (SF longer BerliOS not so long.)
I can't close the other projects because I am not a maintainer for either one of them. I think RodZilla is the only one who could, but he is very busy with RL since long.

The name of the game is "Warzone 2100" and the team working on it is called "Warzone Resurrection Project".
brian
New user

Post by brian »

I see.  Thank you for clearing this up for me :)
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

I'm sorry for upping this topic, but I do have some comments about all the other warzone websites.
Just image you don't know wz2100.net, and you search google for "warzone 2100", "download warzone 2100" or something similar. What's the chance that you end up at this "official" website? I've got to admit, the google ranking is fairly high (4th result when searching for "warzone 2100"), but there are just too many old projects pages and unmaintained websites online.
It's very confusing, especially for beginners. In my opinion, we should try to centralize as much information as possible on this website.
I'm aware at the fact that it's impossible to shut all websites down, that would be ridiculous. But I think we should try to delete the old and unused project pages as much as possible, and place links to this website... Because at the moment, everything is way too chaotic, and it's the best for everybody, especially for the people who just PLAY the game, to have 1 website.

That's my opinion, tell me what you think  ;)
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

yes imo the old ones are confusing,esp the sourceforge one,maybe someone who has the admin access of those 'dead' project sites should leave a message/news like 'we are moved to wz2100.net'.currently sourceforge site makes an image of 'this project is died'...
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

well, it'd be nice if there was some priority towards putting some banner at the top of the page, that says "WE'VE MOVED to ...", or if not that, in the case of a forum, a sticky announcement all in caps (or some other way to keep it visible to anyone new or old alike) -- i was going on for at least 6 months at rts.net thinking it was the newest resource for discussion.
Solitaire
Trained
Trained

Post by Solitaire »

Agreed. It took me (IMHO) far too long to find the latest set of forums (although I have been fairly busy with RL lately), there should be some redirect messages/banners stuck up on the sites that we can't close down.