Dylan's handbook

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Re: Dylan's Professional Handbook

Post by Carme Taika »

Dylan Hsu wrote:
The Diplomacy Menu
(mapped to Numpad Enter / Return by default)
  • To have your default chat send only to your allies, open the Diplomacy menu and deselect your opponents' comm channels.
  • To send units to your allies, select the units, open the Diplomacy menu, then click the tank icon next to that ally.
  • To send some power to your allies, open the Diplomacy Menu, then click the bolt next to that ally.
I KNEW This was a feature! Why isn't this listed in the Game guide?!
This is very important to know!
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Carme Taika wrote: I KNEW This was a feature! Why isn't this listed in the Game guide?!
This is very important to know!
Yep, that's true - it should be added to the guide.

~Olrox
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I believe it already is?

In 2.3, it can be accessed in the Intelligence menu, too, so there's really no need to mess with the Num-Enter thing, which like no one ever finds.
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

Duhh which is why I only just found out by Reading Dylan's Handbook.. >.>
Misthafalls
Trained
Trained

Post by Misthafalls »

Dylan Hsu wrote:
The Diplomacy Menu
(mapped to Numpad Enter / Return by default)
To have your default chat send only to your allies, open the Diplomacy menu and deselect your opponents' comm channels...
Offcourse you can always type the beginning of your chat message with '.' (dot, point) this also sends it only to allies ;)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I guess we could use a more developed page for multiplayer in the guide. The guide should be improved and made more accessible.

Hmm, I'll leave for the future (and to the dicretion of luck of having free time and inspiration together) plans for making and improved tutorial... That would be amazing, I'm sure.

~Olrox
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Not really a professional handbook. You need to be making money doing something to be a professional and this guide has got nothing about how to make money with Warzone by playing professionally.
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
SoS-ELITE
Greenhorn

Post by SoS-ELITE »

You guys have a few good points, but are lacking a few things. I've played this game from the demo 12 or so years ago. Defense is powerful but overrated in a fast game. In an open map, defense is not the way to go. If you can research hc mantis hover/tracks with power upgrades and cannon upgrades fast enough, you will win every time. A person does not have enough time in 20 minutes to make an effective defense against 30/40 hc tanks. The only downside to hc is they aren't very good against defense, but the time and power it takes to make lancer/hc hardpoints takes too much time to be worth it in a short game. Tank rush the most vulnerable point, as fast as you can, keep up tech, and conserve power in case you need defense later.
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

When was the last time you played? 1.10??? HCMH is a terrible tank now, and only used for arty bait.

Lancers aren't even worth anything in beta 11...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

icefire wrote:When was the last time you played? 1.10??? HCMH is a terrible tank now, and only used for arty bait.

Lancers aren't even worth anything in beta 11...
I GET IT BETA 11 IS UNBALANCED STOP RUBBING IT IN :(

Seriously, it wasn't intended to be balanced in the first place. <_< I didn't have time to do full testing, so I just buffed cannons a lot and hoped it would be better.
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

wha??? Zarel don't beat yourself up. Cannons needed a fix :)

Because of the cannon buff it's no longer mg spam -> lancer -> ripple turtle war.

This current one may be unbalanced but it's still A LOT better than what it used to be
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Ok, here's what I think:
Dylan Hsu didn't write any pre-made strategy (I myself prefer to keep distance from them and usually just play with my friends because they don't use any of those "recipes" - there's no point in playing like that as the game reduces it depth so much when you do that), which is a definetely excellent thing IMO. Then some people think that it's missing from his "handbook" - wrong.

Even if he wished to write pre-made strategies and fast-win recipes, he'd need to redo that every new version because of the balance changes. He himself said that he wanted to give an overall background for people to play in a more intense way. This can be appreciated (but I still can't stand his attitude, which is really childish IMHO).

Anyway, balance shouldn't even be mentioned here, and I think Dylan would've included his own opinion on "what's the best weapon to race for" if he wished to enter in this aspect with his "handbook". Zarel is probably very stressed already (with good reasons - obvious for anyone who looks at all the forum's boards and posts) with people whining about cannons, or even people whining because the developers make balance mistakes sometimes. What I think about those people doesn't matter to conlcude my opinion of what's going on:

Dylan wished an general overview of what he thinks players should do to start trying to play better. Some people think that "best weapons to race for" fits here (really doesn't, I think), and this guy mentions an outdated strategy to make things worse. When icefire explained that, saying that cannons are overpowered now so that's the best go if you want to take advantage of the balance issues, Zarel probably thought of all those people complaining about that, and let out a "please stop".

No big deal IMO, just a somewhat inconvenient "combo". I'll now do my part and help keep the topic on the line :)

~Olrox
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yeah, what Olrox said.

The main thing to get out of this is:

If there is a single "best weapon" to race for, then my job as a balancer isn't done, and that weapon probably won't be the best weapon to race for in the next version.

Furthermore, it's really rather extremely silly to make balance recommendations based on a beta version. Especially 2.3 beta 11a, the first and last time I'll ever introduce experimental changes into a released version of Warzone, and also one of the few times this state of balance will last for exactly one version.

(If you're wondering about my new rank, I'm switching between "Artist" and "Developer" since I'm both, and this is kinda fun.)
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

the first and last time I'll ever introduce experimental changes into a released version of Warzone
Why is that? It is a beta release after all.
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

I disagree with your "no experimental changes" for releases. This change has probably gotten more gameplay testing than any other 'experimental' balance you've made. Sure it might be rough to ride out all the jerks that complain (me) but in the end you have a wider array of opinions and advice to make it better. You just need to make sure the ones you listen to actually know what they're saying :P

also this is straying off topic