wha tha no sexy ?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: wha tha no sexy ?

Post by Watermelon »

whippersnapper wrote: thats some funny chit. :D theres a mix here of funny and serious. heyokas have some Trickster in them which in Native American culture is revered and is also associated with the animal we call coyote.

heyoka is not a job or vocation. heyoka is a calling like having the irresistable inclination to be an artist rather than a cashier at the grocery store. in Native culture callings have absolutely nothing to do with money. in fact trying to make money from a spiritual calling is strictly taboo. in fact those who exploit Native Spiritual traditions for personal monetary gain are universally denounced as charlatans.

heyokas create an occassion of laughter so as to reconsider conventional mental models or mind-sets in a non-threatening way. questioning the conventional wisdom, to use the economist John Kenneth Galbraiths super charged phrase, is risky business and can easily lead to resentment and alienation or the status of a pariah which imho is why most people choose not to rock the boat and just keep quiet and play it safe.

the heyokas way can be seen thru three western philosophys that amount to saying what if there is another way of understanding or looking at things that is as valid, or more useful. you have to have a genuine humility in your make up to even go there, seems to me, like in i donot know everything about anything nor will i ever even if i live hundreds of years with a fully functioning brain.

one western philosophy that comes to mind was presented by the 19th century German philosopher Hans Vaingher in his The Philosophy of "As If"

the second philosophy is of our time and its tireless champion is one Edward de Bono and he has called it Lateral Thinking

the third philosophy is that of Martin Buber, specifically as expressed in his masterwork I and Thou

anyway thats my 2 cents for what its worth and btw i am no authority on any of this nor do I speak for anyone else.  :o

Interesting,sounds like heyoka is sort of agnostic to me,though they prefer to express their opinions in a more friendly and joyful manner.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

when you say agnostic i think i know what you mean and there is some semblance.

still i hesitate to endorse the word because agnostic has latley become complicated and controvertial,  with many distinctions that are in conflict with each other.

let me put it within the plains indian tradition, the heart of which is Wakan tanka.

Wakan tanka translates as the Great Mystery. It is reverential, theistic, numenous, a sacred appellation.

it manisfests day to day as a respect for the identity of all entities, animate and the so called inanimate.

also important to this core belief is active stewardship in place of  property ownership which in turn is considered within the context of seven generations and not just conveniences or desires of the moment or the present generation. in other words societal decisions are made with complete  regard for the welfare of those not yet born - human and non-human. by contrast, mainstream culture STEALS from future generations in everyway imaginable way to make life a little easier today.

what i'm trying to make clear is that while there is belief founded on regard for the agnostic unknowable - there is also a prgamatic ethical code of values practiced day to day that harks to service over possession.

btw - these remarks are also  my interpretation of Heyoka's topic and poesy. i could be way off or dead-on the mark.
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Thanks for the explanation.

Seems they have alot in common with the Japanese Shinto,which recognizes everything whether living or non-living as an identity with spiritual essence and advocates to live in harmony with the nature,though Shinto is much concerned about the present generation,unlike the farsighted Heyoka.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

It's only the Heyoka who are far sighted? I thought it was the whole Wakan "religion"...
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

DevUrandom wrote: It's only the Heyoka who are far sighted? I thought it was the whole Wakan "religion"...
these values i mention are like our Ten Commandments - a code all honor naturally, not just heyokas. they have been passed down through the generations by oral tradition since B.C.E.

heyokas, through the laughter they inspire, help everyone keep the faith when times are especially tough or difficult - they relieve the strain and liberate us to an active optimism that can triumph over adversity. heyokas also provoke us to be sharper when we become dull or captives of taking our own bull chit way too seriously.  :o

this "religion" of ours has no organizing hierarchy, mediateing priesthood, written gospel, economic base or brick and mortar institutions like churches & temples. at the same time its core values parallel those of Western and Eastern traditions. it is this common ground upon which our leaders have met, under the auspices of the United Nations, with the leaders of other religious traditions to promote peace, planetary health and elevate the dispossessed across the globe for the better part of the last two generations.  :)
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

whippersnapper wrote: these values i mention are like our Ten Commandments - a code all honor naturally, not just heyokas. they have been passed down through the generations by oral tradition since B.C.E.

heyokas, through the laughter they inspire, help everyone keep the faith when times are especially tough or difficult - they relieve the strain and liberate us to an active optimism that can triumph over adversity. heyokas also provoke us to be sharper when we become dull or captives of taking our own bull chit way too seriously.  :o

this "religion" of ours has no organizing hierarchy, mediateing priesthood, written gospel, economic base or brick and mortar institutions like churches & temples. at the same time its core values parallel those of Western and Eastern traditions. it is this common ground upon which our leaders have met, under the auspices of the United Nations, with the leaders of other religious traditions to promote peace, planetary health and elevate the dispossessed across the globe for the better part of the last two generations.  :)
yea the world will be a better place with such virtue beliefs.

btw I think the Heyoka we have in this forum is a Heyoka Wakan by job/in reallife...
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Watermelon wrote: yea the world will be a better place with such virtue beliefs.

btw I think the Heyoka we have in this forum is a Heyoka Wakan by job/in reallife...
i think the recognition of global warming is inspiring a geniunely sobering, secular, fresh look at such native conservation beliefs. mitochondrial dna analysis places us on the north american continent 20 to 30 thousand years ago. up until 200-150 years ago our stewardship kept it a veritable paradise on earth. the old worlds ruthless exploitation of the americas, and the genocide of it's inhabitants, throughout the centuries long invasion saved all of europe (russia as well) from a catastrophic economic societal wide collapse that loomed in the 16th century and would have otherwise initiated yet another dark age even worse than the first one. there is much irony in this capsule history.

heyoka undoubtedly found his calling at an early age and has followed his path ever since. with a tribal income that has no strings attatched he is truely free to live his destiny without the mercenary constraints of a job as it is understood in the global economy.

forgive me if i've injected a far too serious subject in a game forum. when you think about it we do enjoy blowing stuff up but at least we do it in a virtual world and not RL. too bad more heads of state are not gamers or foot soldiers, maybe they wouldn't be so quick to send the offspring of others into avoidable battles.
Last edited by whippersnapper on 26 Feb 2007, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

Stormkeeper
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stormkeeper »

=/

Discussion getting serious here.

Well. Wish me good luck, cause I have a formal presentation soon, and my gmae project actually doesn't look too good.

On another note, also means my project will be over, and I can start playing wz again.
+[Unstoppable]+
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Stormkeeper wrote: =/

Discussion getting serious here.

Well. Wish me good luck, cause I have a formal presentation soon, and my gmae project actually doesn't look too good.

On another note, also means my project will be over, and I can start playing wz again.
I think everyone is free to express their opinions in a 'off-topic' forum as long as they are not offensive,and actually I found whippersnapper's posts are rather educational and informative than serious.

Anyways,good luck with your formal presentation.
cubanresourceful
Greenhorn

Post by cubanresourceful »

Sorry to spoil the seriousness here, but...what is this all about? I am so confused....
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

dont be confused... is just a free thinking tutorial....sortof... depends on how your looking at the overall gist.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.