FMVs

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
technojunkie
Greenhorn

FMVs

Post by technojunkie »

Forgive me if this has been covered, I didn't find what I'm looking for in the search.

Is it possible if I own the original CDs to copy the FMVs to use with the v2 game?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: FMVs

Post by DevUrandom »

No.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

And will not be.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Kamaze wrote: And will not be.
* Most said exactly the same thing for many years about liberating the source.

* Never say never - where there is an active, savvy, will often it can be made so and, of course, that is meant in a way that is legitimate and totally consistent with OSS protocols.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

At the moment we can't implement a player for the original *.rpl files.
And redistribute re-decoded ones will break the law.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Kamaze wrote: At the moment we can't implement a player for the original *.rpl files.
And redistribute re-decoded ones will break the law.
* I know, been aware of that since shortly after source liberation.

* But that can change... with legal permission to work the orginal FMV content - GFX, Text - (NOT to be confused with their .rpl format), and making re-coded ones (as .avi or whatever is best) that can use an OSS player - these conditions when met will not break the law. Which is what I meant, of course.

* I mention this only because it has been in process for several months - that is tracking the present ownership chain and approriate authority that can grant legal permission at this point. It is slow goiing to be sure but it is definitely in process and has yet to be officially ruled out of the question. Corporate orgs can be a twisted maze to navigate from without especially when there is a hostile take-over of one company by another in the way of assets aggregated and those not, in other words things can get pretty densely mixed and difficult to sort - that is only reason we have as of yet no definitive answer.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

ok thankyou ... we wait patiently as always... ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

By the way: What happened to that clarified "everything is GPL" text you wanted to ask Mr. McLean for? Did you succeed? Was there any positive (meaning: honestly interested and likely to be productive) reaction from him?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

DevUrandom wrote: By the way: What happened to that clarified "everything is GPL" text you wanted to ask Mr. McLean for? Did you succeed? Was there any positive (meaning: honestly interested and likely to be productive) reaction from him?
* Interesting, all the way around but let me stick strictly to the point.

* It cannot be an "everything is GPL" - my previous post, I thought,  stated the full context of why that is & where it all is presently:

* But that can change... with legal permission to work the original FMV content - GFX, Text - (NOT to be confused with their .rpl format), and making re-coded ones (as .avi or whatever is best) that can use an OSS player - these conditions when met will not break the law. Which is what I meant, of course.

* I mention this only because it has been in process for several months - that is tracking the present ownership chain and approriate authority that can grant legal permission at this point. It is slow goiing to be sure but it is definitely in process and has yet to be officially ruled out of the question. Corporate orgs can be a twisted maze to navigate from without especially when there is a hostile take-over of one company by another in the way of assets aggregated and those not, in other words things can get pretty densely mixed and difficult to sort - that is only reason we have as of yet no definitive answer.
* To elaborate a bit more - Alex, & the rest of the Pumpkins for that matter, have never lost interest in the fate of WZ - they spent years creating it from the ground up, it is still their "baby" all these years later. Simply, their time is prioritized to their 80 hour a week dev jobs and the little personal downtime left-over for their family, friends, & RR.... honestly leaving no real time to dedicate to running the corporate organnizational gauntlet tracking down legal ownership of the FMVs content - esp under the take-over maze-like circumstances mentioned. Btw, it is not in his power to make the GPL change decision or he would have long past. RW Corporate business is a whole different animal than OSS org ideals.

* Whether what is being done will be productive or successful, honestly remains to be seen and not possessing pre-cognitive faculties I can only say that the door is absolutely not closed to a positive end result. It is very much an act of faith as was the long road traveled to liberating the source.

* You all can certainly carry on however you all want or think best. This process does not require you all to do anything nor will it impact anything you all choose to do now or down the road really.

* So I guess that about covers it, unless you can think of something over-looked.
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 06 Feb 2007, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

I think he meant a clarification of the readme.txt in the original source archive with its unfortunate distinction of source and data, not the FMVs.
We want information... information... information.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

cybersphinx wrote: I think he meant a clarification of the readme.txt in the original source archive with its unfortunate distinction of source and data, not the FMVs.
* Oh shoot, too focused on those FMVs, forgot about that "data" language issue in the reademe.txt.

* Thanks for the clarification, cybersphinx.

* DevUrandom: I'll follow-up on this again, which is what I was supposed to do after the holidays. In proper answer to your question, this is something Alex can address, unlike the FMVs.

* Sorry for the confusion, my error.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

No problem, especially when looking at all those people who are thinking that the FMVs can easily be put under the GPL and it's just Pumpkin/Eidos who are bad-bad-people and don't want the gamers to be happy. I can fully understand Eidos decision to not liberate the FMVs...

What I am more interested in is what you think, from your conversations with him, whether Mr. McLean is interested in writing that small text (Remember, it doesn't have to be big. "Everything inside this archive is licensed under the terms of the GPL" is fully enough, if put into the same sourcecode archive released years ago.) and how you estimate the likelyness that he will do it in the near future. (So I want just an assessment from you. Probably not easy to understand, because of the detours I took to say this, which is caused by my bad language, which prevents me from saying it straight away...)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

DevUrandom wrote: No problem, especially when looking at all those people who are thinking that the FMVs can easily be put under the GPL and it's just Pumpkin/Eidos who are bad-bad-people and don't want the gamers to be happy. I can fully understand Eidos decision to not liberate the FMVs...

What I am more interested in is what you think, from your conversations with him, whether Mr. McLean is interested in writing that small text (Remember, it doesn't have to be big. "Everything inside this archive is licensed under the terms of the GPL" is fully enough, if put into the same sourcecode archive released years ago.) and how you estimate the likelyness that he will do it in the near future. (So I want just an assessment from you. Probably not easy to understand, because of the detours I took to say this, which is caused by my bad language, which prevents me from saying it straight away...)
* It's in the pipeline exactly as you have suggested and look to have a tangible result within a week or so. I'd like the communication to be directed straight to the Resurrection Project as being an intermediary is a default position I'd rather not be in - or, for that matter, ever did want. I basically used the personal relationship to advance the cause and I'd like to get away from that - esp as i plan on visiting the Bathe studio later this year and I certainly donot want to do it hat in hand but just rather enjoy the company as peeps not seeking anything.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
PSWDeanCorso
Greenhorn

Post by PSWDeanCorso »

Well, I guess one could record interesting 'new versions' from within their backyard ;P