Re: Windows Vista

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
MarkoSan
Greenhorn

Post by MarkoSan »

DevUrandom wrote: Don't expect me to buy Vista to debug this. ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Same here.

;D ;D ;D ;D
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

DevUrandom wrote: Don't expect me to buy Vista to debug this. ;)
Neither will I, nor would I use it if I'd receive it for free.

Part of my motiviation lies here: Bad Vista
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
ioamnesia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ioamnesia »

I don't wish to be the Microsoft whore, but I'm actually enjoying some of the functionality Vista offers, eye candy aside.

Anyway, it looks like it is up to the driver manufacturer to add support.... alas
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Beryl has eye-candy, too...

For the next version of WZ, I am thinking about a new feature/bugfix: "No support for Windows Vista included." ;)
ioamnesia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ioamnesia »

Wah wah wah.... anyway, lets see, installed latest ati drivers 8.3.3 I think, and it won't launch. the old versions I had was 8.1.3 I think
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Veggivore wrote: I have beta tested Vista for my 100+ pc organization and am still trying to show them that Gnome would be about as easy to retrain and implement as Vista.

*Sigh* Why does Linux/OpenSource make people run for the hills? I have patched, virus scanned, disinfected, tried to secure and reinstalled countless XP/2000 workstations. You would think that would make people want to run from Microsoft.
marketing... people run for the hills because of the marketing power employed and used by microsoft, until the people running for the hills remember that microsoft said that all foss people are "hillfolk", at which point they jump into the ocean and make a swim for it.
ioamnesia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ioamnesia »

I appreciate the anti-m$ rants, but can we keep comments in here to relevant bug info, I'll open an anti-Vista post in general. I'd like to see if someone with NVIDIA hardware can confirm this error as I've heard rumors that NVIDIA is including OpenGL support...
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Topic split and moved here...
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

as long as i'm not using windows, i'm decidedly not anti ms (i just happen to think every other alternative is several orders of magnitude better)
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

ioamnesia wrote: I appreciate the anti-m$ rants, but can we keep comments in here to relevant bug info, I'll open an anti-Vista post in general. I'd like to see if someone with NVIDIA hardware can confirm this error as I've heard rumors that NVIDIA is including OpenGL support...
If NVIDEA hasn't already added OpenAL support for Vista, they'll be doing so soon probably.
ioamnesia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ioamnesia »

That's the hope, I just need to know if it is true... I'll be loading fedora up soon so I'll have an alt. Does anyone have plans for multi monitor support?
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

multi-monitor support in wz? we've discussed it a bit, but not recently.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

With Xinerama this should be possible... But I guess it would be a bit strange to command your units if your screen is split between 2 monitors...
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

afaik, you need not actually use require xinerama or any equivalent to achieve the multi-screen effect (though this does have the advantage of "appearing as one screen" to the application) -- opengl should support the creation of one or more distinct context(s) for each logical screen (which is usually mapped to an actual screen), which would allow for different data to be displayed on each screen. of course, if you are just doing "one logical context across multiple screens", then xinerama is by far the best option.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

kage wrote: afaik, you need not actually use require xinerama or any equivalent to achieve the multi-screen effect (though this does have the advantage of "appearing as one screen" to the application) -- opengl should support the creation of one or more distinct context(s) for each logical screen (which is usually mapped to an actual screen), which would allow for different data to be displayed on each screen. of course, if you are just doing "one logical context across multiple screens", then xinerama is by far the best option.
So currently the best option is xinerama. Since we use only logical context. It would however be a nice idea to maybe support multiple contexts in the future (yes, /me is dreaming).