2... game confusions?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

2... game confusions?

Post by themousemaster »

I don't know if these belong in the development forum, and since I don't know if they are bugs either, I will use GD for this post (feel free to move this thread if it will be better positioned elsewhere).

1)  In WZ 1.XX, there was a feature that, if I held down the shift key while building, after placing the structure my build menu would automatically re-open to the page of the structure I just placed, making my ability to create long walls or rows of bunkers easier.  In 2.XX, this only works for the "demolish" command.  I've taken a look in the options menu for key bindings, but didn't see anything that I could use to emulate this functionality.

2)  I make regular use of a combination of Commanders and the "retreat at heavy/medium damage" option (and having trucks follow a large battlegroup to build a repair station right behind the staging area ;p).  The orders themselves work great... until I research auto-repair.  Then what happens is this:  When a unit drops into yellow health, it will retreat to the repair bay, get repaired, and return.  HOWEVER, if there is another unit already being repaired, then the 2nd unit to hit yellow damage will come to a complete stop to wait for the bay to free up.  With auto-repair, however, once it hits a compelte stop, it will begin self-repairing, and WILL NOT MOVE again until it self-repairs to full, even if the repair bay frees up in the meantime (and self repair is far slower than a repair bay).  This has been around since 1.XX, so I assume it's not a bug per-se, but still something that I find irksome ;p.
Cmdr
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 2... game confusions?

Post by Cmdr »

themousemaster wrote:1)  In WZ 1.XX, there was a feature that, if I held down the shift key while building, after placing the structure my build menu would automatically re-open to the page of the structure I just placed, making my ability to create long walls or rows of bunkers easier.  In 2.XX, this only works for the "demolish" command.  I've taken a look in the options menu for key bindings, but didn't see anything that I could use to emulate this functionality.
I think it is Ctrl - Not Shift.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

iirc shift + build works in 2.0.x
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Cmdr
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cmdr »

my bad.  still, whatever it is, it does work.

Im sure I was using Ctrl to que the build process.  Maybe they both work?

Won't know till I play later :D
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

themousemaster wrote:2)  I make regular use of a combination of Commanders and the "retreat at heavy/medium damage" option (and having trucks follow a large battlegroup to build a repair station right behind the staging area ;p).  The orders themselves work great... until I research auto-repair.  Then what happens is this:  When a unit drops into yellow health, it will retreat to the repair bay, get repaired, and return.  HOWEVER, if there is another unit already being repaired, then the 2nd unit to hit yellow damage will come to a complete stop to wait for the bay to free up.  With auto-repair, however, once it hits a compelte stop, it will begin self-repairing, and WILL NOT MOVE again until it self-repairs to full, even if the repair bay frees up in the meantime (and self repair is far slower than a repair bay).  This has been around since 1.XX, so I assume it's not a bug per-se, but still something that I find irksome ;p.
Yes, the auto-repair functionallity doesn't seem to be cooperating very well with the AI code. In fact as soon as a unit stops moving (for whatever reason, whether it is a repair queue or just nothing to do) it won't move again unless it is either finished repairing or is explicitly ordered to do so.

The repair queue isn't as bad IMO really (annoying though). What is a problem though is that units will just let themselves get shot while they're auto-repairing.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Giel wrote: Yes, the auto-repair functionallity doesn't seem to be cooperating very well with the AI code. In fact as soon as a unit stops moving (for whatever reason, whether it is a repair queue or just nothing to do) it won't move again unless it is either finished repairing or is explicitly ordered to do so.

The repair queue isn't as bad IMO really (annoying though). What is a problem though is that units will just let themselves get shot while they're auto-repairing.
It turns out to be bad when your battlegroup is on a 10-tank rotation (a commander with 14 tanks attached, of which any point 4 are en route to/from repairs and the other 10 are attacking), and suddenly you find your commander has only 1 tank with him ;p
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I've done a few more test-games.  With the exception of the "demolish" command, the mini-menu will NOT pop back up after ordering a build command, neither for control nor shift (shift works with demolishing)