Radar detector?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
redhammer
New user

Radar detector?

Post by redhammer »

ive been playin warzone for ever, even on the play station one, but i recently started playin the computer version and found a radar detector turret... i played with it and found absolutely nothing happening. please tell me what does it do?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Radar detector?

Post by Zarel »

It detects sensors.

If an enemy sensor can see it, it lets you see the enemy sensor. Most of the time, there won't be any enemies spying on you, so there's really no radar to "detect".
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

does the wide spectrum sensor also includes this one?
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

winsrp wrote:does the wide spectrum sensor also includes this one?
No.

Making it the only sensor not outdated by it.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

it should be included...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

No, it shouldn't.

Why should it be included?
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Slightly off topic...

I actually have to be honest.

I think the Wide Spectrum Sensor detracts from the game.

I mean to explain it as best I can, might as well combine an all-rounder an an AP gun...

I think having an all-in-one tower just...detracts is all.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

I feel some negative feelings in here today...

Well if the wide spectrum sensor was made uppon the idea of having a all in 1 radar, and the radar detector came later, then I do think that it should include radar detector, on the other hand.... I do think that the wide spectrum sensor have WAY too much range, for an all in 1... normally more dedicated radars should be best at what their are doing, and multi-purpose radars should be less efective, so:

add radar detector to Wide spectrum sensor
decrease Wide spectrum sensor initial range to 10
Increase normal radar initial range to 14
decrease CB radar initial range to 14
decrease vtol radar initial range to 14
decrease cb vtol radar initial range to 14
Increase radar detector range to 14

Definitely a mod winner for my mod, but its a shame that Wide spectrum sensor does not has Radar detector. This is the way I see it, my 2 cents.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I do not really have a strong opinion either way. However, let me just point out that the radar detector is special in that it is quiet/passive, and does not betray its position to other radar detectors, unlike all other sensors.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

I've also noticed an issue with the Wide Spectrum sensor mounted on mobile units.

If you use a wide spectrum sensor to lead an artillery force, and it comes under attack from artillery and you move it out of the way, it'll keep changing course and going back to designate the enemy artillery due to the counter-battery aspect of it. I've lost quite a few sensor units that way.
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

Q: What does a Radar Detector Do?
A:
Zarel wrote:It detects sensors.
If an enemy sensor can see it, it lets you see the enemy sensor. Most of the time, there won't be any enemies spying on you, so there's really no radar to "detect".
I'm sorry but to me, this description is not informative enough. If I move a unit within range I can see a sensor tower. So what is the real value of having Radar Detector? Will a Radar Detector tower tell assigned artillery units to attack the enemy's sensors before other targets (like a CB Tower does with enemy artillery)?

Also, it would be helpful if this information were added in the Guide.
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

kenalcock wrote:I'm sorry but to me, this description is not informative enough. If I move a unit within range I can see a sensor tower. So what is the real value of having Radar Detector? Will a Radar Detector tower tell assigned artillery units to attack the enemy's sensors before other targets (like a CB Tower does with enemy artillery)?

Also, it would be helpful if this information were added in the Guide.
You have to move a unit within its own sensor range (generally 8 tiles) before you can see a sensor tower. A radar detector will detect any sensor that sees it (can be 12-26 tiles).
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

i like the sensors as they are. i understand about the radar detector. the way it would work tho appearing to work in a similar fashion to radars and CB turrets, the tech involved and how it does its job is sufficiently dissimilar, you might as well try to combine a sword with a shield...somethings just dont go.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Note that the range in which the radar detector detects an enemy radar is at twice the range of the enemy sensor. So you can see it even if it cannot see you - and what is more, the more powerful the enemy sensor, the more likely you will see it! Conversely, though, your own sensor upgrades do not affect your radar detector.