StartCraft 2 no LAN play?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

StartCraft 2 no LAN play?

Post by Buginator »

It appears that StarCraft II will be losing one of the franchise's most popular features. In an interview with IncGamers, Rob Pardo, VP of game design indicated that LAN would not be supported for the upcoming RTS sequel. "We will not support it," he said. Instead, the only multiplayer for the game will be found through Battle.Net, Blizzard's online service that is currently being redesigned.
Idiots!!

Maybe the Koreans will switch to warzone instead? ;)
and it ends here.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Re: StartCraft 2 no LAN play?

Post by cybersphinx »

Nothing more to say, really.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

cybersphinx wrote: Nothing more to say, really.
You can still increase the double facepalm:

We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Meh...

I've always felt Starcraft was overrated.

When I say that, I don't mean terrible. Just really overblown. People consider it the "best RTS ever made" but it's really not that innovative.

Sure it's well balanced, it has a good story...but, what else? Total Annihilation came a year before it and was tons more innovative that Starcraft was.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Warzone's more fun than StarCraft, in some ways.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Kamaze wrote:You can still increase the double facepalm
Hm, I don't know, those lack the impact of a good Picard facepalm alone, and don't stand a chance against him and Riker.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Hmmm, interesting decision... no LAN support.. I wonder if it has anything to do with... (see below).

On WZ replacing SC in LAN with the Asian fan base - NEVER gonna happen and I'll tell you why.

SC has 3 very distinct factions that are nicely balanced and lend themselves to the high passions of pro sport gaming for big time money and the gambling associated with all that which also involves huge money.

Regards, whip
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

:stare:
Zarel wrote:Warzone's more fun than StarCraft, in some ways.
:stare:

dont you mean in ALL ways... xD
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

No, StarCraft's a lot more stable than Warzone. And better balanced, in general. And the controls are a lot easier to deal with: No 3D means you don't have to mess around with the camera to find a good angle.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

I find it boring, though. And it's just not innovative.

I find C&C boring too, to be honest, but I respect the earlier games out of principle just for pioneering RTS games. The only one I remotely enjoyed playing though is Generals (I know, blasphemy), and that's only because it got rid of the dumb construction yard concept I never liked. Even then the game was glitchy and practically unfinished from the start so it needed modding...I was a beta tester for the Shockwave mod for Generals from mid-2005 to early 2007 but I had...well, let's just say, "conflicts" with the staff.

Starcraft didn't pioneer anything. It's just at best an above-average game with a good storyline and very good balance. I just find the gameplay...err...flat, for lack of a better term. I just think it's overrated, not terrible though, or even bad. I'm not arrogant enough to say a game sucks just because it doesn't suit my tastes (unlike some people I've conversed with...).

Also I honest to God hate C&C Red Alert 2/3, clownish gimmicky bullshit. I really think the later C&C games are just un-innovative and frankly bland. It seems many C&C games distract you with campy live-action cutscenes to hide what's in reality a bland, flat game that runs mostly on silly, gimmicky units (Red Alert 2 and 3 are the extremes of that example...God I hate them.)

Truth be told, the most underrated RTS is Warzone 2100.

I'm a fan of Supreme Commander as well, but it has flaws, I won't deny that, however I feel that many people unfairly bash the game without realizing it's very innovative in it's own right.

For the record this is coming from someone who's first RTS game was Star Wars: Force Commander...who's only saving grace was music and story. I won't defend the game if it's attacked, as it's most glaring problem was it's godawful interface. Honestly if I wasn't a hardcore classic Star Wars fan I never would have gotten it. I still defend it out of nostalgia though...heh, if I hear a track to the game I go into bliss, same with Warzone 2100.

Somehow I managed to get pretty far in it...I guess back in the day since it was the only RTS game I played I didn't have a frame of reference so I didn't realize it was subpar. It did have -some- unique/interesting aspects, but not enough to save it.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Warzone's unpopular. Among the people who do play it, though, it's not necessarily underrated.

StarCraft, on the other hand... The performance! Oh, man, the performance was pretty great. The controls were easier to use than Warzone, and it had better graphics (sure, they were 2D, but because they were 2D, they could be a lot more detailed).

And the factions were really quite unique. Compare to SupCom, where every faction is exactly the same, with only a few differences.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Zarel wrote:Warzone's unpopular. Among the people who do play it, though, it's not necessarily underrated.
Define underrated. And I don't think unpopular is the right term...obscure would be better.
Zarel wrote: And the factions were really quite unique. Compare to SupCom, where every faction is exactly the same, with only a few differences.
I won't deny that the factions in Starcraft were extremely diverse. Same could be said for Universe at War (though it was gimmicky).

But honest to God, I get sick and tired of people saying the factions in Supcom are "the same". Actually, it's just the f*****g opposite. The only exact similarities are in certain buildings like nuclear missile silos and anti-missile defenses; sh*t that doesn't need to be unique.

Otherwise the units are extremely unbalanced (ironically) and very different; one on one speaking without tactics taken into account.

Tech 1 is when they're the most similar, I won't deny, but the rest they vary greatly.

Play the game for a good length of time and you'll realize this.

To summarize:

UEF are heavily armored, arguably the slowest faction, have high arcing turrets (giving them terrain advantage), are in between the two extremes of Aeon and Cybran when it comes to artillery, they have more support/utility units than other teams, and they just have the most brute force in general. Their turrets however conversely turn rather slowly making them more easily strafed or kited.

Cybran tend to be fast on average over the other teams, and they have a lot of multi-purpose units (their cruiser has the same firepower as their destroyer despite being primarily an AA weapon, their destroyer can walk on land, their Tech 1 AA can shoot ground, their Mantises can help with construction, and I could go on), as well as having the best missile weapons overall. Their artillery is imprecise but has a high-yield, allowing them to rain indiscriminate destruction. They have some EMP weapons, and the most advanced stealth. They have no mobile or personal shields, and the only shield they do have, their stationary one, while cheap, is weak. This combined with their lower armor than most other teams means they're the most easily destroyed. Conversely all their tech 3 planes have stealth, and they're the only team to have mobile stealth field generators, and their stationary stealth field generators are cheaper and have a larger range. A lot of Cybran direct-fire weapons are precise and hit instantly, but fire in straight beams so terrain can seriously effect them negatively. Interestingly all Cybran amphibious units do not hover or float(not counting engineers), but drive under water, making for some interesting stealth strategies.

Aeons are just the opposite of the Cybrans in most ways: Their units are all single purpose, even more so than other teams, for instance all other teams have AA on their destroyers and frigates and battleships (though light), but the Aeon do not. So at Tech 1 they have a unique AA only boat, and their Tech 2 cruiser has the most potent AA but the weakest direct fire gun (Seraphim cruiser has no direct fire gun, but we'll get to them.) Whatever an Aeon unit is purpose built for it excels at, to put it simply. Their units generally have low-rates of fire but very high initial shot damage...this means that they're the only faction where mixing tech 1 defenses at Tech 2 might be a good idea, or with their AA mixing Tech 2 Flak with Tech 3 AA missiles because their T3 AA reload slowly (but are powerful). They also have a lot of hover units, giving them a massive advantage on water maps. They have the second most advanced shields in the game, but their armor is average overall. Really depends on the unit.

The Seraphim are the bizarre faction...some say they combine Aeon and Cybran, or Aeon and UEF...they have a lot of multi-purpose units to make up for their slightly lower unit selection, and they have some units that really are halfway between the equivilents on other faction's tech levels...these units, being the Tech 2 Assault Bot and the Tech 3 Seige tank, are extremely cost effective. Overall though it's hard to describe them.

Mind you I got the game late so I had it with all patches and I mostly play the expansion. I know Vanilla Supcom unpatched is unbalanced hell but I can tell you one thing Forged Alliance is a great game. They refined all of the issues in the original.

But trust me when I tell you this; the factions are not the same. They use completely different tactics. The supposed "similarities" between the factions are a mere illusion, trust me on that. The only place where the units are mostly similar is on Tech 1, and even then there are some differences.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Okay, I was exaggerating a bit. Of course SupCom has faction differentiation.... every faction game has faction differentiation. I'm just saying it has lots less faction differentiation than StarCraft.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Maybe so, I mean yeah Starcraft's factions have completely different gameplay styles. The only other RTS I know of like that is Universe at War.
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

It is a money grab, pure and simple.
They can not stream ads on LAN games, so they make everyone sign into battlenet.

Pissants.
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.