StartCraft 2 no LAN play?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
A4tech
Trained
Trained

Re: StartCraft 2 no LAN play?

Post by A4tech »

No man, it's not money grab. This is just tactic movement. In Bnet you can log only with valid CD-Key, valid CD-key = purchased game. A lot of people don't buy it, because grab it from torent and other P2P. So, maybe blizzard done good move to avoid piracy copying.
But... Good people will try to make smthing like PVPGN project and we will have Bnet for free :D
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

A4tech wrote:No man, it's not money grab. This is just tactic movement. In Bnet you can log only with valid CD-Key, valid CD-key = purchased game. A lot of people don't buy it, because grab it from torent and other P2P. So, maybe blizzard done good move to avoid piracy copying.
But... Good people will try to make smthing like PVPGN project and we will have Bnet for free :D
It is a money grab, Bnet will have ads, the more people they can get to connect to Bnet the more they will get paid. It will be cracked just like everything is, and the pirates will get to play LAN and legit users get screwed again.

Most LANs do not have more than 1 external IP so they can not use Bnet to play.
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm not sure I would characterize any of that as a "money grab" without knowing what the development costs + promotion costs + manufacturing & distribution costs are.

In the case of the recent "GTA 4" the development costs alone were $ 100 Million and adding the costs to bring it to market could have close to doubled that figure as happened in the case of "Halo 3" with a development cost of $ 30 million which when combined with the other costs brought it up to $ 60 million. Creating a biz model to garner a ROI on those magnitude costs before a single game is even sold would place Blizzard's actions in the context of doing what it must to not go bankrupt and remain a viable for profit business into the future. Perhaps an instance of perspective here as in seeing the glass half empty or half full. The term 'money grab' usually being associated with greed and an inordinate profit margin relative to a very low initial investment to bring to market which would seem not to apply with pre any sale investments of the magnitudes sited.

Regards, whip :ninja:
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

-Kosh- wrote:Most LANs do not have more than 1 external IP so they can not use Bnet to play.
Where is the technical problem to connect more than 1 time to bnet from different machines inside the same network ???
for this is nat ...

or is blizzard ip-blocking if you try to connect more than 1 time from the same ip? this would be new for me ...
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

Thyranim wrote: Where is the technical problem to connect more than 1 time to bnet from different machines inside the same network ???
for this is nat ...

or is blizzard ip-blocking if you try to connect more than 1 time from the same ip? this would be new for me ...
That is what I read, 1 IP per key/login.
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
Black NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by Black NEXUS »

Shall this what now again?

Battle.Net shall first get with costs, one then must for World of Warcraft still lays out, then shall not be playable about local area network Starcraft 2 what still comes? Monthly be due if one buys a game which is online capable of garnicht?

Therefore please, blizzard really only thinks of the money, of this these must have more actually when enough!

I want to play and not pay !!!
Join NeoX-Virt - The Software-Forge on neox-virt.de
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

-Kosh- wrote:That is what I read, 1 IP per key/login.
1 ip per key is normal and also for starcraft-1 and all other
so 1 key for 1 game for 1 person so only for 1 ip
but 2 keys can have the same ip, not? that are different keys, so different licenses...

and as i have read before, they seem to be waiting for release to see the reaction, and perhaps add lan afterwards via update or something else
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

Older RTSs supporting more than one player per license, and FOSS games will always have the technical advantage over newer games.

The logistics for current LAN gaming are ridiculous, each license is cost-prohibitive, let alone each gaming computer required to run modern commercial games.

Which is why consoles are so popular: One console, one game, four players.
BestRTS
New user

Post by BestRTS »

Well I am eagerly awaiting the Starcraft 2 release. I totally loved the original and think it is possibly the best rts of all time however not allowing LAN for the sequel is a major suck! I sooo agree with Kacen about C&C tho... the only one I enjoyed was Generals and can barely even look at a Red Alert game cover without yawning lol. Warzone is an all time classic man, can't wait for it to download : )
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

Post by XHero_of_ChaosX »

I believe i'll be sticking with Diablo 3 when it comes out. :twisted: to me, Diablo and the Warcraft RTS are the only games that Blizzard did right. cant stand WoW, and i only like the original Starcraft.. I hate all of that Battlenet stuff. especially in Diablo 2. you couldnt ever really have a party except in game, and you had to make sure everyone new the password and game name to the game you were in. I dont know why they couldnt have just had servers like every other RTS, and everyone plays on each one of those servers. that would have been better in my opinion.
What is at a peak is certain to decline. He who shows his hand will surely be defeated. He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible. ~Cão Cão
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Personally I like red alert 2 quite much. It's of course a bit toy-like overall, has lots of technobabble and was never meant to be realistic, even if it has live cutscenes, so I understand that it does not suit everyone's tastes.
It was a very innovative game, though, with absolutely cool interactive city landscapes and great isometric graphics with voxel-rendered 3d units. The fact that you can steal technology and combine it with your own, even though the factions are quite different in style and unit types, is also a very cool and unique feature.

Overall it's a very good game because it simply works, with good AI, functional random map generator and balanced and relatively bug free gameplay. These are propably the reasons that starcraft is also so popular.

On topic, I agree that blizzard is just trying to pump as much money as possible out of the game. It's been functional years ago and all the balancing is also pretty much done. The only reason it's not yet released is that it could hurt the income from WoW.
And the unability to play lan just sucks, as does the requirement to be constantly connected to the internet.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

I have to say when it comes to Command and Conquer i really like the Tiberian Wars saga more than Red Alert. I love mammoth tanks! :D

And about that constant internet thing, i think thats the dumbest thing ever created for a game in my opinion. It limits a lot of people from playing the game, and also disappoints people into not wanting to buy the game. I think $$$ is the only thing in their head at the moment.
What is at a peak is certain to decline. He who shows his hand will surely be defeated. He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible. ~Cão Cão
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Yeah, I saw an interview with the head of pixar once and he said that in many successful companies, the people there tend to forget or misunderstand the reason why they became successful in the first place. After that they only seek to maximize their profits from already estabilished franchises.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

yeah, makes sense with most companies today im afraid.

so do you think they'll put in a patch that gives Starcraft2 LAN capability?