Tech Tree

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Tech Tree

Post by J.Vaughan »

- Tech tree on the main site is awesome however even in it's liner mode I find it some what difficult to use. Especially if one was in game and had it running on another screen.

-I love this version of the tech tree display http://docs.wz2100.net/documents%20project3/index3.html however it's highly out of date. I admit it could be a little bit quicker to navigate but it's the easiest I found so far. Just click on the item type up top, navigate to it and click on the specific item. Voila! Now all you have to do is scroll down to what ever technology you're currently at. example -> http://docs.wz2100.net/documents%20proj ... tower.html

-Any possibility of someone wanting to take this on and bring it up to date? I understand the time and effort that has gone into the current one on the site however I find this much more user friendly, even for newer users I try to get addicted to the game.

-Thanks lav for the original update back in the 1.10-1.12 era!

-Also I noticed we have some but not all descriptions in the guide.wz. I was wondering what happened to all the in game descriptions that appear in the in game intelligence display when you first research the base turret. e.g. flamethrower: affective against wheeled vehicles and infantry. base points medium, ect.. Would it be possible to de-complile those descriptions and throw them on there if they're even still accurate with all the re-balancing. If not I could type them up, however I'm not entirely sure I'm 100% correct on the 400+ technologies and their exact strengths.

-I'd love to do the whole thing myself but 1) I have no clue how to work with html, even in programs or let alone carry over the structure that tech tree has (keep all the links working properly) and 2) I don't even know where to start or what web editing programs to use. However, number 3) I'm a college student studying aviation, I pretty much am burnt or too busy for anything more than a game here or there.

-Would it involve a lot of work?
XboxJosh
Trained
Trained

Re: Tech Tree

Post by XboxJosh »

-Any possibility of someone wanting to take this on and bring it up to date? I understand the time and effort that has gone into the current one on the site however I find this much more user friendly, even for newer users I try to get addicted to the game.
http://guide.wz2100.net/r/tech-tree

Alias: Cipher[SSC]

System Specs:
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional
CPU TYPE: AMD Athlon II X2 250
CPU SPEED: 3000 MHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 4 GB (2 x 2GB, DDR2)
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL: NVidia GTS 250
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

^^ That's the tech tree I'm referring to. It's beautiful and well thought out however I find it impractical for searching the tech tree quickly. Even in the linear view it's easy to get lost because to find what technologies come before it you have to scroll up for several different levels of the hierarchy.

Great work IMO, just something I don't forsee helping the newer players get to where they want to be let alone more exposed players like myself. I'm like the tech tree I've posted above because it's simple, quick and easy to follow the prerequisites. It can even be used while in a game with no real loss to time spend microing the battlefield.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

http://guide.wz2100.net/

zarel has redone the tectree - and you asked how long it takes for such things to be done... well it took me a little over 4 years - plus 2 years of experimenting with different options of delivery - ie: the chm file compared to basic html stuff. chm was highly compacted and a nice little packege,but was unusable for the other operating systems... so had to pretty much stick with html... i thought about going with pdf but not being a Mr. Rich - will leave that for others to explore. xD
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

Wasn't bashing your tech tree Zarel!

Thanks for the hard work everyone!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

You guys all need to READ. Every tech tree thread, ten people link to my tech tree, even the ones in which the thread starter already mentions my tech tree (both versions) and explains why it's inadequate. -_-
J.Vaughan wrote:- Tech tree on the main site is awesome however even in it's liner mode I find it some what difficult to use. Especially if one was in game and had it running on another screen.
What's wrong with it?
J.Vaughan wrote:-I love this version of the tech tree display http://docs.wz2100.net/documents%20project3/index3.html however it's highly out of date. I admit it could be a little bit quicker to navigate but it's the easiest I found so far. Just click on the item type up top, navigate to it and click on the specific item. Voila! Now all you have to do is scroll down to what ever technology you're currently at. example -> http://docs.wz2100.net/documents%20proj ... tower.html
You can do the same thing with my Guide (and the linear tech tree has the item types up top, too):
http://guide.wz2100.net/

Just click on the item type up top, navigate to it, and click on "Prerequisites" to the right of the specific item. Voila! (You can also click on a tech in either tech tree to see its prerequisite tree)
J.Vaughan wrote:-Any possibility of someone wanting to take this on and bring it up to date? I understand the time and effort that has gone into the current one on the site however I find this much more user friendly, even for newer users I try to get addicted to the game.
As mentioned: I already did.
J.Vaughan wrote:-Also I noticed we have some but not all descriptions in the guide.wz. I was wondering what happened to all the in game descriptions that appear in the in game intelligence display when you first research the base turret. e.g. flamethrower: affective against wheeled vehicles and infantry. base points medium, ect.. Would it be possible to de-complile those descriptions and throw them on there if they're even still accurate with all the re-balancing. If not I could type them up, however I'm not entirely sure I'm 100% correct on the 400+ technologies and their exact strengths.
Erm, the descriptions are already here. For instance, for flamer, see:
http://guide.wz2100.net/r/flamer
J.Vaughan wrote:-I'd love to do the whole thing myself but 1) I have no clue how to work with html, even in programs or let alone carry over the structure that tech tree has (keep all the links working properly) and 2) I don't even know where to start or what web editing programs to use. However, number 3) I'm a college student studying aviation, I pretty much am burnt or too busy for anything more than a game here or there.

-Would it involve a lot of work?
As mentioned above, it's already done. ;)
J.Vaughan wrote:^^ That's the tech tree I'm referring to. It's beautiful and well thought out however I find it impractical for searching the tech tree quickly. Even in the linear view it's easy to get lost because to find what technologies come before it you have to scroll up for several different levels of the hierarchy.
...or you could just click on the tech. In either tech tree. Which will come up with a screen that shows just its prerequisites...
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

Zarel, you're tech tree is amazing and up to date and I've used it/been using it. Although I did understand that there was no point in duplicating things, even in the linear mode I find your tech tree somewhat difficult to understand. Main point in being that the expanding and collapsing menus just make it hard to trace in a linear progression. Although I've gotten better at it, I still believe that the one I posted above is easier to understand.

With that being said, it's just personal preference and it was probably the wrong thing to ask because an up to date, descriptive tech tree exists, you're tech tree.

Additionally, don't take it personal . I understand that everything you've done here, you've all done here, is voluntary and on your own free time (of which I'm positive it takes a lot of.) It was wrong of me to ask for a different version just because I find it easier to understand. I do take into account the fact that it's not your responsibility to anyone to create such things and you do so out of your own generosity so I re-iterate, it was wrong for me to ask.

I do want to thank you for your tech tree Zarel and I appreciate the time you've put into it. I knew that yours had the descriptions from in game which turned out to provide with not much to game (after reading them I just noticed) but you're guide section hits the nail head on.

To answer your question "What's wrong with it?" The answer is nothing! It's great, I was basing my post on preference. :rolleyes:

Don't be mad at me ;) I love your guys' work and I do read the forums!
You guys all need to READ.
With this being said can we delete this thread? I shouldn't have posted in the first place... I'd rather not people going around thinking I hate Zarel ;)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

J.Vaughan wrote:Zarel, you're tech tree is amazing and up to date and I've used it/been using it. Although I did understand that there was no point in duplicating things, even in the linear mode I find your tech tree somewhat difficult to understand. Main point in being that the expanding and collapsing menus just make it hard to trace in a linear progression. Although I've gotten better at it, I still believe that the one I posted above is easier to understand.
What I don't understand is the difference between mine and the one you posted above. They're pretty much the exact same thing, except mine has a tech tree and yours doesn't.

Are you having trouble noticing the tabs at the top?

Base Structures: http://guide.wz2100.net/b/
Defenses: http://guide.wz2100.net/d/
Turrets: http://guide.wz2100.net/w/
Cyborgs: http://guide.wz2100.net/c/
Bodies and propulsion: http://guide.wz2100.net/bp/

Your "preference" is what's confusing me here. You're telling me that you prefer a style of tech tree where you can see a list of items and their prerequisites in tabs of each category, but my Guide is exactly that.

I just can't see the difference between:

I mean, you can get something's prerequisites by clicking:

Which will lead you to: http://guide.wz2100.net/r/widespectrumsensortower

Which is pretty much the same thing as: http://docs.wz2100.net/documents%20proj ... tower.html
J.Vaughan wrote:Additionally, don't take it personal . I understand that everything you've done here, you've all done here, is voluntary and on your own free time (of which I'm positive it takes a lot of.) It was wrong of me to ask for a different version just because I find it easier to understand. I do take into account the fact that it's not your responsibility to anyone to create such things and you do so out of your own generosity so I re-iterate, it was wrong for me to ask.
There's no need to feed my ego or anything like that; it's clear to everyone involved that you don't disapprove of me.

Regardless, I want to see my guide improved as much as you do, so if there's something you think it could be improved on, please feel free to say so. I can take criticism; in fact, I would prefer it.
J.Vaughan wrote:With this being said can we delete this thread? I shouldn't have posted in the first place... I'd rather not people going around thinking I hate Zarel ;)
No, we generally don't close threads unless it's necessary. No one here's being offended or harmed or anything...

That said, I would like to clear up what appears to be a misunderstanding here.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

I have no complaints about all of the above.

However I prefer this...

To a hierarchy like this...

Where you can get lost easily, especially on rather advanced items on the exact order of research. Partly because you have to trace lines up from the bottom and partly because you have to scroll up the page on longer trees. The hierarchy allows you to see what research enables what prerequisite but it makes it harder to keep track of what to research first.

From what I understand the flow goes like so...

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Oh! I see what you mean now. Yes, I can certainly add something like that.

Do you think a "Recommended Research Order" button next to "Expand" and "Collapse" would be clear enough?
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

Zarel wrote:Oh! I see what you mean now. Yes, I can certainly add something like that.

Do you think a "Recommended Research Order" button next to "Expand" and "Collapse" would be clear enough?
Of course! :D
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

J.Vaughan wrote:Of course! :D
I mean, do you think, if I hadn't pointed it out to you, that you would have noticed a "Recommended Research Order" button, and realized what it did?
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

yeah sometimes I have also looked for the path of getting to certain upgrade, and i get lots on the graph/list tree and quit the idea of figuring something out.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

Yeah, the name of the link is self explanatory provided they find the tech tree (which shouldn't be too much of a problem since most people are catching on to the guide by now.) I would notice it, I'm sure others would as well.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

winsrp wrote:yeah sometimes I have also looked for the path of getting to certain upgrade, and i get lots on the graph/list tree and quit the idea of figuring something out.
You can always do it just by going from bottom to top, and skipping around a bit if necessary.

I mean, it's not like you can follow a linear list exactly: You can't go straight to any given tech, you have to get MG Tower to survive until then, probably a Power Module, get started on that Research Module, get started on better defenses so you're not overrun, etc etc.

I think it works better as a tree, because you see something like "lancer", and you go "Oh, I know how to get that", so you can just collapse everything under it, and you can do the same for the others, until you get something where it's pretty easy to see how to get something.