Aivolution vs NTW vs Original?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
mth91
New user

Aivolution vs NTW vs Original?

Post by mth91 »

So I saw that there's three options I can choose to run the game, but I don't know what the differences are, and i've been looking around and still can't find anything to shed some light on this. What are the differences between these game modes?
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Re: Aivolution vs NTW vs Original?

Post by fisk0 »

original is the original game (not too different from the retail version released in 1999)
aivolution is an alternate skirmish AI (should be better than the default AI, but I haven't compared them, and if you play allied with one you can order them to attack specific players and such stuff)
and NTW is a mod with an expanded tech tree I think (you begin the tech tree with scavenger technology).
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Aivolution vs NTW vs Original?

Post by Zarel »

Just use the original, no one cares about the others.

*tomatoes*

Okay, fine. Aivolution is a different and more difficult AI. I'd advise against using it since it was balanced for a completely different and unbalanced version of the game, and it hasn't been maintained at all since that version, making it moderately prone to crashes. If you want a better AI, you may wish to try BecomePrey: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3018

NTW is a mod that changes up the graphics a lot, adds a few new weapons/bodies, starts everyone with scavenger units, and makes a few other changes. Its AIs are rather screwy, but you're not going to find much luck playing anyone in multiplayer, either, and its balance is also rather screwy, so I'm not entirely sure what its intended usage is.

Both mods apply only to skirmish/multiplayer modes, not to campaign.